What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show us what you are working on..

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Very nice - We just need to pick a date for a float day. Will wait a bit for things to return a bit more normal.

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Got the Lockheed Starliner plans fully scaled up from the balsa and printed out full size so i can get a good look at them. 61" nose to tail and about 81" wingspan. Trying to decide if i want to go 4 motors or 2 with 2 faux pods.
IMG_20200519_185921 (Large).jpg

Still slowly kitbashing parts onto the tugster
IMG_20200520_211717 (Large).jpg

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Nate - I am one to cheap out, but I think if you are going to go to the trouble to build that Starliner you better go with 4 motors. I don't think they need to be anything fancy, you will not need much power for scale flight. Then program it so you can taxi on just 2 motors after landing. :)

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Actually the one spot i am having trouble researching is the retracts. If anybody has some recommendations for places to get them other than say hobbyking that would be helpful. I have a few on hobbyking that i may try. Places like eflite, motionrc, horizonhobby, they have em but they are all listed as replacements for existing models. I will probably have to buy the retract mechanisms, wheels, and diy the connectors between them with aluminium.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
My avatar is of a 4 engine transport, 2 meter. I chose to power all 4 pods as to allow the motors to operate closer to their peak efficiency (not peak power). As these are EDF and back in the days of round cell efficiency was paramount.

Why is the fact that the units are listed as replacements concern you? I've grown to love the electric retract with current limiter. So much better than the pneumatic and "mechanical" retracts of the past. I will say you might want to look at pins that are 5mm maybe even 6mm.

I did much the same thing fitting after market retracts to a design that had the geometry all wrong.

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
The fact they are replacements isnt a problem, its more that because its assumed you are replacing them you dont need to know the tire diameter, weight limit of the units, height of the legs etc.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Understood. Those spec's at Motion Sickness make me sick, like Type "B", Type "C". That tells me nothing! I'd like to see at least some idea as to the flang mount. An upside of calling out the model you can see what they fit. Doing some research you can find if they are stong enough for the weight. Strut geometetry, strut size and wheels are usually a seperate spec'd (item) from the retract unit itself.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of folks here on Aloft's forum. Didn't I agree with Wayne about the use of 4 engines?

Now I also have a lot of strong opinions that are counter to the established norms!:rolleyes::sneaky:

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
LOL - Konrad, I know you are not aware of this, but you are perceived as a very negative person online. I know you will have a long response to this, but PLEASE don't. Just give people a hint of a smile from time to time. It goes a long way.

For those that do not know Konrad is actually a nice person, very nice. Just has some rough edges online. ?

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I'm well aware of this. As I'm not here to make friends but rather drive the discussion towards improvements both in the product and in customer experience. I don't want folks to suffer the same issue I have. Particularly one that might be easy to fix early in the modeling process. I hope I can do this by showing how I addressed the issue.

Now where have I belittled anyone other than "management";) or the government!
What I don't see is how anybody could take offense to me pointing out the flaws in products and services. Well, not unless they are offering the flawed product*

Yes, I point out the negative aspects of products and services. :confused: (Sorry I can't smile about that).

Just going back one page I find this possitive post about a members creativity. Post #213
So I reject thenatedog's premise.;) And yes, I'm well thank you!:p;):)

* I need to be clear that Aloft and Wayne have been exemplary in their service. (y)

All the best,
Konrad

P.S.
I hope that was short enough.:)

Last edited:

bracesport

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I have not been building or flying the traditional sense over the lockdown - I have been on the (Aerofly RC7) Sim mostly at Torrey Pines and I think I have finally nailed the down wind turns - with a bit of help I have also converted the Spitfire to a sloper (no motor, no prop, hand launches) .... which is awesome!

Let me know if you want the code to mod yours?

spitfire.jpg

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Man we need to talk @bracesport , i have tried a couple times to get that sim working and i just kind of give up as im missing something with my controller setup.

I purchased DevWing Foam 2 yesterday and been watching a bunch of tutorials. Since i made my DIY 4 axis cnc hot cutter i have been trying to get away with free software and finally realized that a lot of the frustration and "fiddling" with settings i have been doing is a result of that. In one hour i was able to have more success than months of trying to get the free stuff to work. Got a v1 cut designed for the horizontal stab on the starliner. The software is crazy powerful with so many things i will never use, but also easily allows you to skip those things you dont need.
IMG_20200521_165908 (Large).jpg
For instance on my current 4 meter plank build i hired Daniel on rcgroups to cut the cores, mainly as the cutting distance on those cores is like 4 times my current setup and figuring out how to split it up manually was just more than i wanted to do. This software makes it just a couple clicks to split a designed wing into multiple pieces. Even rotating it 90 degrees onto its side to cut the top profile of say a rounded wing tip.

Learning this software and Mold making are my two hobby goals this year, aside from maidening like 7 planes i have sitting on the rack :ROFLMAO:

bracesport

Very Strong User
Reaction score
A bit more progress with the simulator - still at Torrey Pines, but this time with a Spitfire that I have been modifying from aeroplane to glider - the first part of the video is with the standard Spitfire and the prop - with the power off acts like a brake (just like in real life) - the second part is with my modified 'Slope-fire' (no prop no motor) - the wind is about 9 m/s so is quite brisk - making progress!

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Got everything laid out to vacuum bag the other wing of the 4 meter plank cuz it's going to be a nice hot day tomorrow I'm sure the epoxy will love it.
IMG_20200524_175957.jpg

Zip kit tugster got a little bit of paint today
IMG_20200524_164403.jpg