What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Receivers won't connect, register, or bind anymore

getsuyoubi

Active User
Reaction score
I got my radio back today, together with the three receivers - and I'm having the same problem! Videos of a failed binding process can be found here:
The receiver just flashes red and green, and the radio does not "see" it. Trying to register looks exactly the same - the RX flashes red and green, and the radio is searching for a receiver.
During all my attempts today I once got a "no SD card" error message! I guess my problems are somehow related to this. I was able to clear that error by removing and re-inserting the SD card, and i also prepared a second card using the backup I had made before my last update. However, the result when trying to bind or register remains the same.
I guess I have to send the radio in for service again, unless someone here has an idea.

Landru

Strong User
Reaction score
Did you power up the receiver before you entered bind mode in the transmitter?

I wasn't sure based on the videos. If you did, that could be the problem. The transmitter must be put in bind mode before the receiver is powered. At least, that's the case with OpenTx. I would expect the same with EthOS.

That said, the SD card warning seems odd.

getsuyoubi

Active User
Reaction score
No, I powered it up after entering bind mode. I had to record separate videos because it took forever to connect the battery while holding my phone in one hand.
I'm kind of glad about the SD card warning because now I have a second hint that something is wrong.

MikeB

Very Strong User
Reaction score
You show an attempt to bind, but have you registered the Rx first (needed when using ACCESS)?
To bind an ACCESS receiver:
1. Power on the Rx with the "bind" button pressed.
2. On the Tx select "REGISTER". The Tx shows required settings and you select REGISTER on that screen.
3. A popup will show that registration is OK, the LEDs on the Rx should have changed.
4. Power off the Rx.
5. On the Tx select "Bind" beside an unused Rx, a popup should show "Waiting for receiver".
6. Power on the Rx, A popup should show "Select Device" with the device name set in (2.) above.
7. Select the device, a popup should show "Bind OK" and the Rx then responds to controls.

Mike

getsuyoubi

Active User
Reaction score
Yes, I tried to register, but it fails on step 3 of your list. The radio just doesn't "find" any receiver to register. Actually, it does not even finish step 2 - the radio shows the settings but I cannot edit anything, because the registration fails.

gnichola

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Didn't you say that you had sent the radio and the receivers into the service center and they were able to register & bind them? If so, it seems you might want to get in touch with them and make sure they actually registered and bound the receivers. If so, it seems pointless to send them all back in.

MikeB

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I haven't got a SR8 to test, I'm using a R8-PRO.
I recall the older, ACCST, S8R needed the bind button held pressed for about a second to make it enter bind mode. Perhaps the SR8 also needs this.
Also worth trying the registration with the Tx and various distances from the Rx (anything up to 4 feet away).

Mike

Landru

Strong User
Reaction score
Supposedly, all the suspect receivers were registered and bound to a test model created in the radio at the service centre. If so, all those receivers should still be registered. Binding would be a simple process that wouldn't require the bind button. Of course, registration would be a different matter.

A few further of thoughts:
  1. Are any of the receivers still bound to the test model that was created in the service centre? Or has the connection somehow been lost in those cases?
  2. Either way, you could create a new model yourself and try to bind to it without re-registering.
  3. If the data on your SD card is corrupted, the same corruption might appear in your backups. I've encountered SD data corruption in one of my FrSky radios. The prime suspect was a fault in the card. However, there was no definitive resolution. A useful precaution is to format every card with the SD Association card app. For even more certainty, you may use an industrial quality MLC card. Apparently, consumer grade cards can be hit and miss for quality. That said, of all the consumer-level SD cards in my life and the tens or perhaps hundreds of thousands of files on them, the only failure I've encountered was in a radio.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Is the SR8 Pro already registered to the radio? If it is not, you will not be able to bind to it. If it is the same receiver that is already "bind"ed to the transmitter on RX1 (as I can see you already have a bound receiver to this slot) then it will probably not "re bind" to the same unit, it would be looking for a new receiver to bind to, and it must be registered already.

When binding, you do not push any buttons on the receiver.

After registering, the receiver must be turned off, the transmitter then set to bind, and the receiver is powered up and the transmitter should see it.

getsuyoubi

Active User
Reaction score
At the German forum of Engel MT it was suggested that I may simply have plugged in the servo connector of the battery (or the BEC) backwards. Apparently, even in this case the LEDs light up! Now I can't wait to get home after work and try that.
Can anybody here confirm that the LEDs do indeed still light up (flash red and green) when the servo connector from the power source is plugged in backwards?

getsuyoubi

Active User
Reaction score
Is the SR8 Pro already registered to the radio? If it is not, you will not be able to bind to it. If it is the same receiver that is already "bind"ed to the transmitter on RX1 (as I can see you already have a bound receiver to this slot) then it will probably not "re bind" to the same unit, it would be looking for a new receiver to bind to, and it must be registered already.

When binding, you do not push any buttons on the receiver.

After registering, the receiver must be turned off, the transmitter then set to bind, and the receiver is powered up and the transmitter should see it.
I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything correctly - with the possible exception of the servo connector. That would be quite embarrassing after all this - but good news nonetheless!

gnichola

Very Strong User
Reaction score
At the German forum of Engel MT it was suggested that I may simply have plugged in the servo connector of the battery (or the BEC) backwards. Apparently, even in this case the LEDs light up! Now I can't wait to get home after work and try that.
Can anybody here confirm that the LEDs do indeed still light up (flash red and green) when the servo connector from the power source is plugged in backwards?
Yes, I have done that before, the lights will light up and flash, but no binding. Here is a video (sorry different rx, but it should show the process).

getsuyoubi

Active User
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure now that plugging in the connector backwards is my problem. That would also explain why I didn't have any problem with any of my receivers that were actually installed in various models, because they are all hooked up correctly to their BEC. The receivers that I was unable to connect, register or bind were all just standalone.
I will report back when I confirm that tonight.

MikeB

Very Strong User
Reaction score
On my R8-PRO, the polarity for the connector is embossed on the side of the Rx. It can be confusing as some receivers do need the connector plugged in a different way up.

Mike

Hawaii Sloper

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Won't Plugging in the battery plug backwards fry servos?
I feel FRSKY does a poor job of indicating the polarity and servo #s on their RXs. They could stand out more or be more clearly noted in the included instructions.

jure

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I feel FRSKY does a poor job of indicating the polarity and servo #s on their RXs. They could stand out more or be more clearly noted in the included instructions.
nothing should happen in that case.
when reversing the connection, this happens:
Rx Ground => Servo signal input
Rx + V =>Servo + V ( the center pin stays in the center )
Rx signal =>Servo Ground

Red

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Center pin is positive so it's not actually reverse polarity. Back in the bad old days Airtronics was notorious for having an end pin positive. Yeah lots of smoke was let out on those lol

gnichola

Very Strong User
Reaction score
They are poorly marked. On the rx in my video, even with my glasses on it's hard to tell.
I had one that had the case removed and I spent a few minutes trying to register it before I figured it out.
The main thing, is that there was no problem, and you are now up, running, and wiser :) Cheers!

doug35

Strong User
Reaction score
While it doesn't help on RX's with the open pins, I like to change out the servo connectors to the Futaba J style with the tab on it. The signal wire is closest to the tab end. They are also slightly thinner so they fit better and can only go in one way.
1709092974864.png