What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FRSKY RXs - How the heck do I choose?

Hawaii Sloper

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I just wanted to find some info that can help me make the process of buying Rxs a bit less complicated.
First of all, I use the X20, X-lite, X9D. I understand what I need for my quads but purchasing for planes and gliders has gotten annoying with the ever increasing options from FRSKY, and it seems like it is going to get more so with the new TWIN hardware coming out. I tend to have a hard time making a choice when I have too many options or variables, and at times even lose interest in a project when this happens.
And I do understand the protocols and what radios can work with which Rx (after reviewing what Rx will play nice with what Tx every time).
MY difficulty often is with why I would choose say a ACCST over ACCESS, what does Archer have to do with ACCESS, etc....
Does anyone know of a nice writeup of the functions and features of the different RXs that would make it easier to choose for different applications? Perhaps with a nice infographic checklist like FRSKY does with their Radio comparisons?
Thanks in advance, Kelly

Last edited:

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
The most important bit is probably what protocol you plan to use. Think of the protocol as the language the receiver understands (ie. German, French, etc). For FrSky protocols you have:
  • ACCST that is supported by every transmitter FrSky has ever made. (16 channels, S-port, some bugs in old version, best to use Uni-RX on receiver firmware.)
  • ACCESS that is in most every FrSky transmitter released since 2019. (24 channels, S-port & F-port, Over the Air updates for receivers, better redundancy, etc)
  • Tandem is in the transmitters that have TANDEM printed on them. They are the X20, X18, and some future radios (ACCESS but on 2.4GHz and 900MGz at the same time)
  • TWIN is frSky newest option and we will not see this for a little while yet, but think the name TWIN will be in big letters on those transmitters somewhere. (ACCESS but with LORa based 2.4GHZ and ACCESS 2.4GHz at the same time, smaller and cheaper receivers than Tandem.)
Once you know what protocol, it is pretty much picking from a few options:
  • For the most part all FrSky receivers offer the same basic features limited by their protocol, just with different number of channel outputs.
  • Glider versions that are packaged to fit very skinny fuselages and include a vario.
  • You also have the stabilized receivers that use gyros to assist your flight.
  • And then when you get into the high channel counts you see some power distribution features that become very important as the amp loads are increased.

For me I tend to buy Archers these days as they tend to be a bit smaller and all of my radios I now use support ACCESS. I simply pick the one with the correct number of channels for the aircraft I'm outfitting. If I have extra space, I will usually go with the 6 channel instead of just a 4 channel as it will give me more options in the future should I move it to another airframe. It is rare that I need more than 6 channels with my slope gliders.

If I'm building something epic and huge, then I'm going to look closely at the larger Tandem offerings.

If I was having any concerns with range at my field I'd look to either the Tandem or the Twin options. (If people are starting to have issues with normal 2.4GHz systems at theor field, you should hear about it, and you should start considering these modern dual RF systems to ensure rock solid radio connection. We are starting to see these issues and more fields, even very remote ones. RF noise does seem to be climbing and causing more concern.

If you are building a HUGE or FAST or stupid EXPENSIVE aircraft you need to be on Tandem or Twin and pay CLOSE attention to your power distribution. Using a single 2.4 RF system at this level is not wise.

With this as a guide I hope it will be a little easier to pick.

If you have any questions, please ask here, happy to help!

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
That is why I suggest Uni-RX for ACCST. Problem solved.

We now have Uni in beta for the RX4R, RX6R and the glider receivers. :) We also have an option where you no longer need to mail in your receiver to upgrade to UNI. :)

Hawaii Sloper

Very Strong User
Reaction score
The most important bit is probably what protocol you plan to use. Think of the protocol as the language the receiver understands (ie. German, French, etc). For FrSky protocols you have:
  • ACCST that is supported by every transmitter FrSky has ever made. (16 channels, S-port, some bugs in old version, best to use Uni-RX on receiver firmware.)
  • ACCESS that is in most every FrSky transmitter released since 2019. (24 channels, S-port & F-port, Over the Air updates for receivers, better redundancy, etc)
  • Tandem is in the transmitters that have TANDEM printed on them. They are the X20, X18, and some future radios (ACCESS but on 2.4GHz and 900MGz at the same time)
  • TWIN is frSky newest option and we will not see this for a little while yet, but think the name TWIN will be in big letters on those transmitters somewhere. (ACCESS but with LORa based 2.4GHZ and ACCESS 2.4GHz at the same time, smaller and cheaper receivers than Tandem.)
  • For the most part all FrSky receivers offer the same basic features limited by their protocol, just with different number of channel outputs.
  • Glider versions that are packaged to fit very skinny fuselages and include a vario.
  • And then when you get into the high channel counts you see some power distribution features that become very important as the amp loads are increased.

For me I tend to buy Archers these days as they tend to be a bit smaller and all of my radios I now use support ACCESS. I simply pick the one with the correct number of channels for the aircraft I'm outfitting. If I have extra space, I will usually go with the 6 channel instead of just a 4 channel as it will give me more options in the future should I move it to another airframe. It is rare that I need more than 6 channels with my slope gliders.

If I'm building something epic and huge, then I'm going to look closely at the larger Tandem offerings.

If I was having any concerns with range at my field I'd look to either the Tandem or the Twin options. (If people are starting to have issues with normal 2.4GHz systems at theor field, you should hear about it, and you should start considering these modern dual RF systems to ensure rock solid radio connection. We are starting to see these issues and more fields, even very remote ones. RF noise does seem to be climbing and causing more concern.

If you are building a HUGE or FAST or stupid EXPENSIVE aircraft you need to be on Tandem or Twin and pay CLOSE attention to your power distribution. Using a single 2.4 RF system at this level is not wise.

Great write up @Wayne ! Just the information I was hoping to get. Thanks for taking the time to do that. 🤙🏽🤙🏽
Kelly

Alois

User
Reaction score
I just wanted to find some info that can help me make the process of buying Rxs a bit less complicated.
First of all, I use the X20, X-lite, X9D. I understand what I need for my quads but purchasing for planes and gliders has gotten annoying with the ever increasing options from FRSKY, and it seems like it is going to get more so with the new TWIN hardware coming out. I tend to have a hard time making a choice when I have too many options or variables, and at times even lose interest in a project when this happens.
And I do understand the protocols and what radios can work with which Rx (after reviewing what Rx will play nice with what Tx every time).
MY difficulty often is with why I would choose say a ACCST over ACCESS, what does Archer have to do with ACCESS, etc....
Does anyone know of a nice writeup of the functions and features of the different RXs that would make it easier to choose for different applications? Perhaps with a nice infographic checklist like FRSKY does with their Radio comparisons?
Thanks in advance, Kelly
do you mean something like this
(first chart is for Accst, second and third is for Access, from frsky_rc.com homepage)

That's the link for Access receivers: https://www.frsky-rc.com/frsky-archer-series-access-receivers-release/

And you get Accst if you click on "2.4GHz Accst Comparison Table" at the top of the Accst receiver list.
1664819440690.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-02 194104.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-10-02 194104.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 356
  • Screenshot 2022-10-02 194651.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-10-02 194651.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 350
  • Screenshot 2022-10-02 194722.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-10-02 194722.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 310
  • 1664819361488.png
    1664819361488.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

Hawaii Sloper

Very Strong User
Reaction score

Bigdog3720

New User
Reaction score

This is an awesome post and exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

rajazo

New User
Reaction score
Great into here ... Anyway I can't find any info about range for TW and TD series of recievers.
If anybody con post this info, I really appreciate

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Range is beyond range of your vision for both the TW and TD. Heck, even D8, ACCESS and ACCST should be beyond your vision in normal flying conditions.