What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soaring USA gift certificate (Strega purchase?)

Hill Hobbit

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Ta! I made the same comments on the ‘other’ forum about setting up the Typhoon, you might remember.
Jonty aka Ole slope
sloping the Malverns since summer ‘67

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Ta! I made the same comments on the ‘other’ forum about setting up the Typhoon, you might remember. Jonty aka Ole slope sloping the Malverns since summer ‘67

We must have met, Jonty, I remember racing at Malvern a few times.

My home slope was Ivinghoe, but like all of us I was here and there from time to time, especially for ze pylon.

Doc.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
It's no secret I don't like the quality of the RCRCM Straga's. But I have give credit where credit is due. Today the White and Red Strega gave me my first F3F round win! This is even more remarkable in that I had just insulted her with a high speed inverted landing on the rock filled hill face! I'm so happy I spent some time reinforcing the fuselage after finding the RCRCM management's poor carbon lay up. This extra work on the assembly bench allowed me to keep on flying the race. After all flying the race is why we have these racers. I also attribute a lot of durability to the servohamon IDS servo trays. I'm sure with the classic cantilivered arm I'd have stripped most of the wing servos!

Last edited:

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I normally avoid political statement on these forums. But here I have to point out how asinine the USA war on drugs is. Good luck trying to get this kind of tooling without a medical degree! It's a TOOL! But no, I risk incarceration for being in possession of drug paraphernalia!

I know it is not the fault of RCRCM's management. But I'd like to point out the major limitation of using balsa skins in these molded wing skins. That is the impact shock loads travel down the wood grain for a long distance from the impact site. It this has been a foam core skin the damage would have been a minor tear that could have been repaired with some "SuperFil" from Consolidated Aircraft Coatings.

This is the extent of the damage from my high speed inverted landing. Other than a delaminated aileron.

War on drugs.jpg

Light LE impact.jpg

Top skin buckle.jpg

Last edited:

RalfH

User
Reaction score
Hi Konrad,
re: "good luck getting this tooling", you may be able to use dispenser tips used for solder paste, Digikey has them

Ralf

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Yes I know about the Luer lock needle. What I see at McMaster are short blunt needles.

What I was trying to show was the use of a what I think are called Catheter needles. That is those that have a removable core.
I use a 24 gage 3.25" long needle with a cutting tip. This is great for making acute angle insertions into the surface. The core helps keep the needle from kinking and keeps the needle from plugging up.

Catheter needle 1.jpg

Catheter Needle 2.jpg

gp49

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I have done something similar with two different sized, stainless steel Luer lock needles. Depending on OD/ID size you need, McMaster has them in 2", 4" and 6 inches long. Very easy to sharpen on a honing stone. I'm sure other lab supply stores have even more selection. McMaster is just convenient for me since I get shipments from them weekly.

Attachments

• p000411-medium.jpg
    p000411-medium.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 65

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I just spent the better part of the day chasing paint failures. Here I got my old paint repair to lift. I was using PPG Delfleet Essential over Delfleet Essential. It looks like the lift happened betewwen the old Delfleet Essential top coat and Shop Line primer sealer. I was told these are compatable product but I now see that Delfleet Essential has its own primers.

PPG Delfleet lifting.jpg

Hank GB Z

Very Strong User
Reaction score
That sucks. Maybe its a sign to sell these Stregas an move on? Seems everybody at the F3F races tells you the same thing.

Just a thought,

Hank

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
But that’s just it, I’m the bottom of the resale market! If I don’t want it, it is junk and destined for the land fill. 😜

Last edited:

Nigel

Reaction score
I think this is the part where I sit back and then act surprised when there's a very good deal on an old F3F ship.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
As F3F ships these are lacking. But as sport ships they are both much better than how they came from the RCRCM factory.

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Not sure, but I bet Chris at Aloft might like it as a next step. Problem is I'm not sure which step he's at now. He might be at a more advanced stage.

Doc.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Chris is way beyond the likes of the Stregas' as far as technical skills*. Like I said "enemies". Giving these away to friends would cost me their friendship. That's too high a cost!

*Just because he flew a Destiny at an ISR race shouldn't be held against him for eternity!

Last edited:

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Chris is way beyond the likes of the Stregas' as far as technical skills*. Like I said "enemies". Giving these away to friends would cost me their friendship. That's too high a cost!

*Just because he flew a Destiny at an ISR race shouldn't be held against him for eternity!
Gotcha - so long since I was in the USA. Missing you guys!

Now who don't we like...? Maybe I know someone...

Hehehe

Cheers,

Doc.

Hank GB Z

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Take it to Sunset and put a for sale sign on it. Might fetch enough to cover gas...

Hank