What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camp n Fly 2024 May 4-5th!

gp49

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Just posted some slope/glider kits for sale if someone needs to build for 2025 Camp m Fly :)

jure

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Getting ready for the Sunset event, modified my Jurin Sokol glider , now in RES configuration.
The mod was done as in the Radian, following deadstik's conceptual design. One spoiler surface, placed in the center panel.
This modified HH had its official debut in society during last year's Sunset event, in the standard RE configuration , with the extended 2.5m Parkzone Radian wings.

Last edited:

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Just a reminder to order up your shirts and jackets for the event. Please reach out to any flying buddies that may not be very active on the internet and please see if they are wanting any shirts, etc. We will close the pre-buy in about 10 days as the printer needs time to do her magic.

Thanks all!

Warley

New User
Reaction score
"Hi everyone, what's up? I'm looking for a parking space and campsite at Sunset, but there are no more spaces available on the website. Does anyone have an available space? I can pay for this. Thanks."

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Is this our Warley?

We have space for your tent, but not your car. We can park your car down the road a little bit on Friday or before, but you will not have access to it again until Sunday.

Warley

New User
Reaction score
Hi, Wayne. Yes, it's me. Well, that's good. If I can't find a spot for my car, I'll just accept the tent space. Thank you very much.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Ok - We will be closing the orders for shirts and sweats for the event on Monday.

I just added kids medium sized shirts in case anyone needed that.

We are at a count of 37 units, plus we still need to add the Aloft staff to the order, so we are good for our required 50 count. I will order a few extra Large and X-Large shirts as we always have a few people asking about buying one at the event, but do not count on these being available. If you want a shirt or jacket, order them now to guarantee you get one. Thanks!

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Anyone up for some FreeFlight racing at Sunset?

My new project - I figure we can all do a quick RC conversion and do a little pylon racing at Sunset?
freeflights - 1.jpeg

I have a number of these little foamy free flights, 2 different styles. Anyone interested? Can drop it in the mail and should take a night to add some gear to it.

-Wayne

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Remembered my bad maiden last year of my DIY Jart. IE the walk down to the road at the bottom of the hill 😂

After giving it a few months i looked at it and realized i had used the totally wrong cg. I cant remember now what i did, but im assuming i used the 22% cg im used to using on flying wings.
So after checking all the dimensions and using a full tail wing CG calc recommended by @Red i realized i had cg off by almost 10mm. That doesnt sound like much but on this 180mm Root that is 18%. So i had cg 18% forward of where it needed to be. This explains why i couldnt even pull up and it just went down the hill.

Funny, since im so used to doing flying wings i not only did wrong cg i also bottom hinged the elevons. The rcgroups jart guys gave me a bunch of crap about it lol.

PXL_20240410_145522704.jpg

Reaction score
20240412_093221.jpg

Just finished up Wayne's chuck glider for Sunset. I'll try it out at Tick today and see if it flies!

EDIT: I've not had success flying this guy - it always rolled to one side and crashed.
I'm going to convert to Ailerons and try again!

Attachments

• 20240412_093201.jpg
    20240412_093201.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Oh nice idea. I was thinking it was going to have to have ailerons. Thats much simpler. Cant wait to see how it flies. Mind sharing the servos/battery you ended up liking?
edit: i see the servos now, looks like 9g?
Hard to tell scale of that thing from the pics. Maybe i missed the wingspan above? @Wayne

Reaction score
Oh nice idea. I was thinking it was going to have to have ailerons. Thats much simpler. Cant wait to see how it flies. Mind sharing the servos/battery you ended up liking?
edit: i see the servos now, looks like 9g?
Hard to tell scale of that thing from the pics. Maybe i missed the wingspan above? @Wayne

It's tiny - 19 1/2 inch wingspan.
used cheap 9g servos. I scrounged a 4.8v AAA pack - might be a bit heavy but I'll give it a try first.
I picked rudder elevator since ailerons or twist wing controls didn't seem very easy to do considering
how thin the wing is.

Doc J

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Remembered my bad maiden last year of my DIY Jart. IE the walk down to the road at the bottom of the hill 😂

After giving it a few months i looked at it and realized i had used the totally wrong cg. I cant remember now what i did, but im assuming i used the 22% cg im used to using on flying wings.
So after checking all the dimensions and using a full tail wing CG calc recommended by @Red i realized i had cg off by almost 10mm. That doesnt sound like much but on this 180mm Root that is 18%. So i had cg 18% forward of where it needed to be. This explains why i couldnt even pull up and it just went down the hill.

Funny, since im so used to doing flying wings i not only did wrong cg i also bottom hinged the elevons. The rcgroups jart guys gave me a bunch of crap about it lol.

View attachment 19502
Jart Elevons? Ailerons? Its funny - when I designed the 72" Jart - moulded version that was sold by RCRCM, Reed Sherman insisted that the flaps be bottom hinged and the ailerons from the top (Or vice-versa, I cant remember).

When I asked why, he relied: "Oh because I've always done it like that" Its pretty awkward to do I can tell you, but as I remember RCRCM still did it.

The Jart is a cool looking plane, maybe like a streched F5 or similar? And it has quite a following. But when I flew it, apart from the cool looks I was really unimpressed. It wasn't that fast, it wasn't that aerobatic; it rolled fairly fast but not axially without some help. Loops were too large. It would stall pretty easily in the classic lose one wing and flick style, and so it wasnt that easy to land even wih the flaps.

To be honest, after all the hype I felt a bit cheated.

Maybe the one I flew was too old? Too heavy? Dont know.

With this kind of model I think needs a larger wing area, more control authority and lower ( But ballastable) wing loading. As it is it might need a really good blow to do any good.

Only my thoughts,

Cheers,

Doc.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Posted my jetliner build here:

Red

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I'm rehabbing this 100" Ridge Runner, this one is a bit special to me.

A Boeing Engineer named Dave Katagiri designed the original 72" version. https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6678 This one was blown up and built by Gary Hover for my friend Len Ledson. It was intended to slope race at the RCM Trophy Races which we now have come to know as the ISR in more recent years at Davenport, Ca. For whatever reason it wasn't flown much.

Len was a good friend of mine growing up. He is the guy who trusted me with several high performance glow models eventually culminating with me racing Formula 1 at the 1984 Nats in Reno, Nv, at 13 years old. We had many great adventures after that into the dawn of turbine jets before cancer took him too soon. For those of you old enough to remember he was half of the company Jim-n-IJjets, they had a precision scale all molded F-15 turbine model, T-38 others. They were quite the thing if you were lucky enough to get your hands on one. I purchased this from Len in the 90's. It sat around and I never did anything with it. It disappeared from where it was stored (long story) and to my surprise popped up on RCG for sale in the same condition as I last saw it. As luck would have it with the help of a couple of friends and @poh to mule it to me, I purchased it back.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?4245483-Can-Anyone-Identify-This-Ship&highlight=Ridge Runner

The model was built in March of 1975 and still retained its original Kraft radio gear. I'm keeping it as original as possible. I'm doing a servo swap only in the wings, even though the torque rod assembly is quite flexy, I'll live with it. The elevator on the other hand needs to change. It uses an all internal Nyrod (the yellow plastic stuff) and has more slop than I can stomach, so that has to go. I have a nice stiff 4mm carbon rod that I will run to an external control horn. I cut some of the Nyrod out, but most of it has to live in place. I need to laser cut a couple of servo trays, but it should all me done tomorrow.

Red
IMG_8662.jpeg
IMG_8663.jpeg
IMG_8664.jpeg
IMG_8665.jpeg
IMG_8666.jpeg

Hawaii Sloper

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Glad you were able to reclaim this plane. I have voluntarily gotten rid of at least 3 guitars that I wish I could take back, so I can understand how you feel about this plane..... like every modeler ever! lol