What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camp n Fly 2024 May 4-5th!

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Ok - Here is a link for ordering your event apparel.

We are doing it a little differently this year. Making things easier for Jeremy, and giving you all a few new choices. Delivery will be to the event at the main camp, see us in site #36.

Any questions? Let me know.

Please share this info with other sites and make sure your no internet buddies that may be attending are aware.

Thanks!

p.s. Nate we might want to update the spreadsheet?
Sure i will update it.

AKNick

Strong User
Reaction score
Parking Inquiry.
My buddy Phil and I will probably be commuting together from a hotel. Does anyone have a spare parking slot for a couple Alaskans at the site? Or other recommendations?
TIA!

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Nick,

Parking is always a hot mess at this event. I had wanted to grab the group site this year to combat this issue, but it was already taken. :(

Worse comes to worse, we can park off site and will have a truck available to haul gear back and forth from the remote parking. I'll talk with a friend that owns a business next to the campground, he has made it available to parking in the past. This is not a walkable distance, but will work for vehicles not being camped in. We might need some folks to park their cars there that are not be camped in so we can make space for people that need a spot for their campers..?

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Let's discuss possible special flying rules at Sunset.

This has come up the last few years and has always been shot down mostly because we are all slope pilots and don't like to be told what we can and can not fly. Perhaps some of the magic of Sunset is this freedom.

I discussed this with the guys here at the shop and got interesting feedback. I was a bit surprised as a couple of my most combat crazy pilots were for restricted flying at certain periods to allow others to fly. And the guy that I thought would be for restrictions was against adding any sort of special flying time as he did not want to divide the community or try to add rules.

We could have periods of restricted flying and other periods of chaos flying, what might that look like?

Chaos is basically what we have now, fly what you want how you want.
Restricted is a little harder to define, some possible points might be:
  • Limit the number of planes flying at any given time.
  • Limit the types of planes being flown (vintage, rare, fast, pylon, whatever (this gets messy))
  • Pilots should stand in a designated area so they can discuss their flight path with other pilots easily. (ie. fast low pass from the right) Or this could be used for flying in formation, etc.
  • Require spotters like they do for giant scale events?
The next question is if you are going define restrictions, when will they occur?
  • Have an early and a late restricted flight time each day. "Chaos" at all other times.
  • Have restricted flight times all day, except for some "chaos" periods here and there.
What are your thoughts? What would you like to see, this is YOUR event.

jure

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I think that the atmospheric and wind conditions define the class of flying at most times.
This in effect forces a quasi automatic selection of what aircraft will fly at any given time. "Darwin in action"

OTOH, when the conditions are such that many styles may be flown at a given time, it could be that a chance should be given to have a specific time slot for these styles.

Also, I remember how it was that the Ahis had their "Ahi corner" to do whatever was desired,
and the rest of the pilots simply avoided the area.

TRISME

User
Reaction score
Trying to enforce restrictions is tough, maybe with a bullhorn and a bullwhip? Any one that has ever been a contest director, knows what I’m saying. If guys are flying fast glass planes, it’s probably not the best time to throw out your pristine Hobie Hawk. If there is a combat furball happening, don’t throw out something you’re really attached to. Ask people if their plane is for combat, before pummeling it. Be considerate and don’t hog the slope, regardless of how cool you think you or your plane is. :) 20-30 minutes is a good session. Have fun and enjoy our hobby. :)
Tom

Last edited:

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
GOT PARKING?

Sounds like we will be able to park cars at Gabe's business next to the campground. This is further than you will want to walk, so we will set up a shuttle service as needed. There is one catch, you will not have access to this parking lot on Saturday. On the good side, your vehicle is very safe as it is inside a rather large and secure property, the site is shown on google as "Monterey Bay Academy Airport".

If you have a vehicle just taking up space at your campsite, it would be great to park it at this new lot so we can offer our day visitors or additional campers somewhere to stay. I'm sure people would be happy to help pay for this. I'll be doing this with to allow others to park at our campsite.

AKNick

Strong User
Reaction score
Thanks for the parking responses!

As for the rules… that’s a toss. I’d like to think people are considerate and respectful to the flier and their model. Thus utilizing a courteous mentality of being mindful of what’s in the air, who you’re flying with, who’s waiting to fly, and how long you’ve been flying.

Segregating the day into sections I think would be wrong due to inconsistencies in weather. But making a target slot event would be fine with a sign (Eg: combat/pylon @4pm!)

There is nothing wrong with a spotter, I’d like to think if it’s bonkers in the air the people spectating can be volunteer spotters. Once again, just being mindful.

Over all the KISS method should always take precedence IMO.

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I think that restricted at special times is the only thing "enforceable" unless someone is just going to have that job all day.
Everytime we have told everyone somethig special is happening, like jeremy taking a big plane out, that has always worked. Maybe having a schedule would work too, i dont want that job :)

@AKNick if you get there early you can grab front parking before others do.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Think we should limit combat to 48" wing spans and/or a maximum weight. No hard leading edges, no scary stuff. Basically some common sense to avoid a truly bad outcome should one hit a human. I'm not sure many liked flying with "Sticker Bomb" on the hunt last year, I was very concerned that plane was going to fly into the crowd of pilots at some point. (sorry Nate)

JStrametz

Active User
Reaction score
Nick,

Parking is always a hot mess at this event. I had wanted to grab the group site this year to combat this issue, but it was already taken. :(

Worse comes to worse, we can park off site and will have a truck available to haul gear back and forth from the remote parking. I'll talk with a friend that owns a business next to the campground, he has made it available to parking in the past. This is not a walkable distance, but will work for vehicles not being camped in. We might need some folks to park their cars there that are not be camped in so we can make space for people that need a spot for their campers..?
HI Wayne, (Nick,)
I am solo in camp 20 so there will be room for one more vehicle. I am willing to share my parking. Let me know if this works.....

AKNick

Strong User
Reaction score
HI Wayne, (Nick,)
I am solo in camp 20 so there will be room for one more vehicle. I am willing to share my parking. Let me know if this works.....
Phil and I would be overjoyed to take you up on that, especially when non-camper parking is tight! Thanks! we'll play it by ear and formulate a plan as the event date gets closer.

Red

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I for one would be in favor of some time slots. I love combat, but I also have other stuff that I would like to fly without a fur ball. No matter how careful and courteous all pilots are, having 30+ planes on the face makes for much higher chances of a less than stellar outcome for someone trying to avoid contact.

I'm not sure exactly how to manage this, but some sort of "like airplane" time slots seem to make sense.

JLink125

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I like the idea of time slots as well. However, I'd say requiring spotters is probably not ideal. By all means if you want one ask somebody I just don't think it should be required. As for standing in one location that probably would help a bit but then again it's already a small location so I suppose pilots could use they're outdoor voice and call passes lol. I'm sure we can hear them :LOL:

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
First off - Thanks you @JStrametz , that is great!!

I will say that I have been on the fence on the time slots and such. In general I don't like to have too many flying rules in place at my fields. One of the reasons I prefer slope flying over power flying. But I do think the fur ball activities while great fun should be reined in a bit. I noticed last year that we had a number of pilots that never fly in the fur balls. Just was not their thing.

Last year I didn't fly any composite models. I did fly non-foam models that I did not want damaged, and I simply modified my flight patterns to avoid the fur ball zone as much as possible, but I did still need to share that space at launch and occasionally cross it during my flights, and I did so very carefully. It would be more enjoyable if there was a break in the fur ball from time to time.

It sounds like people are supportive of this goal, we just need to work out how to do it in as smooth a method as possible. Any ideas?

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
One thought - What if we moved the fur ball location off to one side or the other?