What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stormbird 2m

jvaliensi

Active User
Reaction score
I just finished working on a F5J model. Now the wing of the Stormbird seems to weigh more than the whole F5J model. The Stormbird wing is so stiff, this will be a pleasure to work on. The F5J was so light it feels like I am crushing it when I pick it up. If I sneeze on the stabs, I'm sure they will fold!

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
That is why I like the IDS. They offer the possibility of using much smaller servo arms. I'm sad to see the original IDS replaced with the mono IDS.

Last edited:

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Good to know. Hyperflight UK seems to think the aluminum tube IDS is gone.

All the best,
Konrad

purview

Very Strong User
Reaction score
wing of the Stormbird seems to weigh more than the whole F5J model. The Stormbird wing is so stiff, this will be a pleasure to work on
no, no, yes sir
the wing is a hardshell with sine wave spar technology

jvaliensi

Active User
Reaction score
The Stormbird wing is super stiff and extremely nicely made. I just finished a Satori which is the highest quality too, but it is so light and thin that the carbon weave shows thru.
IDS - I have a set and cannot imagine me successfully installing them.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
If I as an old man with shaky hands can install them, I’m sure you can. This is assuming you have a Dremel and some sharp jewelers files. That reminds me it is time to replace my files. Files don’t last a life time. They get dull and need to be replaced. Doc has a nice thread on installation of the IDS.

jvaliensi

Active User
Reaction score

My Stormbird is completed! I have KST X08+ for the elevator and ailerons. KST X10 Mini for flaps and MKS HV6100 for rudder. I'll admit servo choices were made on what fit the easiest.
Empty weight is 1,900g. I over built it. I am able to add enough ballast to get it up to 2,800g. Which is a wing loading of 86g/dm2.
What is the limit?
(I have too many tool boxes and whats worse is they are all full)

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
The limit is whatever you are comfortable with. I think 75g/dm2 is the FAI limit. So I'd be a little conservitive with the elevator and NOT pull the highest G's one could manage.

Never can have too many tools!

All the best,
Konrad

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Looks good James - How dare you have such a lovely (full of tools) workshop??

Wayne's is probably even larger - but needs a 10 minute tidy up last time I saw it.

Nice bike maintenance stand - are you a bikeist?

Love it, and good luck with the maiden.

Cheers,

Doc.

jvaliensi

Active User
Reaction score
Its a bit off topic -
I used to make custom steel bicycles. I still ride and work on bikes. A few of my friends are pestering me to make them one. But the airplanes have taken over! I bought the stand for sailplanes with the justification I could use it for bikes too. I have heavy duty bike stands too.
The corner of my 1940 Southbend lathe can be seen. I just rebuilt it (took two years because it gets too hot in SoCal).
I have gathering tools for as long as I can remember, sometimes I pick up a tool and realize I've had it for 40+ years.
I just used the lathe to make my brass ballast for the Strombird.

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Its a bit off topic -
I used to make custom steel bicycles. I still ride and work on bikes. A few of my friends are pestering me to make them one. But the airplanes have taken over! I bought the stand for sailplanes with the justification I could use it for bikes too. I have heavy duty bike stands too.
The corner of my 1940 Southbend lathe can be seen. I just rebuilt it (took two years because it gets too hot in SoCal).
I have gathering tools for as long as I can remember, sometimes I pick up a tool and realize I've had it for 40+ years.
I just used the lathe to make my brass ballast for the Strombird.

I still design bike parts (frames/wheels) and ride bikes every day 20 to 50 KM.

Love it!

Doc.

jvaliensi

Active User
Reaction score
Sweet bike. I never had a carbon fiber frame. The way things are today it is the only choice left.
BTW - you UK expat's also look so happy when you move to a place with sunshine!

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Sweet bike. I never had a carbon fiber frame. The way things are today it is the only choice left.
BTW - you UK expat's also look so happy when you move to a place with sunshine!

You know what, James, there is something really satisfying about riding on a frame and hoops that you designed, and feeling them work really well.

Its a feeling unlike model aircraft, but that also gives a nice feeling - especially when you see others having fun with your ideas.

Sunshine? James, you got me. GULITY AS CHARGED.

Thats one of the reasons why we love coming to Ca so much - it the place of the blue yonder!.

Cheers,

Doc.

Doc J

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Adam Fisher storming it up in Australia today. This is a nice video that gives a good idea of the Strombird's capability as an allrounder.

Just imagine what the Forza 100" version is going to b like....

Doc.

Last edited:

jvaliensi

Active User
Reaction score
I tried a maiden flight of my Stormbird 2M. It did not go well. There was not enough lift for mine. I flew out the ridge and tried a turn in the wind and it tip stalled. I save it and ended up going back of the slope and tried another turn to come back up the hill. It stalled again and went straight in. Fortunately the slope is covered with 8ft tall Yellow Mustard plants. When I found it, it appears undamaged.
Mine weighs about 2kg empty. I needed more wind. I need a trip to the Faroe islands!

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I'm not second guessing you, but I find it difficult to tip stall this wing planform. I have stalled the wing but that is different from tip stalling. Did the out board wing (down aileron) stall, or did the inboard wing stall? Where you able to add camber?

And flying slow were you using mainly rudder for directional control. I don't recall flying any of these new wings with this technique as I've only flown these in good lift.

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:

Doc J

Very Strong User
Reaction score
James - how much wind was there?

Generally it's not the best idea to try to maiden any model in less than ideal conditions, because you are not giving the plane - or yourself - the best chance of success. In marginal conditions it's a lot better to forget the maiden and get home with an intact model so that you can try again another day.

The stormbird is no Gentle Lady - it was never designed to stooge around in low wind conditions, and anyway it's really not much fun to do that with this type of model. The new SB Forza might be a bit better for low winds as the wing loading is a lot lighter - but its still designed for going flat out whenever possible. Flying this kind of model in low wind conditions is a bit like driving a Ferrari around the Vatican - Not recommended.

If you can wait until its blowing a gale, then you'll come back with a big grin - rather than a big groan.:cool:

Cheers,

Doc.