What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Silhouette vinyl cutters

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Sean here at the office has one. He likes it. Feel free to ask and I'll see about getting answers for you.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I asked and he is not sure what model he has. LOL Looking at their site, he is pretty sure he has an older version of the Cameo. Basically the same, but it cost less.

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Thanks. I have been looking at the portrait 2 which you can get shipped for like $129 from bhphoto. It takes 8" wide rolls of vinyl.

vulturetec

New User
Reaction score
Anybody using any of the hobby vinyl cutters for decals? If so which one and how has it worked out?

I got tired of hand-cutting Monokote and tried a Silhouette Cameo 3. I can't remember the reasons I didn't get a Portrait...anyway, it does a surprisingly good job cutting just about everything I've tried. It does a surprisingly good job with intricate cuts in Vinyl and produces a professional looking cut. Covering materials are tricky but doable.

Monokote:
i-sFphqgM-L.jpg

i-W2dmN4C-L.jpg

i-QfCHwzn-L.jpg

Vinyl:
i-XK829P6-L.jpg

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
i cyber stalked you over to rcgroups. Again, this is a nice looking plane:
DSC800_180121_9918-Edit-X3.jpg

now back to your shapeoko post.....

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I got tired of hand-cutting Monokote and tried a Silhouette Cameo 3. I can't remember the reasons I didn't get a Portrait...anyway, it does a surprisingly good job cutting just about everything I've tried. It does a surprisingly good job with intricate cuts in Vinyl and produces a professional looking cut. Covering materials are tricky but doable.

Monokote:
i-sFphqgM-L.jpg

i-W2dmN4C-L.jpg

i-QfCHwzn-L.jpg

Vinyl:
i-XK829P6-L.jpg
Wow, looks fantastic!
What program(s) do you use? Does it offer that exponential fade we see in the star motif?

vulturetec

New User
Reaction score
Wow, looks fantastic!
What program(s) do you use? Does it offer that exponential fade we see in the star motif?

Thanks :) I use Coreldraw, and... yes, it's supposed to be a halftone pattern type fade using stars instead of dots. I'd been playing around with the idea for years and finally did it.

FYI, the base color is Ultracote transparent red and true-red, the trim is Monokote Cub Yellow, Metallic Charcoal, and chrome.

Build pictures are on my site here: https://pix.aerog.com/Images/Photo-Album/models/Sagitta-900

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
If you have a local sign shop, you might want to ask them if they have any scrap materials for your RC planes. They will probably show you the bucket full of nearly empty rolls of vinyl. It is too small for them, but will be great for your needs!