What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoring FrOs to an X10/S after an OpenTx installation !!!WITHOUT the Saved backup files!!!

Chris

Reaction score
Hi all,
I think I found the correct process for returning to FrOs without backups. I am going to try to sum it up easily. The files that are needed are in a zip folder at the bottom of this post.
First copy the four folders in the flash drive folder to a clean SD Card. The four folders should be the only thing on the SD Card.
l0pnufb2jZ3MVIsnPLS-mMVrAW6RK2uP4HgcZ1Hm124NbwnOCFA12dp87MM1K1bwHtDf7LX64i6wTUuwGhC-e4mvKT2ILRdmVvlpHD5B98Vt-M3ebX_XvejH9px50CFcdJFKo-uy
Put the SD Card in the radio.
Start Companion and plug in the Powered OFF radio to your computer.
Be sure the have the correct radio selected in the radio type of the setup menu.
Select the supplied BIN file and have Companion burn it to the radio.
Eject the bootloader and unplug the radio.
The radio should start normally in FrOs
Update Fros to the latest version.

Attachments

• FrOs Revert folder.zip
    723 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks Chris!!

For those that may not know, it has been very difficult to bring a Horus back to FrOS after switching to OpenTX if the files had been lost. So far this method seems to be working well. It may not if you had a really different version of FrOS then these files. Time will tell.

daveee

New User
Reaction score
This is great... can I use these same files on an X12S ??
If not, where can I get them please?

daveee

New User
Reaction score
Chris, could you elaborate on "Select the supplied BIN file and have Companion burn it to the radio."
Where do you get the "BIN" file? What supplied BIN file?
R9 compatable? Flex?
Thanks !

rcboutique

New User
Reaction score
Hi all,
I think I found the correct process for returning to FrOs without backups. I am going to try to sum it up easily. The files that are needed are in a zip folder at the bottom of this post.
First copy the four folders in the flash drive folder to a clean SD Card. The four folders should be the only thing on the SD Card.
l0pnufb2jZ3MVIsnPLS-mMVrAW6RK2uP4HgcZ1Hm124NbwnOCFA12dp87MM1K1bwHtDf7LX64i6wTUuwGhC-e4mvKT2ILRdmVvlpHD5B98Vt-M3ebX_XvejH9px50CFcdJFKo-uy
Put the SD Card in the radio.
Start Companion and plug in the Powered OFF radio to your computer.
Be sure the have the correct radio selected in the radio type of the setup menu.
Select the supplied BIN file and have Companion burn it to the radio.
Eject the bootloader and unplug the radio.
The radio should start normally in FrOs
Update Fros to the latest version.
I went through your procedure im sure it will work as soon as i figure out how to make the win10 pc recognize the drive. (F in your example ) companion cant write the firmware as it dosent know if the radio is there or not. When i look at device manager it sees an STM32 bootloader. But no USB device. !!!
Any Ideas Im at a loss at this point.. Thanks Keith

HENNY

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I went through your procedure im sure it will work as soon as i figure out how to make the win10 pc recognize the drive. (F in your example ) companion cant write the firmware as it dosent know if the radio is there or not. When i look at device manager it sees an STM32 bootloader. But no USB device. !!!
Any Ideas Im at a loss at this point.. Thanks Keith
Download and run Zadig. This enables your PC to emulate the Uart protocols down a USB computer input. Select the latest version of Zadig

rcboutique

New User
Reaction score
Download and run Zadig. This enables your PC to emulate the Uart protocols down a USB computer input. Select the latest version of Zadig
I use the same PC to program opentx . no problem. I did run the new version of Zdiag anyway and said replace . The only option after stm32bootloader was winusb to winusb. I selected replace. I installed correctly. I still see a device in device mgr but no USB drive. ( with power off on the radio. ) If i turn radio on I see 2 drives as normal with opentx. I think there is a problem with the current version of Zdiag,
Any Ideas ( thanks for your help )

HENNY

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I use the same PC to program opentx . no problem. I did run the new version of Zdiag anyway and said replace . The only option after stm32bootloader was winusb to winusb. I selected replace. I installed correctly. I still see a device in device mgr but no USB drive. ( with power off on the radio. ) If i turn radio on I see 2 drives as normal with opentx. I think there is a problem with the current version of Zdiag,
Any Ideas ( thanks for your help )
Zadig works for everyone except you? The problem is somewhere in your computer setup.

rcboutique

New User
Reaction score
Zadig works for everyone except you? The problem is somewhere in your computer setup.
I agree. It has always worked for me too. for years. Both of my win10 machines will not register the radio with power off. ( bummer ) I assume win has done something at this point. Is there any other way to flash the FROS.

HENNY

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I agree. It has always worked for me too. for years. Both of my win10 machines will not register the radio with power off. ( bummer ) I assume win has done something at this point. Is there any other way to flash the FROS.
You wont see the two drives with power off on the X10. Power needs to be on before pluging the USB cable in to the radio. The SD card will then be visible.

rcboutique

New User
Reaction score
You wont see the two drives with power off on the X10. Power needs to be on before pluging the USB cable in to the radio. The SD card will then be visible.
Thanks again. I realize all that . Im not wording my problem correctly SORRY. I cant see the usb link with power off. So I can flash the FROS firmware. Device Mgr says its there but I openTX wont talk to It. I have to be doing something wrong! It seems to have something to do with STM bootloader and new win 10. Just a guess

HENNY

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Thanks again. I realize all that . Im not wording my problem correctly SORRY. I cant see the usb link with power off. So I can flash the FROS firmware. Device Mgr says its there but I openTX wont talk to It. I have to be doing something wrong! It seems to have something to do with STM bootloader and new win 10. Just a guess
Yes, That's correct. All that is running with radio turned off is the boot loader powered up from the USB cable. So you can't download model etc. You will be able to flash firmware but that all you can do with the power off. It's always been that way. I have the Express radio and when I plug the USB cable in with the radio powered off is the charge led comes on, I can't access anything on the radio files or the SD card files. So sounds like you don't have an issue. I am also running Window-10.

rcboutique

New User
Reaction score
Yes, That's correct. All that is running with radio turned off is the boot loader powered up from the USB cable. So you can't download model etc. You will be able to flash firmware but that all you can do with the power off. It's always been that way. I have the Express radio and when I plug the USB cable in with the radio powered off is the charge led comes on, I can't access anything on the radio files or the SD card files. So sounds like you don't have an issue. I am also running Window-10.
I should be able to flash from companion but it wont write to the radio. Any ideas ! thanks again

rcboutique

New User
Reaction score
Check this video out.

thank you again. I have followed this video several times prior also. where my problem seems to begin is when i flash the backup file to the radio. It just sits there never really does anything. ( green bar never starts ) i have waited as much as half an hour and no action. One of the examples here showes the radio as drive F. anyway this is where i am stumped. Thank you again I enjoy painless360 videos. and I appreciate your help.

HENNY

Very Strong User
Reaction score
thank you again. I have followed this video several times prior also. where my problem seems to begin is when i flash the backup file to the radio. It just sits there never really does anything. ( green bar never starts ) i have waited as much as half an hour and no action. One of the examples here showes the radio as drive F. anyway this is where i am stumped. Thank you again I enjoy painless360 videos. and I appreciate your help.
I am an Opentx kind of a guy now so for me no need to go back. Sorry can't help you.

rcboutique

New User
Reaction score
I wanted to share what i did to make it work. I set

ZDIAG as per instructions and companion on 3 current win10 notebooks ( 2 dels one lenovo ) I decided to try my desktop and the FLASH process went right through, As described earlier. It appears to be a hardware USB situation in the notebook computers I have.
thanks again HENNY. at least i got it working now.

DVF

New User
Reaction score
Hi Chris
Thanks alot by your post, I think its the unique in the net good enough to understand.

But please tell us, is this of your post for Horus X10 just?

I did it on my Horus X10S Express and the menu was another different and with less performances.

If so, please, can you say from where can I get the same flash files but for my Radio?

Thanks alot in advance Sir.

DVF

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
DVF - He did this back in Feb 2019, so some things may have changed a bit, but I don't think he used anything special.

What issues are you running into?