What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horus X10 "RSSI Low" Warning

plane_tech

New User
Reaction score
Greetings all.
I am having an issue with my x10 that I was wondering if anyone else has experienced.

Quick back story... A couple of months back I had replaced the RTC battery. In doing so, I inadvertently moved the LCD screen. I let it go as everything was working and I really didn't have the time to fix it. I finally took the 15 minutes it needed to take the radio back apart and move the screen back into position. Ops checked everything on the bench, even set up a new plane and all seemed well.

Fast forward to today when I went out for a little flying. Launched the plane (Aspirin DLG converted to F5K with a FrSky RXR6 receiver) and not 30 seconds after launch, I had a "RSSI low" warning. Still had full control and land the plane without issue. I look over the connections on the plane and see nothing that would call for an alarm. Even still, I pack up this plane thinking that there could be an issue with the RX that I can not see at the field and pull a known plane (Bubble Dancer FrSky RX8R Pro with XSR for redundancy) that has flown tons of hours without issue.

I launch the Bubble, power to altitude cutoff and immediately get the "RSSI Low" warning followed by an immediate loss of control. Aircraft goes into failsafe and does a slow spiral while I run across the field where I successfully re-establish control. I confirm I have control and start a decent back to the field with some lazy circles not wanting to incur a ballistic return. The warning message continues but I do not loose control of the aircraft and make a successful and otherwise uneventful landing.

I put the Bubble on the stand and immediately do a range check. Not 10 feet away the RSSI single is bouncing between 53 and 46 with the accompanying "RSSI Low" warning. Signal degrades rapidly with each successive step away, and the lowest I noted as 43. Moving the radio around, changing orientation does nothing to improve or worsen the signal strength. Historically this setup (RX8R Pro and XSR) maintains an RSSI signal strength in the mid 60-70s and has had multiple flights to 399.9ish feet without any signs of a low signal.

Skip to this evening where I pull the back cover of the radio off again to see if the antennas had inadvertently been knocked loose. All still had the factory yellow compound with no signs that there was any movement. The antenna on the bottom of the case look fine and there was no sign the solder joint was cracked or compromised. I also checked all the wires / connections that had been disturbed for the RTC battery change and found no issues. Just to be safe a disconnect and reconnect the only antenna that was near where I was working (the bottom one). I then reassemble the radio and repeat the range check in the shop . This has the same results as early, with the addition of "RSSI Critical", so it dropped below 42.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Am I looking in the right place?

I do not have any external modules that I can test with and I have a dummy load on the external antenna connection.

Any advise would be most helpful!

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
As you attempted a physical repair I'd send it in to a service center.

I've sent 2 radios to Aloft for repair for issues I couldn't find. (I hold several commercial FCC licenses). Aloft has the tools, parts and knowledgeable techs to address most problems with this radio.

All the best,
Konrad

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Really hard to say what the issue might be, but my thought is the same as yours, something happened inside the radio. Sounds like you have tried 2 different receivers with similar results, so that points to the transmitter.

If you plan to send it in, it is a good idea to send the receivers also, and we will check them at the same time.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things.. So I'd say take another close look at things.. Nothing else is coming to my mind..

HENNY

Very Strong User
Reaction score
When you moved the main board to replace the RTC battery you may well have strained the RF cable from the IXJT module or even damaged it. If the RF module was operated in this condition it may have damaged the output driver. I would send it to Aloft for checking etc. It's a pity the RTC battery is mounted on the underside of the main board making it more difficult to replace.

If the IXJT module needs replacing maybe time to consider replacing it with the ISRM module which will then allow you to use the newer Archer receivers.