What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horus X10 ACCESS Upgrade kit

Dennis

New User
Reaction score
The only site that ahs them is Horus.com i purchased a set in january still not installed the boards as there is no firmware to support the upgrade frsky has promised coming soon now for month's there was and is still a bug in the firmware so my advice is to wait

Dunback

New User
Reaction score
I also got a set from Horus.com. It took too long and the packaging didn't travel well. I tried the install but the ISM board went bad. I'm waiting to hear if Frsky will replace it. If I need another I'd much prefer Aloft.

Dennis

New User
Reaction score
Soory to hear about your install of the ISM board that should have been a bolt in install what happened was the board bad to begain with or was it damaged from shipping mine came right away and the packaging was perfect i have not installed the board as the firmware is still not available for this upgrade wish frsky would get all this fixed already

HENNY

Very Strong User
Reaction score
The ISRM firmware for the older version of X10 v2.1 ACCESS is still under final testing. A modified version was released 3 days ago. Best to wait until it's fully tested.

Dennis

New User
Reaction score
Hi Guy's
Well it's now 6 month's into the year and frsky still has not released the firmware for all the TX and upgrade boards i have friends that own Frsky TX these are the new version ACCESS and they don't work no firmware update for them i think 6 month's is long enough.
Next question i have is how dose the open TX work with this new protocol or dose it?

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
People have been using the upgrade boards for the X10 and X12S for sometime now. Firmware does exist for them, but not officially as I recall. Since we never released the boards at Aloft I have not stayed very close to the subject, instead waiting for the boards to be more supported. FrSky has been making noise like this will happen. We do have the boards here, but never released them for fear of the firmware nightmare it would place on our customers. We like to shield you all a bit from this when possible.

Yes, both the upgrade boards will work with the X12S with some adaption for an extra antenna. This means you can have the new wireless trainer also. I suggest this is only for Expert users that like to be on the cutting edge of painful.

Dennis

New User
Reaction score
Hi Wayne
Thank you for your comment i have a question for you if the firmware to run and use these boards in the upgrade is not available how would it work please explain.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I honestly have not followed the process, but it uses firmwares from FrSky. I think you would need to go over to the German forums to read up on what they are doing.

Dennis

New User
Reaction score
Wayne
I have been following the progress although there has been progress in the firmware bug issue it is not completely resolved and Frysky has not release a firmware for any of the TX's except the new series of X10S express ETC nothing for the upgrade boards or any of the other X9's ETC not good.

HENNY

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Wayne
I have been following the progress although there has been progress in the firmware bug issue it is not completely resolved and Frysky has not release a firmware for any of the TX's except the new series of X10S express ETC nothing for the upgrade boards or any of the other X9's ETC not good.

Hi Dennis I hear your frustration. As painful as it maybe FRsky will have a resolution some time in the future as they alway do. ISRM firmware for all the EXPRESS radios v2.1.0 has been available for a month now and I have totally re flashed all my gear with ACCESS. Its been pretty much faultless even though some complaints are still surfacing for the G-RX8. I have a few of these receivers as well as RX6R and I find them to be rock solid running ACCESS. I am also very happy with the FLR warning in conjunction with RSSI. Have setup warnings at 20% and 30% frame loss. I also find the Spektrum display very useful. You could alway sell your X10S and purchase the new X10S EXPRESS radio. I love my X10S Express.

Dennis

New User
Reaction score
Hi Henny
Here's what i have a problem with Frsky sell's me a product with a claim i can upgrade my X10 to the latest protocol which i can't oh i could install the board's but then the radio won't work because the firmware dosen't support it i have contacted frsky about this and i get no response, let me add this when i bought this radio it was less then a year old and frsky came out with this new protocol.
Yes i can sell my X10 along with the boards and take a loss on it all let me ask you this how would you feel if you were in my shoes i am not alone i have several friends that own frsky TX's and they are bailing out.
Frsky may not care about what i have to say but look around how many have fallen futaba will make RC radio's for as long as this wish because this is a hobby for the company they make digital display's for automotive but the rest have come an gone.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Dennis - Not sure I follow you on the Futaba statement. Futaba is in deep water right now and have been trying to sell the hobby side of the business for years. No takers. Now that their distribution is controlled by the parent company of their largest competitor it does not look good for them in the US market. They are in a similar situation that JR found themselves, and I fear the same result. It is sad, I like Futaba, my first radio in the hobby was a Futaba when they were a very new company. Sadly Futaba stuck with an old school distribution system and it has choked their sales. Much like JR and even Hitec, it does not work anymore. Hitec is now in the process of pulling out of the radio market. Sanwa for the most part is also out of the market, I doubt we will see any new Sanwa/Airtronics systems. It has been a 10 year slide for the big radio makers. The development, marketing, and distributions systems have been disrupted and the old methods are no longer sustainable. Even Spektrum is feeling this, but they have adapted to these changes much better, and lets face it, they are one of the major disrupters, but now they are being disrupted too.

This is the way of markets and businesses.

FrSky has worked very hard to build something new. And they have always worked very hard to take care of their customers. Like all of us they have been dealing with a lot of changes recently and they are working very hard to address issues and provide fixes. They have a beta team to help iron out the bugs before releases. One of their major weaknesses in the past. The testing and the Covid 19 really slows development, but they are still releasing updates far faster than any other company. (Futaba has a track record of never fixing known bugs.)

I will stress that Covid is still a major pain for business. I know for my little business it remains a daily challenge. We have almost never had a lost shipment from a manufacturer, I can't even count the lost shipments we currently have on one hand. And these are BIG shipments. It is a total mess. Getting enough labor into the shop here just to do the basics is a daily challenge. Working with manufacturers that are all struggling with the same challenges... You start to get the idea.

FrSky has not forgotten about you or the other X10 owners. They just need more time.

As for your X10, that is one of the best radios made regardless of company. There is little need to upgrade it to ACCESS IMHO. Stay with ACCST and enjoy that radio. It is rock solid and wonderfully built. Reality is that ACCESS is still a pain in the butt IMHO. Only now is FrSky starting to offer any of the ARCHER series of receivers that come with ACCESS. We will not have any in the USA for about a month.

I do hope this helps shed some light on things. I touched on a number of subjects here to try and paint a bit of a picture for you. I dare say no other radio manufacturer has as large of a development team working that works as hard and as fast as FrSky does. Most radios ship with some bugs, a few of those companies may offer a solution a year later, some never fix it. I can't think of an example where any of them offered an upgrade path for an older product. And none of them give all of the core features in even their entry level radio.

Even though FrSky does not sponsor pilots, many of the world ranked pilots fly them. Not just in the Quad market, but in turbines, F3K, F5J, etc.

Dennis

New User
Reaction score
Hi Wayne
Thanks for the reply as i said about futaba the parent company makes digital displays for the automotive industry i guess the individual who was a hobbist is no longer and they want to get out, anyway i love my Horus X10 it is as you stated rock solid no problems with it my only gripe is with the upgrade boards.
Correct me if i am wrong but as i get deaper into this it looks like to me that frsky's OS is based on open TX which frsky openly states on thier web site will work on the frsky radio systems don't know about the new access stuff, so if what i said is correct then what frsky is doing is adding code to the open TX firmware to make it the access protocol and only work with the frsky line of radio's and this is what started the problem in the first place i have no problem with Aloft hobbies you guy's have been great anytime i place an order Aloft has gotten it out and to me right away but let me say this to you Wayne i don't know if i would put all my egg's in one basket with this radio stuff after being in the hobby business myself i know first hand about company loyalty.

Dennis

New User
Reaction score
Just received information frsky has released new firmware when i looked it is dated 5/27/2020 but it was just put up today.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I received a document from FrSky last night that outlined some concerns they have for the X10 upgrade boards and ACCST 2.1:

Problem affecting products: X10/X10S upgrade module, upgrade kit
Problem Description: After upgrading v2.1.0, the module cannot read the version number, register the pair code, and have no signal output.The board marks can distinguish SL and SA as upgrade modules. L,A or no mark is the built-in module of Express,refer to the pic below.
Cause of problem: Upgrade module is a built-in module for X10/X10S Express
Solution: guide the user to update the built-in module firmware in the X10/X10S express download bar.

I'm not sure what they mean with their solution, but sounds like they are actively working on it and have a solution. Guess it may be the file you spotted.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Wayne i don't know if i would put all my egg's in one basket with this radio stuff after being in the hobby business myself i know first hand about company loyalty.

I am open to all manufacturers. My only requirements are that they are offering good quality, stand behind their products and are happy to improve their products if needed. I like to see that they have a good awareness of the hobby and its needs and actually understand what they are producing. (You would be amazed!!)

While I have little desire to offer any other radio systems. We used to offer Avionic, and we may bring them back as they have a radio with a very low price. Great for budget customers and student pilots. We may also start offering some Spektrum and Futaba products as our customer base reaches well beyond the FrSky gear. We are also sourcing more and more of the hard to find items as well as the super common items we all need to get our planes into the air. Simple things like music wire in both metric and imperial sizes. You may have noticed we have expanded our brushless motor selection, and that will continue to grow.

We like Aloft to be different than the other shops. We are not a box shifting business, we try to maintain a relationship with our customers and with our manufacturers. We love this hobby and we love our work.

Dennis

New User
Reaction score
Thanks Wayne
For the heads up on the firmware i have downloaded it but not installed anything i am not sure what is meant (by this Solution: guide the user to update the built-in module firmware in the X10/X10S express download bar. ) i may never install the boards in my Horus i am going to leave it alone until such time as i have a good handle on what's what.
I have seen all the products Aloft has added and they look good i ahve purchased one of your brushless motor's and it's working great keep up the great service and the best of luck to you.

Kilrah

Very Strong User
Reaction score
It means just download the firmware from the page and flash it with the radio's function...