What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beginner Sloper??? And More Noob Questions...

unreMARKable

New User
Reaction score
Looking for a good beginner slope soarer that would be good for LIGHTER winds. Preferably, something durable, and predictable, but still acrobatic enough to keep me entertained. (I usually fly motorized gliders / sport gliders over a flat field.)

Something that would be easy to build / require little to no building, and hopefully easy to repair, since I will probably crash... a lot... So probably something where spare parts are available.

I've so far looked at Dream Flight Alua and Weasel. I also had looked in to the zulu that Aloft sold but looks like it is not available. (And as of this time, Alua is sold out).

Also, I fly with Spektrum, so I just need to find a LemonRX receiver that would be light enough / small enough to fit in the birds.

And finally, for HEAVIER wind days I would convert one of my Conscendo Advanced gliders in to a slope soarer, so I am mainly focused now on a plane for lighter wind days.

so my questions are:

1) Are there other planes I should be looking at? Maybe the FSST that aloft sells? Looks like maybe the FSST is for heavier wind days.

2) Can the Alua trek really be use for both slope AND for light lift flat field thermals?

3) Any real world differences between the Alua Trek and the Weasel Trek?

Thanks in advance.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
You can stop your search here.

There is no such thing as a good slope and thermal ship. Some thermal ships can be sloped but they still are thermal ships that can catch a thermal off the slope. So back to my original statement there is no such thing as a good slope and thermal ship!

The Ahi is a fantastic light lift aerobatic slope ship!

All the best,
Konrad

unreMARKable

New User
Reaction score
You can stop your search here.

There is no such thing as a good slope and thermal ship. Some thermal ships can be sloped but they still are thermal ships that can catch a thermal off the slope. So back to my original statement there is no such thing as a good slope and thermal ship!

The Ahi is a fantastic light lift aerobatic slope ship!

All the best,
Konrad

Thanks for the note. I do like the looks of the Ahi.

What would the minimum wind strength be that the Ahi can fly well?

unreMARKable

New User
Reaction score
Also, is there a cheaper Flight Pack than the $100 one that Dream flight sells for it?

Seems like a C note is kind of a bit much for a NiMH battery pack, four servos and a couple of short servo extensions.

gp49

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Ahi, 1st choice - winds from under 10mph to 20 (takes ballast). Weasel, 2nd, for the 10+ to 20+ (takes ballast). 3rd choice --- molded 60" or 2m slope plane. Alula, if consistent under 10 mph then maybe... If you do have access to some old skool TD planes they are not bad on slope - just not very acro. Zulu is fun, flying in similar conditions as Ahi. Ahi is stronger and spares are available ;)

What kind of slope do you fly?

Mark

unreMARKable

New User
Reaction score
Ahi, 1st choice - winds from under 10mph to 20 (takes ballast). Weasel, 2nd, for the 10+ to 20+ (takes ballast). 3rd choice --- molded 60" or 2m slope plane. Alula, if consistent under 10 mph then maybe... If you do have access to some old skool TD planes they are not bad on slope - just not very acro. Zulu is fun, flying in similar conditions as Ahi. Ahi is stronger and spares are available ;)

What kind of slope do you fly?

Mark

Thanks for the input.

Well, right now the only slope that I fly is the ones on RealFlight 8 Flight Simulator :)

Looking to get started. I live in the central Marin area not too far from Aloft Hobbies World Headquarters in Novato.

To be honest, I think mostly I will have to fly "outlaw" which is kind of why the Alua Trek appeals to me; the neighbors / hikers / constables might be less concerned about a plane that looks like a bird than a plane that looks like a plane, I figure.

Does Ahi have flaps? Would love to set up crow braking if possible.

Also, is it possible to get less expensive - but still good quality - servos and a battery pack for it? I know that Aloft sold a power pack for the Alua that was less expensive and supposed to have higher battery capacity.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Old school! Those are what I still fly. That is they are modern to my way of thinking. In that they use computor code to generate the airfoil.

Old school to me ment NACA airfoils at best and more often than not the airfoil was derived from the sole of a Florsheim size 12 shoe.:rolleyes:

gp49

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I am not familiar with old skool TD planes... can you elaborate?

Different meaning to different people I guess. To me 'old school' is anything that is obsolete and no longer used in contests or old construction. Being new to this hobby, and doing it because my younger son really likes it, we do not want to buy a $1k air frames (or two if you need a spare) with $250 servos, a $50 receiver. We mostly fly second hand, older planes. Sometime they are a 20+ years old. So we end up buying, getting for free, and refurbishing 'old school / skool' planes for a lot less $$, but have $$$$$ worth of fun.

BTW, if you are ever in the east bay I have 2 Zagi's you can have, they both need a little work/receiver/batteries, BUT they are OLD SCHOOL.....

Mark

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
What did I do to piss you off, really offering me Zagi's!:rolleyes::oops:;)

Zagi's where the screeming gawdawful flying wings with the prop far too close to the TE. This in effect makes the prop a siren. Now they did spawn today's combat flying wing.

All the best,
Konrad

gp49

Very Strong User
Reaction score
What did I do to piss you off, really offering me Zagi's!:rolleyes::oops:;)

Zagi's where the screeming gawdawful flying wings with the prop far too close to the TE. This in effect makes the prop a siren. Now they did spawn today's combat flying wing.

All the best,
Konrad

Actually I was offering them to unreMARKable , but first come first served !!!?

Both of the ones we have (THL and 5C) are motor-less for slope. They Zagis are good up to a point. For me the point was the Zagi Death Spiral. I was never good at recovery. We now have Bee2 wings for 'proper' combat, and have been know to use the Weasels for imprompu combat at Coyote Hills.

Flying Dutchman

Strong User
Reaction score
Also, is it possible to get less expensive - but still good quality - servos and a battery pack for it? I know that Aloft sold a power pack for the Alua that was less expensive and supposed to have higher battery capacity.
Yes, Aloft has Emax and Corona servo's that will work fine for well under $10, I've been very happy with them. You just need to sift through all the descriptions to find the size/torque/whatever specs you want. I made a spreadsheet that I can send you if you like.
Same with batteries. I have their AAA square pack and the 6V 2/3A flat pack; the 4.8V 2/3A flat pack looks like what you need.
The whole equivalent package from Aloft would be well under $50.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Also, is there a cheaper Flight Pack than the $100 one that Dream flight sells for it?
You mean like this:

We don't have the batteries just yet. Just heard they are a delayed a bit more.

gp49

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Does Ahi have flaps? Would love to set up crow braking if possible.

Ahi has a 2 channel wing. You can program you radio for spoilerons (ailerons, up) Works great, but maybe not as needed on the Ahi as it is on faster planes.

The eMax servos are nice for the $. Just check the outside dimensions (I think the 3352 'drops in') to see how close they are to the Dreamflight servos and they should just drop in. One of the reasons that Michael (Dreamflight) sells his servos for the $$ he does, is because they come with 'Fly for ever warranty' Is it worth the extra $50-60? Not sure, but when one of my new servos was getting hot after flying for a while, it was replaced at n/c.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I had much the same question as you looking for a light slope ship.

unreMARKable

New User
Reaction score
Ok, so it seems like the Ahi might be the winner.

But let me ask you all this: How come no one here likes the Alua or the Weasel?

Are they bad?

Or is the Ahi just significantly better???

Last edited:

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
It is the latter. The Alua and Weasel are fun at times. But they fly like a flying wing (almost like a delta, slows way down at high coefficients of lift). Not what we want in a light lift aerobat.

Last edited: