What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archer Plus GR6 compatibility with ACCST Taranis X9D+

ceyak

New User
Reaction score
hey folks - with the lack of availability of the native ACCST G-RX6, can somebody speak from experience to the full compatibility of the newer Archer Plus GR6 when using an older ACCST Taranis X9D+ ?

thanks.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I still use this combo. What do you want to know? I'm running ACCST v2.1.xx in the XJT internal module. I think I'm running OpenTX version 2.3.14. Servo output is PWM, no S-Bus set up (in my setup). I don't like the GR6 Vario but then I never have liked any hobby grade Vario. So the set up works OK.

Last edited:

ceyak

New User
Reaction score
hi @Konrad, that's just the info/confirmation i was looking for - thanks. re: "hobby grade Vario", i've been using a G-RX8 for years and haven't had problems with the vario so wondering what problems you've had and what kind of improvements might be possible with a 3rd party vario? any suggestions for a make/model? thanks again.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
It's me !!!

There is nothing a vario tells me that I don't know before it says anything. This is with line of sight flying. A vario tells me nothing as to where the lift is. If I'm in lift I can see that, before the vario responds. If I'm in sink I can see that before the vario responds. Now a vario can't tell me where the lift is. But if reading the aircraft, and I should be, I can tell where the lift is.

I hate Varios as I tend to forget to listen to what the plane is trying to tell me and tend to fly the vario tone. Not good if I'm trying to thermal fly my ships.

Last edited:

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
hey folks - with the lack of availability of the native ACCST G-RX6, can somebody speak from experience to the full compatibility of the newer Archer Plus GR6 when using an older ACCST Taranis X9D+ ?

thanks.
To actually answer your question, you will need to make sure your transmitter is up on V2 ACCST firmware. This is a separate RF update process, nothing to do with OpenTX. When you perform this change, any existing receivers running V1 firmwares will also need to be updated.

It is a very good idea to update to V2 or UNI anyhow. It fixes a major bug in the V1 firmwares.

At that point the Archer Plus should work about the same as your older units. :)

The Vario is the most accurate that I am aware of, with Archer firmware it does report faster.

ceyak

New User
Reaction score
thanks Wayne - really helpful. been on V2 since it came out so sounds like i should be all set for the A+ GR6. i've had good luck with the high-precision vario in the G-RX8, but also have a FrSky external sensor low-precision vario that i find less useful - the basic meter altitude reading is fine but the vario doesn't really have enough resolution to register the altitude changes at typical vertical lift change rates.

Last edited: