What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horus

Tom C

New User
Reaction score
The screen on my Horus looks dirty and streaked under the glass. Can I clean it, or will it need replaced . Picture looks
fine when turned on.

erieqc

New User
Reaction score
There is a protective film over it if it has not been taken off already that might be what you are seeing.

Tom C

New User
Reaction score
I have removed the film. The strikes are under the glass cover.
Thank you.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
You don't say what Horus you have, but I'm going to guess the X12S, on this radio there is no extra glass over the screen, it is built into the screen. So if you do have a scratch, you would need a new screen, and they are pretty spendy. I think the X10 is the same. (Not sure we have had to pull an X10 screen yet.)

Tom C

New User
Reaction score
It's a X12S and it's not scratched more like moisture or grease smug. When turned on you can't notice
much. For the price it is kind of disappointing .

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Have you tried cleaning the screen? Normal deal, moist link tree towel.. I usually use some of my wife's super super streak free window cleaner sprayed on a cloth.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
It's a X12S and it's not scratched more like moisture or grease smug. When turned on you can't notice
much. For the price it is kind of disappointing .
"For the price it is kind of disappointing." What are you looking for? We would have to spend 3 time the money of the Horus with another brand before getting anything close to the power and flexibility we get with the Horus.

The screen is a supplier supplied component. Fr Sky is not the OEM. If the "Imperfection" does not interfere with the intended operation I don't think there is a spec problem. This is much like the dead pixel concerns with computer screens, they all have some. I may be wrong, but I think that glass in an integral part of the screen (not a cover). FrSky may want to do a function test before installing the screen but this would add to the cost of the radios. Not saying the Fr Sky should do away with any quality program, just not sure where the acceptance criteria should be drawn.

All the best,
Konrad

Tom C

New User
Reaction score
Thanks, If the problem interferes with the operation what rescores do I have.? I try to send you a picture of what I am
talking about.

Tom C

New User
Reaction score
Tried a better glass cleaner and a little elbow grease and screen cleaned up, looks great. My bad should have tried
that first did not know if stronger cleaner would damage the screen. Thanks for all your help. You guys are great.
And I love the Horus.
Thanks Again
Tom

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Thanks, If the problem interferes with the operation what rescores do I have.? I try to send you a picture of what I am
talking about.
I was just trying to level set expectations. While the Horus has the performance of a Rolls Royce the price is that of a Ford, (great value).

Fr Sky does have a warranty, and I recommend we use it. If you bought the radio from Aloft Hobbies, Wayne will try to meet all your expectations. I love this about Aloft Hobbies as these customer returns often allows me to get great products at a discount. These products have often been "burned in" getting past the infant mortality part of the product life, bath tub curve.

All the best,
Konrad

P.S.
Glad the screen cleaned up.

Last edited:

Dano58

New User
Reaction score
Hello I loaded opentx on my x12s , now I try to create a new model and all I get is a glider and plane option no
quadcopter any tell me how to correct this?

thanks

Dan

Laury415

New User
Reaction score
20200214_094252.jpg
20200214_094312.jpg

I have a similar problem with my X10s. When turned off you can clearly see the staining. I started by using a slightly damp cloth, and progressed to stronger cleaners, but nothing made a difference. It almost looks like there is a protective film on the display and there is moisture trapped underneath, but if there is a film it can't be removed. Fortunately the staining can't be seen when the display is on. What cleaners are recommended? What worked?

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
As I recall, very early radios did have a protective film on them that was hard to remove. Later they added a little red tab to make removal much easier. I may be remembering wrong.. But here is a quick test you can try.

Get some good sticky clear tape and stick it down to one of the corners of the screen with one end hanging past the edge. Rub your finger to get the tape to stick to the screen well in the very corner, then peel the tape straight up. If there is a film, it should start to come up with the tape. It may take a couple of tries if there is a film there.

Laury415

New User
Reaction score
As mentioned if there is a film I don't think I can remove it. I've had the radio for about 2 years, so if there is a film I believe at this point heat has fused it to the display and now it can't be removed.

RalfH

User
Reaction score
It looks like the display had an anti-reflective coating on the top that got worn out over time

RalfH

User
Reaction score
not much you can do, its a hard coating applied to the top cover of the display to cut down glare. there is no way to fix it, only wait until it all wears off...
its most visible when the display is off. it should be less visible when its on, but it might impact readability of the display in sunlight a little

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Or replace the display - Probably not the cheapest option, but we might have a good one off a parts radio here.. I'll ask Chris.
@Chris - got any?

Laury415

New User
Reaction score
For right now I guess I'll live with it because it doesn't affect the display when on. Eventually if it gets worse I'll replace it.