What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

X9D Tx (early model) Compatibility

jimmckeown

New User
Reaction score
I would like to see a list of the limitations on the old X9D transmitter. I'm using Open TX 2.1.9 firmware, and X8R receivers. It looks like, now that I have one, the S6R with stabilization won't bind. D8R Rx series do, whereas the new long range receiver and module may not be compatible. Any help on this would be appreciated.

iflylilplanes

Strong User
Reaction score
You may have to upgrade to 2.2.0 or higher, I was advised S series receivers need the later TX firmware. I've upgraded my older X9D to 2.2.2, no issues (be sure to download the correct SD card contents), and bound, setup and flown two models with S6R receivers. Make sure when setting up for bind the mode is set to D16.
I have both an X9d and a X9D Plus, both running 2.2.2, both bound to S6R receivers and both transmitters are operating the same. If there are any differences, I haven't come across them as yet, I'm not saying there are not limitations, I haven't found any.

Masterpiece

New User
Reaction score
iflylilplanes,
May i ask if in your x9d, the internal XJT module, if you have flashed/upgraded it with a newer version from the Frsky website, from what it came as from the factory?
I'm having all sorts of binding issues (a G-RX6 receiver) with my X9D radio that has 2.2.2 firmware (version 2.2.2 {a5de713b}), and the 2.2.2 bootloader upgraded and i have also upgraded the firmware to the internal module with the file: XJT_NONEU_170317.frk (when you go to radio settings it displays it in the analogs test section at the bottom of the screen as XJTVER 1025 (which is meant to be where you can see what version XJT it is running)
Anyway (sorry for the long speel) but just wondering if your internal module firmware has been upgraded and if so what to and what version is shown it the "analog test" section of the radio settings of the radio?
Thanks for your time 😊

iflylilplanes

Strong User
Reaction score
As yet I haven't upgraded the internal XJT modules in either my X9D or my X9d+, both original. Both have had the bootloaders and firmware upgraded to 2.2.2, as yet I have not had any issues binding to any receivers.
Receivers I've bound are X6R, X8R, S6R, X4R and X4R-SB, as well as D4R-II, V8R4-II, D6FR, V8FR-II and V8R7-II, all have bound perfectly. I won't be getting a G-RX6, vario is not legal for competitions, I do have a plug in vario that I remove on comp days.
I have held off flashing the XJT's as nobody has convinced me it will not cause issues, and at the moment the only issue I have is a low RSSI warning on both TX's at around 250 metres range, never lost conection.
I have a couple of each R-X4R and R-X6R receivers for my gliders, as they are the only aircraft I fly at long distance. Can't test fly at the moment as I have just had a new knee installed and I'm not able to drive for a couple more weeks.
I just checked both XJT's, the X9D says XJTVER 0 and the X9D+ says XJTVER 215, both are the original firmware they came with.
Hope this is of help

jimmckeown

New User
Reaction score
Thank you Dave for your advice. If you ever get a chance, check out 900 gHz module and receiver and tells what what you think. Be interested knowing if the gear is compatible with the X9D.

iflylilplanes

Strong User
Reaction score
900 Mhz is not legal in OZ, getting fined for using it is possibly not going to happen, but, I have no reason to go to 900 Mhz as 2.5K is about as far as I need to fly with my glider. I may in the future get myself a L9R receiver for long range.

Reaction score
S series RXs have a weird binding bug with some X9Ds and early X9D+ TXs. Only some RX numbers work. Originally it was thought to be the case that they don't work with X9Ds but generally it seems it is possible to get the S RXs to bind but you have to try different RX numbers. Some people find just odd or just even numbers work...don't remember off hand if a pattern was proven. Upgrading the firmware, either OpenTX or the XJT did not seem to make any difference.
The conclusion is that there is just something odd about the SRXs that can make them difficult to bind.

That said OpenTX 2.2.2 has better support for S series RXs...a lua script that allows you to configure them from the TX.

iflylilplanes

Strong User
Reaction score
I upgraded both my X9D and X9D+ to 2.2.2 originaly to test a couple of S6R receivers, both transmitters and both receivers worked perfectly from the word go, used Lua script for tuning as well with both transmitters. Happy as hell with all my Frsky gear.

Laz

New User
Reaction score
I have X9D on version2.2.4 I want to update a S6R to latest firmware using the external module pins, No1 can this be done. If yes how? No2 how can you find out the firmware version that's on the S6R? Thanks Laz

AndyNealG

New User
Reaction score
I would like to see a list of the limitations on the old X9D transmitter. I'm using Open TX 2.1.9 firmware, and X8R receivers. It looks like, now that I have one, the S6R with stabilization won't bind. D8R Rx series do, whereas the new long range receiver and module may not be compatible. Any help on this would be appreciated.
I also have the X9d with 2.2.4. My receivers all work 8XR) including an 8SR, but when I went to upgrade to 2.3.4, I can't find a way. FrSky doesnt list the X9D any more in their downloads and open Tx just gives the SD card changes, not the bin. Am I missing something? Or should I just let well enough alone. I just bought 2 new x8Rs and the first is binding fine,
Andy

AndyNealG

New User
Reaction score

AndyNealG

New User
Reaction score
I had to reflash my S8R receiver. Got the download from the FrSky site and followed Utube instructions.
ANG

Chris

Reaction score
To use the Module bay pins you will have to take a male to male servo lead and modify one end. You will need to swap the positive and ground wires.
Module Bay update cable.jpg

Then you will plug this end in to the bottom 3 pins in the Module bay
Mod Bay Pinout.jpg

The other end will stay normal and will plug into the smart port of your receiver.
Then tell it to flash the external module.
There is no way to know which firmware is on the S8R. The only way to know for sure is put the one you want on it.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
OepnTX and companion should make things pretty easy to update the radio. If the X9D has never seen an update it is a little more trouble to get a current bootloader onto it, but after that it is same as the rest. :) Very early radios may have a slightly different RF board in the back..

Laz

New User
Reaction score
OepnTX and companion should make things pretty easy to update the radio. If the X9D has never seen an update it is a little more trouble to get a current bootloader onto it, but after that it is same as the rest. :) Very early radios may have a slightly different RF board in the back..
Thanks Wayne. My X9D updated to 2.2.4 and all receivers work fine, my S6R works well after updating it from Frisky website
Cheers Laz