What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Urgent firmware update to all X receivers and RF modules (ACCST D16) just released

ululi1970

User
Reaction score
Thanks Wayne for chiming in.

For those of us who flashed V2.0.1, is there a way to go back? On the FrSky website, previous fw for receivers are available, but I cannot find the previous version of the fw for the iXJT.

Also, are the problems with the V2.0.1 mostly confined to sensors not showing up, binding issues, etc? Or there is a chance that the integrity of the RF link can be compromised? I have lost 4 airframes in the last two years to issues with FrSky link, so I am a little nervous...

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Who was the OEM for Turnigy? With all the rebranding and behind the scenes corporate contract, not to mention clones it is often difficult to actually trace all the market implication of issue like this.

Allow me to make this simple for you. If it has the FrSky name on it, than it is FrSky. If it claims to be FrSky compatible than it is not FrSky. Third parties are welcome to put FrSky receivers or flight controllers in their ARFs, but few do. Most buy clones that have faulty code as the result of poor reverse engineering. That clone D8 code has several errors in it, but the clone manufacturers are clueless to fix it, they simply copied it from the internet. That is not FrSky's fault.

FrSky has never allowed their protocolos to be rebranded under any other names.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks Wayne for chiming in.

For those of us who flashed V2.0.1, is there a way to go back? On the FrSky website, previous fw for receivers are available, but I cannot find the previous version of the fw for the iXJT.

Also, are the problems with the V2.0.1 mostly confined to sensors not showing up, binding issues?

I honestly do not know the answers. I do not feel comfortable commenting beyond this as I simply have not tested enough.

Hank

Active User
Reaction score
I don't know about the TX programing to XJT (internal and external) interface. My understanding of the issue is XJT and the receiver algorithms. This is why there are two concurrent FW updates. Who was the OEM for Turnigy? With all the rebranding and behind the scenes corporate contract, not to mention clones it is often difficult to actually trace all the market implication of issue like this.
I suspect that the Turnigy TX is made by Flysky. The newer versions are the ones possibly work with OpenTX. Someone I know purchased the older version and it has a hideous menu driven interface that is geared for beginners. But honestly I am basing this on the adds from Hobby King (sacrilege!!!).

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
The reality is you never know who is making the Turnigy products. They are a Hobby King brand and they will partner with different companies as needed.

Hank

Active User
Reaction score
I have been using Frsky Txs for 3 years now and Hitec compatible Frsky Rx for at least 5 years without ever a glitch. I only lost receivers due to "unscheduled landings" due to other faults not related to Tx/Rx. So I'm sticking with Frsky but will be very early about updating any firmware. I might never update any firmware again as long as I can help it.

Hank

Active User
Reaction score
I recently purchased a mini XJT module for my new X-9 Lite. Is that what needs a firmware update? My RXs are older X and V8 series.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Allow me to make this simple for you. If it has the FrSky name on it, than it is FrSky. If it claims to be FrSky compatible than it is not FrSky. Third parties are welcome to put FrSky receivers or flight controllers in their ARFs, but few do. Most buy clones that have faulty code as the result of poor reverse engineering. That clone D8 code has several errors in it, but the clone manufacturers are clueless to fix it, they simply copied it from the internet. That is not FrSky's fault.

FrSky has never allowed their protocolos to be rebranded under any other names.
Sorry, I was talking in general terms as to how issues like this get out of hand when crossing many many brands and platforms.

As to the internet I looks to me FrSky is doing little better. They rely of the internet to vet engineering issues that should have and would have been caught had FrSky had a robust engineering validation process. I'm not talking specific to this issue but in general FrSky releases product far to early. They also rely on the internet to write cohesive instruction (videos) in the use of their product.

Of course if it doesn't say FrSky it isn't FrSky. This is the basis of branding. This isn't to say that brand X isn't technically the same as FrSky if FrSky had marketing and manufacturing agreement with brand X. This got General Motors in trouble with their own internal branding of technically the same stuff under different band names.

Last edited:

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I recently purchased a mini XJT module for my new X-9 Lite. Is that what needs a firmware update? My RXs are older X and V8 series.
This issue applies to your equiment. Depending on your risk assement you can or not upgrade the Firm Ware. Like All FrSky upgrades It is much less frustration to wait for the market (internat to solve) FrSky's intigration issues. "Do Not Be The First Upon Which the New is Tried!". WAIT!!!

Last edited:

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I have been using Frsky Txs for 3 years now and Hitec compatible Frsky Rx for at least 5 years without ever a glitch. I only lost receivers due to "unscheduled landings" due to other faults not related to Tx/Rx. So I'm sticking with Frsky but will be very early about updating any firmware. I might never update any firmware again as long as I can help it.
You and me both. I assume you meant "leary about updating..."

My issue is with the "firm" and the ramifications screw ups like this will cost in the compatibility of products. FrSky has a huge hole in their engineering, and until it is addressed I don't think anybody can have any real level of confidance in the firm and any future (heck, past) products.

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:

Hank

Active User
Reaction score
I recently purchased a mini XJT module for my new X-9 Lite. Is that what needs a firmware update? My RXs are older X and V8 serie
You and me both. I assume you meant "leary about updating..."

My issue is with the "firm" and the ramifications screw ups like this will cost in the compatibility of products. FrSky has a huge whole in their engineering, and untill it is addresses I don't think anybody can have any real level of confidance in the firm and any future (heck past) products.

All the best,
Konrad
I personally think Frsky has a huge selection of products and has exponentially increased their number of products. It might help them a whole lot if they reduce that number and concentrate on perfecting them. Just my opinion based on 35 years of engineering.

HENNY

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Thanks,
do you know where I can download the previous FW for the iJXT?
I had flashed my X10S and X9D+ with v2.0.1 and all was fine except A2 sensor no longer detected using a RX6R. The way back is easy for the X9D+ and RX6R but there is no firmware on the FRsky download site to go back when using the IXJT module. According to the RCgroups website testing of v2.0.1 is underway.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
What's with this RCGroups sh**. Doesn't FrSky have their own internet presents? This would be the tool to use to manage the information on FrSky's brands and technical issues. Public forums like RCGroups are a horrible way to disseminate information, as there is a lot of emotional baggage and speculation. Forums are good to get a feel for the market sentiment but are again horrible disseminate information.

What is "website testing"? Is there any rigerious engineering validation testing of V2.0.1?

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
The service dealers pushed to have third party testing time, but FrSky decided to release prior to that being completed. The Germans have come up with a 180 points of testing they wanted to do prior to signing off on release, but it was going to take time. I really thought FrSky was going to give us this time. They instead decided to release just before China shuts down for holidays. Sadly this is pretty common in China. :(

getsuyoubi

Active User
Reaction score
Here's the latest update from the Germans:

What problems are there and how do you deal with them?

Yesterday, 10:18 +22

New
To counter the feeling that security update 2.0.1 is very problematic, here is a list of the known problems.

1. There are unrealistic telemetry values that can also lead to the Lua scripts not working in OpenTX. After evaluating the information here in the forum, it must be assumed that the error occurs to different degrees depending on the transmitters / receivers used.

FrSky has been informed of this and will work on a solution after the Chinese holidays (from January 31).

2. Problems with the S receivers when setting via Lua or the FROS transmitter menu. Here too it can be assumed that it can occur in connection with all transmitters. According to current knowledge, the function is not affected. Only settings cannot be made or only to a limited extent.

3. Problems with range and RSSI output with the XM + receiver. These are known at FrSky and will also be processed after the return from the public holidays. Until then, we advise you not to fly with this receiver and the update!

3. Binding or problems with establishing a connection. Occasionally there are problems mentioned above due to hardware differences. If one evaluates the messages from the forum and which we receive by email as well as the posts in other forums, this problem affects only a fraction of the previously flashed transmitters / receivers. In these cases, the RF modules are most likely the cause. After the above-mentioned public holidays, it will be clarified whether FrSky can remedy the situation with a revised update or whether the HF module must then be replaced in general.

Conclusion: If you look at the scope of the security updates and the problems that actually occur, the problems are in the lower single-digit percentage range. The actual problem of "sudden servo deflections" has apparently been permanently solved. This was not only determined by the testers but has also been confirmed by all users who have already flown with the update. The testers' impression that the near-field behavior and range has improved significantly in many cases (transmitter / receiver combinations) is also confirmed by customers.

Regarding the problem with the binding or the bad connection establishment, we (Engel Modellbau & Technik) will proceed until further notice as follows.

1. Transmitters that were bought from us and are not older than 3 years (3 years because we have to make sure that the necessary hardware is still available) and that have this problem (binding not possible or connection poor), we check free of charge. If an RF module replacement is necessary, we will do it for free. For stations of ours that are over 3 years old, we will do everything we can to ensure compatibility with the update. We will not charge for the labor time here and provide the required parts with a 50 percent discount.

2. We will check / repair transmitters that were not bought from us for a service fee of 30 euros and charge the necessary parts with a 50 percent discount.

This regulation applies until further notice. Subject to the fact that we have the corresponding spare parts in stock or can get them from FrSky. And it only applies to channels that have not been significantly changed by the customer. So where it is not clear whether the problem was caused or also caused by changes in the hardware. However, this should only apply in absolute exceptions.

I hope that my statement has brought some clarity to the sometimes heated debate in all forums. If real problems are not listed above, please send me an email or in the "Sudden servo deflections" area. Then we will check that and add if necessary above.

Andreas Engel
Engel Modellbau & Technik

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Andreas is doing a great job, and it was he that really found the errors in the first place and presented the data to FrSky. He has been doing an excellent job.

Alft will also be providing update services for those that are not comfortable doing their own firmware updates. I'm sure it will keep us busy. We are just waiting on a clean version of the firmware. There will be a fixed version for ACCESS radios also, again it needs indeepth testing prior to our recommendation.

chuckstarck

New User
Reaction score
I don't know if this is possible or complication for Aloft. I just happened to "FALL" into this discussion on RCgroups. I would not have know anything about this without taking a couple hours looking at the thread and finding that Wayne was helping us all out.
Is it possible for Aloft to send a message to all who have purchased product from them that an important update should be installed, if and when? Other than that, lots of us may never know about it. I trust many models worth over $3,000+ each to FRSKY and thank Aloft for all their efforts to keep them flying safely.