What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade question

Kjwright12

New User
Reaction score
All
Looking to get a Frysky upgrade. Looking at QX7S or the X9D. Price is a consideration.
Any input would be appreciated
Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
This really is coming down to ergonomics. How do they feel in your hand?

Truth be told I've only had 2 or 3 models that needed more than 7 channels, and I have been flying RC since 1979.

After flying some Jr radios I'm hooked on the side sliders (I love them for motor control in higher end gliders). So the X9D wins

As I come from using a Multiplex Royal Evo 12 I love the thinner lighter TX. So the QX7 wins.

Now I love the upgraded M7 gimbals but I don't think they are worth almost doubling the cost of the radio the QX7.

So the short answer is get the X9D, and if you want to you can upgrade the gimbals to the M9 spec at a latter date.

Also get the lighter colored transmitters as it helps keep the heat down in the sun. All electronics run better if kept cool.

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:

Kjwright12

New User
Reaction score
Hi Konrad,
Thanks for the response, I actually have the QX7. But was looking at the QX7S for the upgrades but as you say the gimbals about double the cost. And I forgot to add SE to the X9D in Carbon Black. The one thing that stops me from the X9D SE is that I don’t think it has grip material like the QX7S. Hate to drop a radio like that. The sliders are a plus and the bigger screen. I like how secure the QX7S feels in my hands. And wish the X9D had the same, maybe it does can’t say for sure. And of course the lack of a charging port on the QX7S. Anyway thanks again. Also I like how the switches mount in the QX. Not mounted in a split case like the X9D.
Regards, Kevin

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Only 2 switches are mounted on the split line. And yes this is a pain! But how often do you need to split the TX case during the life of the radio?

Something I'd like to point out is that the neck strap really really helps with ones control of the stick. Give one a try for an hour or so and see if you don't agree. If you find that you like the neck strap while flying you then might want to look at a TX tray or the X9E.

There isn't enough difference between the QX7 and the QX7S to warrant purchasing a QX7S if you already own A QX7. You might want to sell the QX7 and then upgrade to a QX7S but I don't see the benefit to owning both a QX7 and QX7S.

Last edited:

Kjwright12

New User
Reaction score
Conrad,
Excellent points. Maybe I’ll just buy the gimbals and case and leave it at that.
The carbon black is nice looking but not worth it. Black is black. That is when it’s all in stock, all sold out of everything.
Thanks again.
Kevin

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I flew non-hall effect gimbals for years with the X9D+. To my mind the value in The QX7S is in the quality switchs. (Yes, the gimbals are nice). What's with the case?

I'd get and use a X9D+ with neck strap (large padding on the back of the neck). I like to keep a back up TX like the QX7 should anything happen to the X9D+. And when the gimbal pots start to show wear, years from now, upgrade the X9D+ to the M9 gimbals.

All the best,
Konrad

Kjwright12

New User
Reaction score
Hi Konrad

The case to carry the QX in. The EVA hard case. That’s all I meant.
Thanks for all the input.
Talked me out of my X-mas gift. That’s why I like Aloft. Thanks for the honesty
Kevin
Happy Holidays

Jgdeavers

New User
Reaction score
I purchased a Qx7 when they were $100 as a "cheap" trial into the OpenTX world. (A few at our club have the x9, so I'm familiar with the ergonomics of that one... Not bad, but not crazy about the buttons for input).

What a nice surprise it was when I took out of box and held in my hands. I'm a pincher, and everything just fell into place and felt great.
I knew my Futabas days were numbered!

The OpenTX programming has been a non-issue.
After setting up a few different models (flaps, no flaps, Crow, spoilers, a few mixes) it just clicks... You just have to forget what other brands call things. Also learning to use curves helped me quite a bit.

After finding the "Q" and OpenTX were for me, I began watching the classifieds for a used unit to have as a backup.
I soon found a standard model, that had upgraded gimbals, the Aloft nimh battery and charge port added.

I couldn't tear the package open fast enough when it arrived to see (feel) what the gimbals felt like.

Well... I quickly came down from my self-induced "high" !
"I" can't feel any difference... After calming down a bit, I realize that's not a bad thing...the stock gimbals feel Great!

After flying both tx's back to back... I can't tell a darn bit of difference, but that's just fine, as I paid much less for the used unit than the new stock unit.

Yes the "hall effect" gimbals should last longer, though I doubt I'll ever know, as the gimbals in some of my antique radios still work just fine.

"My" final opinion... Buy what ya want.. It's our hobby... Have fun, get what makes ya feel good...
But either is a nice, practical, reliable, affordable radio.

Jamie

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Kjwright12

New User
Reaction score
Thanks Jaime,
But if you didn’t notice any difference I think I’ll stay with my stock QX7, and save the money for something else.
Thanks for the response.
Kevin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Kevin,
I need to be clear on this, I'm in no way affiliated with Aloft Hobbies other than Aloft Hobbies is my Local Hobby Shop (LHS). Yes Wayne really want us to get the best value for out hobby dollar even if it means loosing a sale. He sells mainly mid to high end products that do take a bit of thought prior to purchasing.

Back to the TX questions, as Aloft is my LHS I get to fondle much of the merchandise prior to purchasing.
I can tell you that the ball bearing hall effect gimbals are a noticeable improvement. Not like day or night but a nice improvement. I fly both pinch and thumb (mostly thumb) and love the neck strap for both methods. This is noticeable in the way my helicopters and some higher performance ships. Much to my surprise I like how the smooth gimbals help coring a thermal. The very small movements really benefit from smother gimbal action. True most of my foam toys can't benefit from the gimbals, heck many of the" 9 gram" servos ( found in most EPO models) often aren't suitable going into any model, not even foam board. (Servo responce has more to do with how the model feels in the air than the gimbal. It will take a high resolution servo to get any benefit from the higher end gimbals).

I own a few FrSky TXs, a X9D+ I keep in Denver at my family home. And in San Francisco a X9D+ with recently added M9 gimbals and a X9E with M9 gimbals. I also have four XJT and DFT to help keep my mind plastic with the master slave concept of programing used in the Futaba and JR TX (its not helping :rolleyes:).

My X9E to M9 upgrade
https://forum.alofthobbies.com/index.php?threads/x9e-upgrade.485/

The best FrSky radio in my hands is the Horus 10s.

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:

Kjwright12

New User
Reaction score
Thanks Konrad
They didn’t loose any sales because of your honest critique, I live in SD and still buy from them when it’s in stock. They are a small shop but seem to be the best priced this side of the pacific, hope you didn’t catch any flack from the Aloft owner. Thanks again.
Kevin.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Wayne (the owner) has told, encouraged, me time and time again to call it as I see it.

I just want to make sure you knew that I don't speak for Aloft Hobbies.

What I post are my opinions and are made to help other modelers get the most from this hobby. I also try to support my opinions with other reputable resources. I put little or no emphasis on the sales side of things.

That being said Aloft Hobbies is the best at customer service. Both dealing with product issues (very few of them), warranty claims and the like. Aloft hobbies is also tops with the rarest kind of customer support, that is product integration. Yes, the crew at aloft Hobbies actually know what they are selling and how these products might interact with each other.

While Aloft often has the best price, I can tell you they do have the best, exemplary customer service! High on my matrix for customer support, is the willingness to say up front when they don't know something. I hate it when a vendors says something that is in gross error when they should have known better!

Most other retailers have no engineering perspective as to what they are selling. This results in one often getting motion sickness from all the run around and double speak!

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:

Kjwright12

New User
Reaction score
Konrad
I agree on everything you say. Had a small issue with Aloft wasn’t even expecting any refund as it was such a small amount. But refund was issued the same day. Couldn’t believe it. Anyway I thank you for everything.
Happy holidays.
Kevin.