What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade new Taranis Plus

Airadical

New User
Reaction score
Just received my first Tranis tx. It has 2.1.6 firmware. Should I upgrade to the latest firmware? Is the firmware on companion the same as what I have now? or, is it a different source than factory? I'm a little confused on that part.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
YES YES and YES!
Look for information from Scott Page, Painless 360, and RCdiy

I'm sure there is more than one way to skin a cat. But I use Companion to download from the web and up load to the TX.

http://open-txu.org

Now I did have a problem using a Windows machine. Aloft had to use Companion driven by a Mac to get mine loaded with 2.2.1. I'm told this is a rare occurrence.

FYI: OpenTX and Companion are NOT FrSky products.

Last edited:

Airadical

New User
Reaction score
Here's the part that's confusing to me. The wording below was taken from the open tx-U website. It says Open tx and companion are not part of Frsky. But, when I turn on my tx it say's "Welcome to Open tx". I have seen the mentioned videos but they have not answered my question.

For Taranis users
Please note that your radio has been delivered with a firmware that is customised and exclusive to FrSky, and is not part of the OpenTX team’s offerings and development cycle. It is supposed to be used on its own, exclusively on the radio (no companion), and is supported directly by FrSky which means that should something not work or any feature request should be expressed directly to them. It is stable and suitable for most usage cases, and is the preferred version that most Taranis owners should likely be using.
Switching to the OpenTX team’s releases and using tools like companion should be considered an “advanced” usage scenario that will require some computer knowledge, a bunch of reading to find out about the differences and may cause headaches if things don’t go as expected. Be sure to read the paragraph below about how OpenTX versioning works, and to always use matching combinations of companion and firmware.
  • The Taranis X9D comes with a version derived from OpenTX 1.0
  • Taranis X9D+ comes with a version derived from OpenTX 2.0
  • Taranis X9E comes with a version derived from OpenTX 2.1
  • Taranis Q X7 comes with a version derived from OpenTX 2.2
If you want to switch your firmware to OpenTX and keep the known behavior you should stick to those major versions.
  • The Taranis Plus will not work with OpenTX versions older than 2.0.10
  • Taranis X9E will not work with OpenTX versions older than 2.1.0.
  • The FrSKY Horus X12S and Taranis Q X7 will not work with OpenTX versions older than 2.2.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
That statement is making it known that the production version of the as sold radios are dated and based on Version XX. And some radios (hardware) will NOT work with versions older than XX.

But in your case, upgrade to OpenTX 2.2.1

FrSky has purchased the firmware XX and only guaranties that XX will work with radio XYZ.

So Yes, your radio with the FrSky release firmware 2.1.6 will work as is. But many of the new features in many of the other FrSky offering, such as receivers or sensor won't.

Yes, You don't need Companion. But it is highly recommended by the users and vendors of the Taranis, Taranis plus and Horus radios.

FrSky doesn't support OpenTX and Companion, as they do not have control of the product. But they are recommending their use as an advance feature, (that is why you bought the radio) they are telling you the firmware limitation for each radio model.

What radio do you have? There is a huge difference between the Taranis (X9D) and the Taranis plus (X9D+) as it pertains to the firmware's screen drivers.

Last edited:

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
You have a very good radio. I just wanted to make sure you knew that this is important when selecting the radio in the firmware updater.

All the ebst,
konrad

Airadical

New User
Reaction score
Thanks Konrad. I believe I finally understand whats going on. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm going to suggest something a little different. The version of firmware that came with your radio is very good, nothing wrong with it. If you are new to the radio and just want to get out there and fly, then stick with the current firmware and enjoy the radio and the hobby.

If you are more familiar with the radio, or there is something specific you would like to do that requires the newer firmware, then go for the firmware upgrade.

Avoid the headache of firmware updating, instead figure out the programming, and getting to know your new radio. You can mess with the firmware later once you have a little better feel for things. :)

FlyBoy47

New User
Reaction score
You have a very good radio. I just wanted to make sure you knew that this is important when selecting the radio in the firmware updater.

All the ebst,
konrad
Hello All:

I too own a Taranis X9D plus with the Open TX-taranis-plus Vers. 2.16 firmware. My goal is to configure a S8R reciever. I have read I need firmware 2.2 or above to do so. But first I need to back up the existing firmware and EEPE file and I need Companion to do so. Then, I can upgrade the Firmware to 2.2. Am I correct so far?

My dilemma is Companion is matched to the radio and FIrmware, I think? SO, do I start with Companion 2.1 and back up everything first, or can I go straight to Companion 2.2 and do the backups and upgrade from it?

MAny Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I strongly recommend you get one of these manuals.
https://alofthobbies.com/taranis-plus-user-manual.html

But no, you don't need Companion to back up the EEPE, but it is highly recommended. You can do a back up by placing your radio in "Radio Set Up" MENU (Long hold), then page to 5/9 "Version". To back up to the SB card Press ENT (long hold). This backs up the whole EEPROM.

I would load Companion 2.2.1 on to your computer, back up the EEPE flies in companion. And then flash the firmware.

Please note that I had some communication issue with my radio upgrading from 2.16 to 2.2.1 using a Windows X machine. Aloft Hobbies did my upgrade using a Mac computer.

RCdiy

User
Reaction score
Hello All:

I too own a Taranis X9D plus with the Open TX-taranis-plus Vers. 2.16 firmware. My goal is to configure a S8R reciever. I have read I need firmware 2.2 or above to do so. But first I need to back up the existing firmware and EEPE file and I need Companion to do so. Then, I can upgrade the Firmware to 2.2. Am I correct so far?

My dilemma is Companion is matched to the radio and FIrmware, I think? SO, do I start with Companion 2.1 and back up everything first, or can I go straight to Companion 2.2 and do the backups and upgrade from it?

MAny Thanks in advance for your help.
Use the latest companion regardless of existing firmware on the radio to backup the existing firmware and then models.
Then load on the larest firmware which is 2.2.1.

FlyBoy47

New User
Reaction score
Hello All:

Thanks to your amazing support I have worked my way almost through configuring my S8R. However I have encountered a problem. I am unable to bind the receiver. When I try to bind, the LED comes on half red and the other half yellow, then goes solid green, then it beeps. After powering off and then on, the LED is solid red and beeps. Help? Does this mean it is a bad receiver? or another issue?

Background info: I upgraded the firmware in my Taranis Plus (Version 2.2.1) using the Open TX Online Manual by RCdiy.ca and the Taranis Plus User Manual open TX 2.2 as references and Companion. Then, upgraded the SD card contents using Companion. Then upgraded the S8R firmware using the SD card and the S.Port. As an aside, the downloaded firmware contained two flies: S6R_IBT20180328_frk and S6R_FCC20180328_frk. I mention this because the video I watched only mentioned one file, but I flashed both files to the receiver.

Thanks again for your help!

RCdiy

User
Reaction score
If you are outside the EU only flash the fcc.
Also the file name indicates you used s6r firmware on an s8r. Use s8r firmware.

FlyBoy47

New User
Reaction score
Well, now I feel really old. Thanks for the help again.

OK, I fixed the file issue and have it on the SD card. After selecting the file, FW-S8R-180328, when I try to bring up the flashing dialog box with a long press of ENT (step 6 on page 52 of the Aloft manual) instead of getting the Flash choices and Copy, Rename, and Delete, all I get is "Rename". What did I miss now?

FlyBoy47

New User
Reaction score
Bingo! There was no file extension. Rack it up to my poor computer skills, however once I found the file with the .frk extension, it flashed and the receiver bound as it should. Hopefully I'm back on track.

Many thanks not only for your help, but for your expedient help. I am very grateful.