What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updating an older Original X9D

Gliderguy

New User
Reaction score
Hi all,

A friend just gave me an older X9D non plus which is I think a B model. It has OpenTX 1.1.2 ( I think) and I would like to update it. I've read somewhere and can't find it again that you have to update to a certain release before going to the latest release. I don't know if I need the latest release or not but would like to know how to do it.

I do have a QX7 that I haven't used much but I'm still kinda new to taranis stuff. Hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Dale

Reaction score
If the X9D has 1.X on it you will need to do the Power off "Zadig thing" to upgrade. Zadig allows you to install the correct STM32 bootloader USB driver on your PC. The default Windows STM32 driver does not work. For the MAC the correct driver is built into Companion.

If you don't need to preserve any models you can upgrade the radio directly to 2.2.2. You only need to upgrade major release by major release 1.0 to 2.0 to 2.1 to 2.2 if you want to upgrade models on the radio. You can upgrade them directly with Companion.

The power off "Zadig" method is well described on OpenTX University http://open-txu.org/. You can get the latest Companion from the official OpenTX site ... http://www.open-tx.org/

Gliderguy

New User
Reaction score
Thank you. That helps a lot. I'm a Mac user so I can skip the "Zadig Thing". Updated to the latest Companion last week but been too busy to get hardly any hobby time in.

Reaction score
To be clear even though you don't have to install a STM32 driver for the MAC with recent versions of Companion (it includes the dfu utility thing) you do have to use the Power Off method to flash an X9D that has 1.X installed. Once you are on 2.X and later, the power on OpenTX bootloader methods via USB or the SD card are available to you for future firmware upgrades. You can still use the power off method which has the advantage of replacing the OpenTX bootloader at the same time.

Note: If you use the power on OpenTX bootloader methods in the future you will have to update the OpenTX bootloader as a separate step.

For 2.2.X you need to replace the SD card content with the current version since it has been modified and re-organized considerably since 1.X and is now versioned. Make sure to copy the version file to the root of the SD card, not just the folders.

mike

New User
Reaction score
I also have a older taranis opentx-x9d-v1.102.I really love this radio bought it new 2014 and it is the only one i use now.I been in the hobby now 30+ yrs fix wing flyer.My problem is I am up in years and not good on a computer.Is there a sure step by step way that a old man pull off.
thanks mike

Gliderguy

New User
Reaction score
There are some good videos on You tube. Check out Painless 360 and Scott Page. I'm not as sharp on computer as I once was but also not being familar with the transmitter was a little intimidating. It turned out to be quite a simple process. There is also the option of sending to Wayne at Aloft. I'm sure they would be glad to do the update. There is also OpenTX University.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Yeah, we can do it for you, but shipping gets spendy. The manual we sell covers the steps for old radios pretty well also. I'd suggest giving it a try using the OpenTX University outline, you will not hurt the radio. They can not be bricked. :)