What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble updating firmware

Gerty64p

New User
Reaction score
I have had a QX 7 and have update that several time but last night i got a X9D+ that was on 2.2.1 so i decided to update it to 2.2.3 like my QX7 Built a new Setting for it in Companion and made sure that it was selected, Cleaned out all the old models (Quads and i fly Fixed wing) Downloaded the new SD card (2.2.3) contents to a folder on my Computer Then deleted the contents of the sd card that was in the TX and moved the new ones out of the saved file. Went into companion and downloaded the 2.2.3 Firmware update file and put that on the SD card
when i try to UPDATE FIRMWARE from the screen (on the Transmitter) i get the following message "Not a Valid Firmware file"
what am i doing wrong her Can someone help I think im going NUTS

Reaction score
Not sure but just going by the message it sounds like file the TX is finding on the SD card is not correct for some reason.

A few basic things to check...

Make double sure the Radio Profile you created in Companion is X9D+ and not just X9D. This is a common error. If you selected X9D then reselect X9D+ and download the firmware again. Delete any X9D firmware you downloaded to avoid future confusion.

Did you copy the correct firmware file to the FIRMWARE folder on the SD card? Sometimes you have to shorten the filename for it to be seen on the TX.

Did you update the bootloader on the TX? It sounds like you got a used X9D+ so that may not have been done. Note: Older versions of OpenTX used the name FIRMWARES where the newer versions use the name FIRMWARE and the newer bootloader assumes that name for OpenTX firmware updates. When using the SD card method you update the bootloader from the SD card browser in the RADIO SETUP pages.

If all that is correct then possibly the SD card is not reading. You can try re-seating it, cleaning the contacts, reformatting it and copy the files again, a different SD card...

Or you can try using Companion and USB with the TX either power on in bootloader mode or power off - if you use Windows you have to do the "Zadig" thing for the latter.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Did you put the correct file into the correct folder on the SD? Also, I like to shorten the name of the file, defaults to a very long name!

Gerty64p

New User
Reaction score
Guys I finally figured it out and it WAS MY ERROR when I put a check in the box to Download firmware I FORGOT to hit OK
just exited out and tried
after doing it the correct way everything worked as advertised
GOD I must be getting old and forgetful
oh well thanks to everyone that tried to help the old dumb guy

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out. I think the OepnTX team is looking into methods to make the process less painful. :)