What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tidewater Seagull build tips

jdc

New User
Reaction score
I picked up one of the Tidewater Seagull seaplanes from Aloft and am excited to build it.

Any tips on building? So far my experience with planes has been RTF only, plus building an FT Mini Arrow from their pre-cut kit.

Off the top of my head a couple questions:
  1. Should hot glue/VHB tape the servos in place? Or is friction-fit sufficient?
  2. Is it good practice to glue the motor mount in place? What about the outrigger floats?
  3. Any value in reinforcing the motor mount with e.g. a carbon tube?
  4. Do I need to think about waterproofing servos/electronics?
  5. Related, is the fuselage water-tight on the bottom or are there seams that I should seal up with silicone or hot glue?
Any other tips or thoughts would be much appreciated also!

Cheers,
Jon

Skye

User
Reaction score
I’ve begun flying aSea Wind. I urge you to use conformal or something to waterproof the electrics. I’ve not coated my servos as they are cheap and easily replaced. Flying from water is a blast.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I recommend using Corrosion X on the receiver and servos, basically anything eletrical except for ESC (you can probably skip the servos if you like) and conformal coating on the ESC, or bag and seal the ESC as best you can. The ESC needs more protection than Corrosion X offers. These methods will take care of the water concerns.

On my maiden flight I managed to flip it upside down in the water. Not a big deal, I was still able to run the motor a bit to move the plane closer to shore, but then my ESC got wet, and that killed it. I had to wait for the wind to push it to the other side. That is when we started selling conformal coating. :)

As far as the build goes:

Should hot glue/VHB tape the servos in place? Or is friction-fit sufficient?
Yes, glue or tape them. They will pop out if not secured.

Is it good practice to glue the motor mount in place? What about the outrigger floats?
Should not need to do anything special here. I left the floats unglued as they are a tight fit. If you want to fly the plane from grass you will want to remove the floats as they will cause the plane to spin out a lot.

Any value in reinforcing the motor mount with e.g. a carbon tube?
Not needed.

Related, is the fuselage water-tight on the bottom or are there seams that I should seal up with silicone or hot glue?
Should be water tight. There is a "spine" of foam under the hatch in the nose area. We have found this loose in some of the planes, not a bad idea to glue that down if yours is loose.

The plane like most all boats will collect some water with use and abuse. It is never a bad idea to check and drain out any that may have collected. If you flip it over in the water, it will take on some water, but can not sink. If the water is deep enough you can probably run your motor and use you rudder to bring the plane back to shore. Don't run the motor much as it will be working very hard to spin the prop in the water. (Then again, the motor is water cooled when upside down. LOL) If the water is shallow or well weeded, this may not work at all.

Little trick for getting off the water - Slowly feed in the throttle and apply rudder as needed to keep the nose into the wind. Do no pull elevator, instead let the plane come "on step" first. This means, letting the hull rise up out of the water. You will know when this happens as the plane will pick up speed and just barely be skimming along the water. Now you can put in some elevator to rise off. This takes some practice and some space, I find that many electric pilots are used to lifting off in a few feet. A seaplane will take some more space to make a nice scale like takeoff. When done correctly, it is a real thing of beauty. :)

Here are some pics we took, we had a lot of fun with the plane getting these photos. Just decided we need to schedule another seaplane day!

When you start off, the plane will be sitting down in the water, here is a picture of the plane under power, but not fully on step yet, you can see the water rudder is still down there, and the angle of the full is not level yet: (Please ignore that I have pulled the elevator in this picture.. I learned better later that day.)
seagull_10_1.jpg

A bit later, and we can see the plane is now on step and is picking up speed. Notice the plane sits nice and level, the water rudder is out of the water, and the floats should not be touching the water either.
seagull_11_1.jpg

Here is a better angle showing the plane up on step. If you like, reduce the throttle and cruise around on the water at a good speed.
seagull2_1_2.jpg

And another:
seagull_9_1.jpg

Before you know it, you are up in the air:
seagull_12_1.jpg

If you are going to operate from grass, I suggest removing th floats and the water rudder. Some people like to keep the floats on, but for sure remove the water rudder!!

For landing, I have found that this plane is very easy to land, I pretty much turn off the motor as seen in the photo above, and glide it to the ground, when a few feet above the ground (water) start flaring and she touches down very nicely. Use throttle as needed to maintain your approach.

Hope this helps some. She really is a rewarding plane to fly.

jdc

New User
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I’m working on the build now. Another dumb question - How do you recommend mounting the motor on the mounting plate, which isn’t drilled? Do I need to find a 2.5mm ish drill bit and drill holes? Or am I supposed to glue it?

Skye

User
Reaction score
I would never use glue. Can you find a blind nut set at a hobby shop?

jdc

New User
Reaction score
Hadn’t heard of those before. Neat.
I guess I can order some. There isn’t a lot of room to drill a big hole to mount the blind nuts, though. I’m going to have to measure tomorrow to see if it’s possible.
I may just drill small holes and screw into them and cross my fingers. This mount is a weak point of the kit :(

Last edited:

Skye

User
Reaction score
I’ve never seen the mount. A blind nut sets into the wood, and is easier to use. Post a photo of the Mount?

Scott Page

Very Strong User
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I’m working on the build now. Another dumb question - How do you recommend mounting the motor on the mounting plate, which isn’t drilled? Do I need to find a 2.5mm ish drill bit and drill holes? Or am I supposed to glue it?

Pretty much impossible to use T-nuts (AKA blind nuts) on this mount without tearing apart the motor pod and making a big mess.

I used wood screws to mount the motor. The screws held, but after much crazy shenanigans the motor mount became unglued from the pod and the prop was hitting the wing. I'm not too bright so I didn't shut down the motor before I broke the motor shaft. Through all of this the little wood screws (like servo mounting screws) held the motor to the mount.

I recommend gluing the horizontal stab in place. When using ELE it torques the vertical stab quite a bit.

Also if you want a great maneuver with this -- take it to a stall (very high) and just as it stalls slam full throttle and down elevator. It will flip end over end and sometimes drop very slowly. From this you can also manage to get a knfeedge spin - just crazy stuff.

Also -- I've not found a paint that will stick to this plane. I don't know what that camo finish is made of - but every paint I've tried won't work. I hate the 1776 Mogadishu Camo scheme - but love the flying characteristics of this plane.

jdc

New User
Reaction score
Thanks, Scott. So your mount came un-drilled as well? I thought it might be a QC issue. Did you use appropriately sized (presumably 2.5 ish mm?) wood screws or literally servo mounting screws? I’m not sure where I’d find metric wood screws :p One other thing I noticed on the kit is 2 of the plastic screws have metric sizes and the other one has an imperial size. Haven’t seen that one before!

I’ll glue the stabilizer.

Last edited:

Skye

User
Reaction score
Can someone post a photo of the pod as I’m considering the plane.

Scott Page

Very Strong User
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Scott. So your mount came un-drilled as well? I thought it might be a QC issue. Did you use appropriately sized (presumably 2.5 ish mm?) wood screws or literally servo mounting screws? I’m not sure where I’d find metric wood screws :p One other thing I noticed on the kit is 2 of the plastic screws have metric sizes and the other one has an imperial size. Haven’t seen that one before!

I’ll glue the stabilizer.
It's got pinholes... but they are covered with paint and only visible with bright light. Small wood screws are the ticket. Several in our group have this model and that's what all of us did.

jdc

New User
Reaction score
You beat me to the photo!
As Scott says, the recommended motor (which I bought from Aloft) comes with a mount that hits these holes.
I went to the hardware store last night to buy some teeny wood screws but they had already closed for the night. Hope to pick some up this week and get this plane built!

jdc

New User
Reaction score
The plane is pretty nice and the kit itself seems well thought out, but the mount definitely leaves a lot to be desired. It looks super cool when flying though!

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Yes, I'm pretty sure I used some smallish wood screws I had in my stash of extra building materials. Haven't managed to kill mine yet. :) I did swamp a speed control though. You do want to keep those dry.

jdc

New User
Reaction score
Update: maiden flight uneventful, took off successfully, sounded kind of noisy but did a few circles around, landed, taxiied in. Second flight, few circles followed by catastrophic loss of motor power leading to nosedive crash. Smoke coming out of motor. Kayaked over picked it up, pulled battery. Disassembly shows motor wires completely unjacketed where they join the motor body. Some combination of frayed and melted - not clear which was causal - down to bare broken wires. Motor coils are toast. ESC BEC works but haven't tried to power a motor with it. ESC smells like a fried capacitor but I haven't removed shrink wrap yet to check. I'm not sure if vibration caused motor wire jackets to abrade and then short, or something else, but bummer ending.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Wow, please send us an email, will get you a new motor!! We have not had any issues with these motors, they have been decent performers for us. Anyhow, happy to help you out. Just tell them I told you to email. contact@alofthobbies.com

The stock prop in these kits is horrible! I should probably have the guys pull the prop from the kits!!

jdc

New User
Reaction score
No worries. Thanks for the offer - I'll lob in an email when I do my next order with Aloft. Do you think the stock prop & adapter were the source of the vibration? Maybe it actually wore through due to shaking?