What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taranis X9D Plus

Reaction score
Really not sure what upgrading the firmware has to do with how easy the radio is to program but...

The problem is you need to upgrade the firmware, the bootloader and the SD card content together.

If you are using the FrSky version of 2.2.2 then the SD card content is here...

https://www.frsky-rc.com/taranis-x9d-plus-2/

If you used the"official" OpenTX version of 2.2.2 then the SD card content is linked from the Companion 2.2 File->Download dialog and is also linked from the Companion download page...

http://www.open-tx.org/2018/07/28/opentx-2.2.2

Unfortunately they are slightly different and generally I recommend using the official "Open TX" vesions except that does require you to install Companion so is more complex to do

The bootloader is part of the firmware file but you update it by putting that file on the SD card in the FIRMWARES folder, navigating to it using the SD card browser in the RADIO SETUP pages, selecting it and pressing ENTER to get the menu. If the firmware file doesn't show up on the radio you may have to shorten the filename.

The SD card content was re-organized between 2.1 and 2.2 so once you have updated the bootloader you should replace the SD card content with the 2.2.2 version. Make sure to copy the version file in the root, opentx.sdcard.version, since it contains the version string that the firmware checks.

Reaction score
Some links to manuals in case you omitted to buy the Aloft printed one...

The official OpenTX 2.2 manual
https://opentx.gitbooks.io/manual-for-opentx-2-2/

A good introduction to OpenTX programing...
http://www.rc-soar.com/opentx/basics/index.htm

A good .pdf Companion oriented reference of OpenTX 2.1 features which mostly all apply to 2.2
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=8724
and the same updated for 2.2
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewto...p?f=45&t=10905

A good online OpenTX manual effort...
http://rcdiy.ca/opentx-guide/

If you missed Aloft's printed manual...
http://alofthobbies.com/taranis-plus-user-manual.html

Woodway

New User
Reaction score
You are very kind to take the time to send all of that to me. I will read it all bit later on.
Thanks again

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I am beginning to think that I should not be using this system at all.

I upgraded the firmware from 2.1.6 to 2.2.2 and now when I turn on the transmitter I get an SDCard warning
"Expected version 2.2V0018"
also, no simulation because " Missing Library"

I have spent the best part of two days trying to set it up. I could have done it all on my Futaba in five minutes at the most. The ONLY reason I went this route was that I wanted more than Eight channels.
Big Mistake.
At some time you took the time to learn the Futaba Master/slave concept. To pick up OpenTX will actually take more time as you will have to change (un-learn) what you may think is obvious. Having come from a programing architecture similar to OpenTX (Multiplex) I will say I'd be lost without the paper manuals. OK, I'm a bit of a luddite in that I hate all programing beyond machine language.

Your SD card warning is a warning that the voice files are not aligned. This has no real impact on your programing issue. I don't know what you may or may not have done to loose the library. These look like normal administrative issue with high powered programs. Does your Futaba allow you to upgrade the firmware? Or are these upgrade functions done by sending the radio in for service call?

Have you figured out how to set up and bind two receivers together to use more than 8 channels?

FrSky and OpenTX are very flexible programs that allow for a huge array of programing possibilities. But like all programs it take a bit of a systematic learning approach to get some basic proficiency. Don't expect to be as comfortable with OpenTX in few hours as you are with the master/slave stuff you have been working with for years.

I've only programed 1/2 a dozen OpenTX models and am still amazed at the power of the OpenTX . True I can still do much more with my Profi 4000 V2 programing but even with the little I've used OpenTX I can see that it has more potential than the great Profi 4000 V2 programing.

Start with a simple model and build upon it. Most of the videos build on this concept. One needs to learn to crawl before on can run a marathon. Or put another way one needs to learn to hop before on can fly with the eagles.

Now if you aren't willing to put the time into the program then the legacy that is Futaba might be a better fit.
It really is up to you. True, FrSky/OpenTX is not Futaba or Jr. And for many of us we are truly thankful for that.

All the best,
Konrad

Woodway

New User
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying . But the big difference is in two items.
1. The openTX system is not logical and,
2, it uses "Geek" instead of English which is the most used and most complete language..

I must also confess That I want to stay with the XPS system that I have in about 10 models. I am exploring other options.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
It is very logical. And like most logic problems is not very forgiving to syntax errors. This is where the manual for the systems comes in handy, this is true for any program. There is no such thing as intuitive programing! (Hint: Some of the terminology has changed. Please be aware of this when looking at some of the older videos. )

"Geek speak"? Global variables is geek? English is one of the most hack up and inconsistent modern languages there ever has been.

XPS is what I used to convert my Profi 4000 to 2.4 ghz. I'm not aware that they had a TX programing protocol.
http://www.xtremepowersystems.net

All the best,
Konrad

Woodway

New User
Reaction score
English is one of the most hack up and inconsistent modern languages there ever has been.
I don't know where you learned English, but I have to disagree. If your comment was true then why then is it the only language used by every airline worldwide.
Understood and used properly it is very specific. I read a review of the Taranis, that while it was a great radio, its method of programming was "Totally illogical" so I am not alone in that respect.

I am now looking to see if there are any other makes of transmitters with more than 8 channels that can be used with the XPS system. I have that system on all my models, having used it now for about twelve years.
If only Jim would sell a transmitter, but we have been waiting for that for about ten years!
The attached photo shows just how simple it is to assign an auxiliary channel to any switch in my Futaba
Just click on the box and scroll through all the options. close it and it is set
Channel Select.jpg

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
English is a mash of about six languages. This is why there are so many exceptions to the spelling and grammatical rules. Linguists tell us it is one of the 3 most difficult languages to master.

As to its use in aviation that can be traced to the fact that we (USA) were the world's super power in the mid 20th century. It is a bit odd that it isn't french as the french made the most contributions to early flight. This is why we have terms like empennage, longeron, aileron, decalage etc..

Switch assignment looks much the same. Find the screen, select the option, enter and move on. I see that Futaba also has character limits in the naming fields (SwH) rather than Switch "H".

I think folks confuse comfortable with logical. The constraints on the master/slave programing architecture limit the flexibility of most TX programing. The use of object based programing architecture such as that used by the Profi and OpenTX is much more freeing. Now this means that often there is more than one way to get the task done. This is great as it often allows one get out of a programing corner without totally dumping the program. I say that OpenTX is the best, easiest* most powerful Tx program to date. If the user is only use to (comfortable) the typical TX programing architecture found in the Futaba and Jr programs this change in mind set can be daunting. (I use the term "typical" as market dominate).

I say this with only a rudimentary working knowledge of these programs; The Jr Galaxy, Ace MicroPro 8000, Futaba Super Seven, Jr 8103, Multiplex Profi400, Multiplex Evo 12, Spektrum DX9 and now OpenTX.

If looking to move to OpenTx because you wanted more than 8 channels I can understand your frustration. But if you are looking for freedom from the constraints of what Futaba, Jr and now Spektrum offer there is nothing as powerful as OpenTx on the market today.

OpenTX is not for everybody.

FYI; The programing constraints of Futaba and Jr are similar as they both used the same basic micro processor chip.

Jim has said he will never produce a TX as the regulatory issue are too great for such a small market. You can see this in that Hobby King has not gotten FCC approval for the TX modules they sell.

*The TX user interface is not smooth. One has to be aware that the length of time one holds down buttons changes assess to options. But OpenTX offers us the superior interface with "Companion".

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:

Woodway

New User
Reaction score
Konrad.
To each his own.
With the exception of the number of channels, there is nothing in the Taranis that I would use that isn't in my T -10CAP
I don't need to be able to change the length or tone of a BeepI
If I can find another transmitter with more than 8 channels that will work with the XPS system I will be glad to make you a deal you can't refuse.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I don't know if some of the older Futabas' can transmit more than 8 channels. But something on the secondary market might work with the XPS Tx module. I have a new in package XPS 10 channel RX with "Spherical Radiation Tech" that I'd be willing to trade.

Really OpenTX is so much more than changing the beep or having Amber talking to you.

You know I often say that with the obsolete programs, there is little or nothing I need from the latest and greatest. But looking back at my first logic driven radio, the analog Ace Silver Seven. I can say I'm happy for the flexibility and precision of the digital programs. Yes, even those from Futaba and Jr.

Before throwing in the towel please try the Aloft Manuals. I'd hate to see you loose the $200 value and the power that is the Taranis plus.

All the best,
Konrad

Reaction score
The attached photo shows just how simple it is to assign an auxiliary channel to any switch in my Futaba
Just click on the box and scroll through all the options. close it and it is setView attachment 1263

With the page you show it is convenient and obvious to edit a channel's control but any other parameters that change how that control effects that channel have to be set elsewhere and you can only edit the control of a few of the channels. That model works ok on simple Transmitters but, if you apply it consistently, it breaks down pretty quickly as you add features and channels.

Open TX takes a different view. Remember that OpenTX supports up to 32 channels and there are about 30 parameters for the control aspect repeated for each mix line and up to 64 mix lines per model.

With OpenTX, to do the above, you select any of the channels from the list on the MIXER page, create or edit a mix line and then set the "Source" field to connect the control you want to the channel. Now you know it is that field you don't need a special page for it!

All the other parameters that determine how that control will effect that channel through that mix line are set on or via the same page. If you want the channel to be controlled by more that one thing then you add another mixer line to the channel on the MIXER page.

It is certainly true that OpenTXs model editor pages are not arranged in an order that guides you immediately to their purpose. They are set up for an experienced person to access all the functionality reasonably quickly. The order of the pages is somewhat arbitrary but then an opinionated hierarchy is arbitrary and probably not needed for just 14 or so "subjects". Once you have learned where things are and have an idea what they do, any such sign posts just waste space on a small screen or add burdensome navigation of unnecessary hierarchies.

gnichola

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I am beginning to think that I should not be using this system at all.

I upgraded the firmware from 2.1.6 to 2.2.2 and now when I turn on the transmitter I get an SDCard warning
"Expected version 2.2V0018"
also, no simulation because " Missing Library"

I have spent the best part of two days trying to set it up. I could have done it all on my Futaba in five minutes at the most. The ONLY reason I went this route was that I wanted more than Eight channels.
Big Mistake.
When you install a new version of the OS on the radio the SD card contents need to match. For 2.2 the x9d+ SD card contents you need to go here: https://downloads.open-tx.org/2.2/release/sdcard/opentx-x9d+/ and download the version ending with 18. If you will notice after you unzip the folder you will see a file named "opentx.sdcard.version" and inside there is the version string for that particular folder, which in your case will be 2.2V0018

Woodway

New User
Reaction score
Thank you but that sort of operation just reinforces my decision to sell it. I just found a system from RadioLink, while it only has 12 channels, that is enough for me, and it does everything I need, including telemetry, but best of all the system used to program it is a clone of my Futaba 10 TCAP, so no learning curve at all.

Reaction score
Well if you are happier with a radio system that has basically no support infrastructure that's fine.

RadioLink have improved from a few years ago. Possibly the firmware is less buggy than it used to be but I wouldn't expect any updates or fixes. At least there is nothing evident on their site that they ever provide them...and I don't think that is evidence of their products being bug free! I have only ever heard that while the radio quality was ok for the price their firmware kinda sucked but I've never used one.

Personally I think you are overreacting. OpenTX is different and it is not set up to guide new users. You have to take a bit of time to learn some basics. Then it becomes more rewarding. Things are done consistently and it is actually quite straight forward once you get the idea of it.

But whatever flies your plane.

Woodway

New User
Reaction score
My Futaba 10 Cap is 12 years old I send it for a checkup now and again but have NEVER used or needed Manufacturers support. At the price level of the RadioLink it is just easier to get a new one. As to taking time to understand a system where they forgot "That just because you can doesn't mean you have to"
I have better things to do with my time.

gnichola

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I say to each his/her own. Your experience is unfortunate and I would recommend to anyone who gets one, not to do any updates to the radio unless you understand the implications and are willing to take the time to learn how to do it. I would also say, for most people an upgrade wouldn't be necessary. Just learn to use the radio first, then later, if you hear about features or options in a newer version of the software that you want, dig in.
Lastly, I will say that pretty much every radio brand has their own "way" and each will require an owner to learn that way. My first radio was a JR, then I moved to Futaba, first their 9Z, then the 14MZ, and all three of them required some amount of time get what I wanted done. Sure, easy stuff was fairly easy on all 3, but each required help or reading when it came time to get some mixes going. I found OpenTx frustrating when I first turned on the radio and tried to setup something because my head was thinking about the menu driven setup that all the other guys had. Once I went to http://open-txu.org/ and did a little reading to get a fundamental understanding of the radio and how it works and once I did, everything was a whole lot easier.
I wish you well in your endeavors, regardless the radio you choose.

Woodway

New User
Reaction score
I understand your position but I like to spend my spare time scratch building and occasionally flying. I don't need to have to spend hours trying to figure out a new system when I don't have to.

As regards the earlier comment that ..."probably no Firmware updates."

Have you ever considered that 90 % of firmware updates are to fix errors in the earlier version?
That shows that they manufacture is releasing the product without thorough testing.
Firmware that doesn't need constant updating was written properly in the first place.

Going to call it quits on this forum because we are just going around and around. I am not changing my decision and I don't expect anyone else to do that either.

Deepblueflyer

New User
Reaction score
Im just thinking of all the reviews I've read, all of the You Tube videos I watched before deciding to buy this X9D PLUS SE, Not 1. Not 1 single review brings up the fact that you might want to have a PHD in computer programming in order to use this system.

HENNY

Very Strong User
Reaction score
You upgraded the radio firmware to 2.2.2 which is a very old version currently at v2.3.11 available here https://www.open-tx.org/ There are two step in upgrading an Opentx radio.
1. The internal radio firmware.
2. Matching SD card contents files.
Its a two step operation.

The warning "Expected version 2.2V0018" simple means your SD card contents doesn't match your radio firmware.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Im just thinking of all the reviews I've read, all of the You Tube videos I watched before deciding to buy this X9D PLUS SE, Not 1. Not 1 single review brings up the fact that you might want to have a PHD in computer programming in order to use this system.
That is because you don't need a PHD in electronics of software development. Believe me when I say I'm totally inept at moving bits and bites. Now I will say that it is assumed you know how to manage files within the operting system (Windows and Mac) you are using.

Now we have all said that there needs to be a major change in ones mind set when moving from the very restrictive master slave concepts of say a Futaba radio with the menu driven mixes. With OpenTX we have the object based concept where the mixer takes in the inputs manipulates them as you define and then outputs the results. This is far more flexable than anything yet seen in a fixed menu mixer format.

Now I will say that FrSky has some major issues with their FW roll out and revision control with production products. (Nothing new in box talks to anything else new in box. You are expected to go through the FW revision history and pull out what is applicable to your products. There is painfully little documentation to guide one through this process)

@HENNY where are you getting what files and FW are being used?

Last edited: