What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stormbird 2m

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Yikes, I can see those dragging all sorts of models along the ground.

Can we at sometime, see the hill you are flying from. At the flying sites I fly, at there is no need to be a baseball pitcher. I often just let go of my models at the lip and let the model accelerate down the slope. By the time the model has fallen from shoulder height to my feet I have enough airspeed to fly just about anything (wind speed plus gravity). Usually my models even those at full F3F weights zoom up out of my hands rather than fall down the slope.

jvaliensi

Active User
Reaction score
IMG_1849.jpeg

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
That looks like a nice spot. That also looks like a nice medow. Well not the "cliffs" I fly from, the slope down the hill should allow just about anything be at flying speed by the time the plane hits the ground. Assuming there is lift and wind coming up from the valley.

Heliben5203

New User
Reaction score
Good day everyone. I just finished signing up to be a part of your forum. I am not new to R/C flying but am new to the world of gliders. I in the final assembly finishing stages of a Soarus glider I got into a couple of years ago when I attended an annual flea market here in Kansas City. Right now I need to know if the category of gliders I’ve seen on your pages use some kind of an internal balancing system? Possibly a system that would allow a user to fine tune the balance while the plane is in the air? Maybe adjust the balance with the help of a servo on a movable tray inside the fuselage? I have a considerable amount of empty space inside the fuse and a slightly tail heavy condition right now. Someone suggested installing a light ply shelf so the battery could be moved slightly forward from where it is right now. Seems to me that might be a reasonable solution as long as the battery won’t need to be moved periodically. Anyone offer me any advice? PLEASE.?

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Welcome
It would have been best to start a new thread for this line of questioning. (You might get more responses, meaning answers).
Can you also supply us with a photo of the Soarus? I assume it is a Kyosho Soarus.
I have to ask why you want a variable CG? The Soarus doesn't have the speed range to justify the need or the trouble in setting one up. With todays telemetry/sensors and radios, surface deflections are the more practical solution to speed sensitive trim changes.
Responses in RED.
Good day everyone. I just finished signing up to be a part of your forum. I am not new to R/C flying but am new to the world of gliders. I in the final assembly finishing stages of a Soarus glider I got into a couple of years ago when I attended an annual flea market here in Kansas City. Right now I need to know if the category of gliders I’ve seen on your pages use some kind of an internal balancing system? NO, Set the GC per the manual (25% MAC) with the addition of weight (lead). Possibly a system that would allow a user to fine tune the balance while the plane is in the air? Maybe adjust the balance with the help of a servo on a movable tray inside the fuselage? This is rarely done. I've only done this with flying wings. I have a considerable amount of empty space inside the fuse and a slightly tail heavy condition right now. Look up dive test (Charles River club) to find the proper CG. Someone suggested installing a light ply shelf so the battery could be moved slightly forward from where it is right now. Light ply will not hold up the stress of keeping the mass in place. Seems to me that might be a reasonable solution as long as the battery won’t need to be moved periodically. Sliding trays often are not a practical solution Anyone offer me any advice? PLEASE.?

All the best,
Konrad

P.S.

Last edited: