What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Source for ballast (Mibo, Sanda)

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I'm looking for ballast rods that will fit the the Sanda Mach 2 and Mibo 1.5m models. I think these are nominally 17mm rods. Here is the USA we are still on the antiquated Imperial measuring system with a 5/8" (15.88mm) rod being a bit to small and 11/16 (17.46mm) is a bit to large, well for the ballast tube installed in the Sanda.

TIA,
Konrad

RalfH

User
Reaction score
Hi Konrad,
If you want to pour your own ballast, I’m heading to Germany over Christmas and can pick up a few (short!) lengths of 17mm Cu tubing.

Ralf

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Yes, Thank You!
If you don't think TSA will flag you as a pipe bomber.:oops::mad:
Or Trump had an exorbitant tariff on Copper.:eek:

This is for a 17mm OD pipe.

Thanks,
Konrad

RalfH

User
Reaction score
Good point... I’ll chop it in small pieces, how long do you want them? Regarding the tariffs we will have to see, that is too far out to forecast

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
The easy stuff to get around here for a decent price is drill rod and cut to lengths of slugs. Otherwise, for lead, just drill a hole in some wood the correct diameter and pour in some lead or better yet woods metal. :) But I do like a tougher casing for my lead, so check and see if you can source some brass tubing for a decent price. Should be out there somewhere. Then cast your ballast into that. :)

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Konrad,

I'm ordering up some Tungsten and am wondering if you can double check the 17mm size. I'm asking for a quote of 17mmx30mm slugs with slight bevels on the edges. Something like this.
tung.jpg

Getting some quotes on a few different sizes, but the 17mm seems pretty normal size for slope use.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Yes, the nominal size is 17mm (Actual size is 16.98 +-0.01mm) Diameter. These are the brass bars from the Mibo mini T ballast systen uou sold me. I'd like the slugs to be 50mm long. Love the idea of tungsten! I'll use Pb but Tungsten is dencer and safer.

The Sanda Mach 2 has a slightly distorted ballast tube and might benefir from a small diameter slug maybe 16,88MM or have threaded ends to allow an exstraction bar.

Last edited:

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Yeah, I was wondering about undersizing it slightly so it can fit into 17mm ID tubes. 50mm long? You crazy! I find shorter slugs are a lot more universal and less likely to break should they get dropped. Been there, done that.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
You Crazy!

That is the assessment my wife has made of me!

50mm is what was used when placing my ballast tube. It is what Mibo supplied in their mini T ballast system.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Wayne is there any more on this? My Sanda Mach 2 came with a 17mm ballast tube installed. With the cylindricity concerns with molded tubes I'm thinking that 16mm slugs are what I need. Here in the USA 5/8 might actually be more practical. As to length 30mm looks to be a reasonable length. It is what I often see on the slope (copper pipe couplers)

Hank GB Z

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I’ve never flown a glider with a ballast tube so I’m not sure what the best materials to use would be, but McMaster Carr stocks 304 stainless solid bar in 17 mm od. Looks like 12” length is about 34 dollars plus shipping. You can cut it with a hacksaw and make all the small slugs you need. Not as heavy as lead but less health issues.
Hope this helps
Hank

jvaliensi

Active User
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to cut SS with a hack saw.
Lead is ok as long as you don't chew on it.
Brass may be heavier than SS and easier to work with.
5/8" OD is OK, if it is too loose - then give it a wrap of tape.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Having good luck with 15mm copper couplers filled with lead (16.6mm OD). 5/8 brass looks like a safer way even though it is 1/2 a milimeter too small. How's that for mixing up units!

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I cut drill rod with a simple cut off wheel in a grinder. Then cleaned it up with a flap disk and tuned the weight with the flap disk. Pretty quick and easy. But brass would probably be much easier. :)

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I was going to saw, I miss the big band saws at my buddies shop, and the metal worker, and the CNC table, and the... you get the idea.

I have a Dremel at home.. LOL Just not the same. I finally bought a nice old drill press and old belt sander for the garage. Little projects to clean them up at some point, but they are functional and cheaper and better than modern versions. I picked up a nice 15 speed drill press from an old barn for $100. Will work great for my limited uses. Really needed something for drilling steel plate. (Have a vintage 4x4 project at home.)

-Wayne