What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Son of Savage

jvaliensi

Active User
Reaction score
I bought the kit from the designer back in 1987. I finally built it. I have not built an airplane from a box of balsa in a long time. Its a bunch of work. The plans and instructions are so yellow and falling apart. In another year they will be dust.
It's got three KST X08's, a Jeti R4L and weighs in at 366g.
IMG_0136.jpeg
IMG_0134.jpeg

purview

Very Strong User
Reaction score
looks like an amphibian :p
a classic sailplane with sloper genes

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
WOW at 13 oz it is a light ship. Do you have space for a ballast tube?
Would that have been Mark Rebec? As I recall it was marketed as a "light wind" aerobatic sloper.

Well my light wind ship was Mark Smith's Talon. The 60" S.O.S. was my high wind sloper, it wasn't 13 oz! I may have been misusing the S.O.S. as the airfoil really did generate lift. (Like now, I didn't know how to slope :rolleyes:)! I think it was a Eppler 374 or some sort. I really liked it better than the Eppler 205 found on the Talon.

I also had what looked like a built up wing version of the S.O.S.. It was Jack Caldwell's, Craft Air Freedom. While bigger at 72 inches It didn't seem as versatile (well balanced) as the S.O.S. I think this could be traced to the airfoil. I don't think the Freedom used a computer generated airfoil. I think it was Jack's own sharp entry "laminar" airfoil, fast but abrupt.

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:

jvaliensi

Active User
Reaction score
The instructions state they flew it with 7-1/2oz of ballast! They warn to take it easy on landing with that load.
This goes back too far for my memory, but I kinda remember driving to Costa Mesa where they flew slope on a slight bank, maybe a river? There was this guy flying a SOS and it was awesome. He told me he made the kits so I bought one from him. I didn't fly slope again until 2018. Its been on my bucket list!

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
That may have been Charlie Richardson. I think he was the king of slope kits back then. Lots of great performing ships that didn't cost a grand! Like your S.O.S., you could customize it easily as you built it.

I recall hearing that at one time Charlie was into Sig Manufacturing for something like $100K. I was thinking that was a lot of balsa. When I came to the west coast I could see how that could happen as the CR Aircraft were some of the best wood ships and everywhere. Only a fool would fly a moldie. ;) Now I rarely if ever see a wood ship on the slope!:confused:

Yep, back then we normally had a single servo for ailerons, making flaperons of spoilerons rare. I wasn't until the late 80's that I had a digital computer radio that could perform the mix. I did have an analog Silver Seven that had an Op-Amp module that allowed that kind of mix. But slope had too a high mortality rate to put your good stuff in it. Maybe that was why we had such high mortality as many of us didn't have spoilers.

Last edited:

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
They are a great little slope ship. I had a glass one in the 80s or 90s. The bigger Savage was pretty much an early VTPR plane, and the SOS was considered the fast ship, but they are sort of a floater by todays standard.

Yes, this was designed by Charlie Richardson (CR Aircraft) for Mark Rebec. Mark's brother still lives in So Cal as has a collection of his brothers kits. He is a pretty good pilot too. :) Sadly Mark passed away many years ago.

Neat to see a classic freshly born!

rlocke

User
Reaction score
i have son of savage, i fly at the SLoT and Berkeley. it is a great sloper. mine is 17 oz. ( repairs). flies in the moderate range. it has the one aileron servo which works well on a disk instead of an arm. the disk setup allows one aileron to go higher and the other to go lower and the reverse.

you did a nice build. i like the colors, ron

Last edited:

CR Aircraft

New User
Reaction score
If anybody knows where I can get plans for an SOS 60 or 40 I would really appreciate the information.
I think most of the Savage Family of Slopers (the original 70in, 60in, 50in, 42in ws) have had their plans posted on RCG. Just search in either Slope or For Sale Sailplanes sections.
I've got the entire line up and just bought a wooden Savage kit which I'm looking forward to building up (with a few mods)

iti20090

User
Reaction score
Had this pic for many moons, albeit Sonic and Son of Sonic, would luv to even see a three view somewhere - similar but prefer the low wing :cool::D
AVvXsEgtLSFN0Mv3n2ZajlGfTjg1pNXDftZI2IBMFtf58m9AARNQNGkqUUO9FzIWUY1v7u9vY_3-fqy2RLIRxWC8q3uviILqEIf1YYprb5sR2gaKf6Bb9lt8iAsUOvyKuvNub_IKzsg4W5ZZZcaGMeOenqpKXDddM8NkHIyb7W3YuIe_XpyOkt9Z_Vn2rR0Q=s618