What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soaring USA gift certificate (Strega purchase?)

purview

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
shipping went well?
On my last order I had to do a wing-tip repair first. Only a small one and a easy to do thing.
Greets
Chris

Last edited:

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Thanks Doc,

I was hoping to get this information from the designer but didn't want to impose as you were no longer with the firm.

All the best,
Konrad

Actually I never was "with the firm" so to speak.

Never made a dime - nor even a penny.

I did do a lot of designing for them though.

Cheers and good luck with the new weapons.

Doc.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Actually I never was "with the firm" so to speak.

Never made a dime - nor even a penny.

I did do a lot of designing for them though.

Cheers and good luck with the new weapons.

Doc.
Thanks Doc.
Ouch, Was this one of life's learning experiences?

Well, the Stregas™ just arrived from Soaring USA and in great shape!

Alex did a great job boxing them up! Lots of foam at both ends of the box and he used a piece of pine as a keel to help keep the long box from buckling.

I also need to thank Alex for actually doing an inventory check prior to me placing the order. While Soaring USA was showing that they had a carbon ship in stock (and that was what was listed, as on sale). Alex confirmed that the ship was actually glass and that they had two. So while the glass ships weren't on sale we came to an agreement for the purchase of the 2 glass ships.

I was shocked to see that the manufacturing date was 2010 and 2012. (This should mean that the epoxy is well cured!) While I got a good price on the Stregas' I also got a lot of Southern California real estate in the way of dust!

To me this is an indicator of the tight market for these molded ships. I'd hate to be trying to sell larger molded ships. Because as soon as a newer, latest and greatest, comes along, old stock becomes almost unsellable.

FYI; My stabs have two 4 mm pins and one 6mm joiner.

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
"To me this is an indicator of the tight market for these molded ships. I’d hate to be trying to sell larger molded ships. Because as soon as a newer latest and greatest comes along, old stock becomes almost unsellable."

This is always the problem - this is intensely "fashion" driven - as soon as a new model comes along the old ones can be abandoned very quickly.

Another obstacle can arise for the designer who DARES to be different.

Cheers,

Doc.

purview

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Hello Konrad,

yes and no. It was a comment to maybe rise the intention within you to ask "what went wrong?" Your post #23 allready has a solution to such minor problems that must not happen again. My case was a bit different. As a hobby-flyer and not beeing "Sherlock Holmes" it is sometimes difficult to find the "villain".

Actually there are considerations of a) not good enough secured, b) improper handling or c) shipping of damaged (or unsuitable) parts. This leads to the problem-solution of a) give it back, b) juridical answer, c) replacement or d) try to fix it. I did the last, because I am not interested in such war games due to the fact that the long box had no visible defect on the outside and was at the top (wingroot) and bottom (wingtip) not secured as you mentioned. Lots of foam was missing here

Half-life period would be an answer to life's learning experience :censored:
just be jokiing dudes and dudettes, scripture is it...

Will these Stregas shown up on the ISR race course next year?

Cheers Chris

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
This is always the problem - this is intensely "fashion" driven - as soon as a new model comes along the old ones can be abandoned very quickly.

Another obstacle can arise for the designer who DARES to be different.

Cheers,

Doc.
Ah, the fashion police.

That is why I didn't like RC Pattern. So much of it is subjective. Also I can't fly worth a crap!

I once ask a prominent pylon engine builder why he didn't make a pattern engine. He said that unlike the racing crowd, the pattern guys are more into following the leader. I thought that was funny in that in racing that is exactly what we are doing, chasing the leader! But what he meant was that in racing it is the objective measure of the stop watch that counts. Not who the community has anointed as the trend setter. He said he wasn't willing to join the RC Pattern circus that is marketing and sponsorship.

Chris,
It is possible but not likely as the idea of entering the ISR with a 3 meter ship wasn't even on my mind, until Doc mentioned it!

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Ah, the fashion police.

That is why I didn’t like RC Pattern. So much of it is subjective. Also I can’t fly worth a crap!

I once ask a prominent pylon engine builder why he didn’t make a pattern engine. He said that unlike the racing crowd, the pattern guys are more into following the leader. I thought that was funny in that in racing that is exactly what we are doing, chasing the leader! But what he meant was that in racing it is the objective measure of the stop watch that counts. Not who the community has anointed as the trend setter. He said he wasn’t willing to join the RC Pattern circus that is marketing and sponsorship.

Chris,
It is possible but not likely as the idea of entering the ISR with a 3 meter ship wasn’t even on my mind, until Doc mentioned it!

All the best,
Konrad

Aha! Join the infected!

Doc.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I was plannig to, but as a worker (great prizes!). I was also thinking of flying Sportsman (Novice) class with a 2 to 2.4 meter ship. Using a 3 meter ship seems a bit out of keeping with the spirit of the sportsman class. Well for me as I have a lot of experiance flying FAI F3D pylon. But I only have raced one MOM slope race.

Now if you are flying Sportsman....:rolleyes:

All the best,
Konrad

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Guys, How does RCRCM measure the wing area? Is it by the FAI method, in which the projected area of the stabilizer is added to come up with the "wing area"? I'm looking at the structure and can't see how it will hold up at the max FAI limit of 75g/dm. At 56.3dm x 75 I get 4.2 kg! Assuming a finished weight of 2.3 kg that means I need to allow for almost 2kg of ballast!

That looks like it is driving me to need Tungsten ballast slugs and 5.6 of them!

Again I don't see the RCRCM F3F Strega holding up to these loads and stresses!

Last edited:

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Guys, How does RCRCM measure the wing area? Is it by the FAI method, in which the projected area of the stabilizer is added to come up with the "wing area"? I'm looking at the structure and can't see how it will hold up at the max FAI limit of 75g/dm. At 56.3dm x 75 I get 4.2 kg! Assuming a finished weight of 2.3 kg that means I need to allow for almost 2kg of ballast!

That looks like it is driving me to need Tungsten ballast slugs and 5.6 of them!

Again I don't see the RCRCM F3F Strega holding up to these loads and stresses!

I did it by FAI method Konrad.

But as you say, I would not do two things:

1. Winch it.
  2. Load it up anywhere near FAI 75g/Dm2.

It might not handle either of those, and I'd be reluctant to race it in all but the lightest conditions, but for mild slope aerobatics and general stooging around it should be OK.

The spar is not up to scratch and its a token really just to hold the wing skins apart.

Actually this was the model that finally signed my divorce with RCRCM. First they modified my drawing and gave the model incidence because: "After all everyone knows that a model plane cannot fly without a built in angle of attack..." Then they proceeded to cut most of the specified material layups - - especially for the spar, because: "If it breaks the user will soon buy a another model..."

Groan.

Water under the bridge now, but even at a serious discount I still wonder if the RCRCM stuff is worth the money.

Cheers,

Doc.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I did it by FAI method Konrad.

Water under the bridge now, but even at a serious discount I still wonder if the RCRCM stuff is worth the money.

Cheers,

Doc.
That last statement has become abundantly clear! I think both you and Wayne said "I" wouldn't be happy with the RCRCM product. Others have said if forced to buy an RCRCM product make sure it is the carbon layup. And then get a great price and hope it isn't a Monday or Friday layup!

Even at $535 delivered my Yellow & Black Strega one is total junk. The White and Red Strega one might be workable as a sport ship. (Note these are 2010 and 2011 builds).

Well I guess I'm back to Aloft Hobbies for the large lead ballast system (trying to keep the weight down). I'll save the tungsten for a more appropriate ship.

You might not know this but I was at Aloft looking for a 60" replacement after a mid-air with Vance at the last MoM. Wayne didn't have anything suitable.

Other than the Sunbird there really isn't anything suitable for the MoM format. And then the Sunbird can only be a carbon lay up. With shipping that brings the cost to $435 for an RCRCM 60". For another 25% one can actually get a nice 60" But this really is a bit steep for a MoM ship. I think I'll need to wear a Groucho Marx disguise every time I bring out an RCRCM product!

What to do? I'm thinking of getting a few Spins and glassing the heck out of the wings. I'm thinking the idea is to be set up like we were flying FAI F2D combat. Lots of expendable ships!

Last edited:

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
That last statement has become abundantly clear! I think both you and Wayne said "I" wouldn't be happy with the RCRCM product. Others have said if forced to buy an RCRCM product make sure it is the carbon layup. And then get a great price and hope it isn't a Monday or Friday layup!

Even at $535 delivered my Yellow & Black Strega one is total junk. The White and Red Strega one might be workable as a sport ship. (Note these are 2010 and 2011 builds).

Well I guess I'm back to Aloft Hobbies for the large lead ballast system (trying to keep the weight down). I'll save the tungsten for a more appropriate ship.

You might not know this but I was at Aloft looking for a 60" replacement after a mid-air with Vance at the last MoM. Wayne didn't have anything suitable. Other than the Sunbird there really isn't anything suitable for the MoM format. And then the Sunbird can only be a carbon lay up. With shipping that brings the cost to $435 for an RCRCM 60". For another 25% one can actually get a nice 60" But this really is a bit steep for a MoM ship. I think I'll need to wear a Groucho Marx disguise every time I bring out an RCRCM product!

What to do? I'm thinking of getting a few Spins and glassing the heck out of the wings. I'm thinking the idea is to be set up like we were flying FAI F2D combat. Lots of expendable ships!

There might be a god reason why Bob has had the planes for 8 and 9 years...

Doc.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Now you tell me! But yes I think so.

I know, I know, you tried to warn me. I wasn't expecting Eastern European quality, but really this!!

If anybody is reading this I have a time machine in that I'm dealing with RCRCM products made 9 years ago. I can only hope (I have no proof) that as the company matured their products also improved. I know this is hope's triumph over experience.

purview

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I tried FAI limit on a similar 3M ship and can give the following advise:

the first times with high wind Speeds round28msec and full ballast I only noticed small bending at wing dihedral. therefore difficult to say if it was joiner and/or wings. So the plane can take this load under normal flying.
now rules have changed and after some crashes and repairs and lots of flying and setupadvices I will not fly FAI Limit with wind Speeds above 25msec anymore because now the bending is quiet amazing and I try to avoid such high g loads as I have to protect my plane for some more flying sessions. The plane has now 3 years with lying in sun, lying in the car and falling down and so on and the dynamic dihedral on 75g/dm2 with current turns isnt enjoyable so i do not know ehat can happen and i do not want to find out so I will now never try to fly max FAI on this plane

On rough landings with full ballast and rotations due to Control Errors, bushes, stones or other objects the top and bottom wing skins can seperate and bean uneasy when flying with much ballast on alpine slopes. Most of the landing misshaps can be cured with CA, sometimes it needed to be well thought of how to fix it in a given time.

I also have to say that I really enjoy rcrcm planes because for me it was a step forward. from foam balsa wings and gfk fuselage to cfk. the factory policy i only know out of some rc threads and can nothing to say about that. The problem is that I had some landings were I thought something must happened and it didnt and some not so bad landings on later I found some damages that amazed me. Objects are quiet amazing when they they move and meet other things

No regrets of buying an rcrcm plane. But I am not the guy who tries to reach the max height and dive steep to do a nice tight loop, I am not interrested in such a guts study

enjoy your plane Konrad and tell what everything can happen and how to fix it. i believe when doing nine years the same Job done you must get better if not management or working procedures are a fail

cheers chris

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Similare 3 meter, which ones? Where these RCRCM kits?

Agreed not all ships perform best at the max FAI weight. And most are not designed to perform their best at max weight. The FAI governing body set the limit as a safety feature. Now as pilots we must select the ballast which best suits the flying conditions. Now on good slopes the higher the wind speed the more ballast I use. A properly designed F3F ship (any racer) will be able to perform in max conditions, be this wind speeds or mass. It is up to us the pilot to make these adjustments.

RCRCM advertises these as F3F ships and as such they HAD better preform as F3F ships. Otherwise they are just 3 meter sport ships.

My two Stregas have many, many manufacturing flaws. That result is the wing not keeping their shape (showing far too much of their internal structure). It is the ability of a properly molded ship to hold its wing shape (airfoil) that makes a modlie a moldie. Otherwise it really is little or no better than a classic bagged foam core wing. Most of these flaws I attribute to the management not the technician doing the lay up. It is my experience that the workers try to do the best possible with the tools that management provides.

Most management, Chinese or American, are focused on the bottom line not product improvements unless it impacts the bottom line. I post what I post in hope that it helps inform the buying public. It is hoped that an informed public will drive improvements. That is they (we) can tell quality from junk. If we say to RCRCM we won't buy XXX unless it has these improvements there is no reason fro RCRCM to make these improvements. I hope my posts will lead to a direct impact on the bottom line. Positive for those that make a quality product and practice continual product improvements. And I hope I have a negative effect for those management teams that just try to get by with spending the absolute minimum on quality.

I knew full well what I was getting with the RCRCM Stregas. The Red and White one I might be able to rework into an adequate sport ship. The other one really is junk! I'm looking forward to seeing how close I can get this poor product to fly as a beater plane to test for lift. On the face of it one would think that $535 shipped and with taxes paid that the RCRCM Stregas would have been a good deal. I'm here to say I didn't get what I paid for. For about the same cost my 2.4m Sanda Mach 2 is a far better airframe and value than ether RCRCM Strega for about the same price. Bigger doesn't mean better.

Yep you might have seen my repairs of 60" moldies here.

I mention that my RCRCM kit are 8 to 9 years old just in case there have been major quality improvements. But based of my talks with the guys on the slope and from what I've seen not much has changed.

Now I have to be honest In that I'm looking at the RCRCM Sunbird as my 60" MoM ship because of the carnage in the class. But I'm really fighting with my conscience with that idea.

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Despite everything that RCRCM has done Konrad = they still fly pretty well.

Pot luck on the construction though.

Doc J

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Despite everything that RCRCM has done Konrad = they still fly pretty well.

Pot luck on the construction though.

Doc J
Maybe, I hope so!

Now at the 2019 ISR I was crying to anyone that would listen about how awful the RCRCM products were/are.

This caught the ear of Kyle Pruett as he was flying a Strega. We exchanged some ideas how to address some of the short coming with the RCRCM products.

One of the things that has sucked the enthusiasm out of me for finishing my Stega’s is that the trailing edge of the wing at the hinge line has curled up as the resin has shrunk over the years. (My 20 year old FVK models haven’t done this).

The idea was to push down this flap (wing skin) using the LE of the aileron wiper. And then come back with an iron to heat set this flap (wing skin) in the downward position.

Well, It worked like a charm! I no longer have that spoiler flap just ahead of the hinge line. While the repair isn’t perfect there are some optical issue. I’m actually happy enough to continue with the assembly of my Stregas'

Note, that if one did not put the TE under the LE wiper one could not preload the TE. I also used a wet paper towel under an iron set at 50°C as I ran it back and forth to "heat set" the epoxy (I hope) that was pulling the TE up, acting like a spoiler. This wet towel insured I didn’t overheat the layup causing more damage.

All the best,
Konrad

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
It took me a while to find this photo. I had forgotten to take a before photo earlier this morning.
It actually looked and felt a lot worse than this photo would indicate.