What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skooter (The original Slow Stick)

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
With all the hype about the GWS slow stick coming back I though that a look at the inspiration for these might be interesting.

It is thought that the Skooter by Aero Craft Ltd. was the templet used to by GWS for the great Slow Stick.

I’ve been flying one for almost 2 decades, and have to say it has been fun, in fact it is what I call stupid fun.

Unlike the GWS Slow Stick the Skooter is a classic balsa and film (synthetic tissue) covered model. This make her a bit more delicate than the Slow Sick but easier to repair using standard modeling practices.

Mine came from Hobby Lobby around 2000. As I have 2 kits I’m sure I bought these when where on close out. If I have anything it usually is obsolete when I purchased it. I also buy two, one for spare parts. These kits are in keeping with my trend.

Hobby Lobby sold these with a power package consisting of a Speed 280 and a 4:1 gearbox, a Jeti ESC JES 050, and 7 cell 250 mAh battery.

I love my Skooter but I think the GWS's take on the idea is more practical (durable) as a trainer. Some folks have claimed that the Slow Stick was a rip off of this model. I don't think so as the construction method are totally different. Yes, that are aimed at the same market segment and look an awful lot a like. But in practice they are very different.

Mine has gone through a lot of experimentation. I think my radio and power system are as follows; the motor is an IPS dual with a deep gear "E" ratio maybe over 10.7:1. These are using 180 sized motor with a total amp draw of less than 4 amps. (These 180 motors are limited to less than 2 amps each) The prop is a GWS 12x8. I'm using the same ESC as supplied by Hobby Lobby. But the batteries are now 2 cell 900 mAh. The servos are dated Cirrus CS4.4 soldered to a Lemon (yes that is the band name) 2.4 gHz RX.

All the best,
Konrad

P.S.
Over the years I've worn out 3 maybe 4 brushed power system on this model.

Last edited: