What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S6R and S8R configuration questions and concerns

joefly

User
Reaction score
I'm trying to calibrate a S8R receiver using the Lua script on my 12S. Receiver is bound to the model. When I execute, the receiver is placed in the level position. I hit enter and the receiver light blinks between green and yellow. The next step has the receiver position with the pins in the vertical position. I hit enter. The yellow light is on solid and the picture on the transmitter screen remains on. Nothing happens after I hit enter.
I then decided to try the calibration with my QX7. Worked great. Went through the entire calibration to the end.
I then tried it on X10 with the same results as on the 12S.
Am I missing something?

Farrider

New User
Reaction score
Owners of X10 running FrSky OS will find a menu item under SYS.....SXR config. Once the rx is bound to the tx it will be interrogated and its setup will be displayed on the Tx screen. The settings can be altered and written to the Rx. Not sure how comprehensive it is as I have little experience with the SXR.

I had no problem setting up s6r with Opentx 2.2 with lua script in QX7. I also setting an s6r up on my Horus X10 and have everything working except I can't figure out how to set up a gain knob on channel 9 in Frsky OS. Everything else works identical to Opentx 2.2.

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for why I cannot activate self check mode on S6R or S8R in any firmware by toggling ch 12 3 times since they came out with firmware with simple mode

Reaction score
Never mind... at some point in the upgrades the throttle had to be at -100.... I was working in a config I set up to be a controller for real flite... the channels are all goofed around on it

Motocrossman24

New User
Reaction score
Hi guys, is it possible to run a model that has flaps and gear? I’m not noticing them listed on the pin outs and want to make sure that I’ll be able to do it with this rx...will be using a qx7 with the s6r, both my aileron and flaps are on a y cable, so I only need one channel for each

Too Many Toys

New User
Reaction score
If you select [Tick] AUX1 and AUX2 in the Config this will disengage Ail2 and Ele2 from any Auto Function
and they simply become Ch5 and Ch6 which are User defined as anything you like.

Cattlebaron

New User
Reaction score
New to this forum and hope to learn rather than reinvent the wheel. Had a problem with calibrating the S6R using the Lua Script was rudely told on an other forum to use the STK tool but it took some time to figure out how to use it on an iMac, so if someone is interested I am more than willing help. I use the Lua Script on my X9D (openTX 2.2.1) to configure and tune the S6R which means I can so so at the flying field. I hope someone can give some answers to offset parameters to better tune the S6R, I have used the Attitude offset with a very good result. So far I have fitted 3 flying wings and one conventional plane with great success.

Dennis

New User
Reaction score
Hi Guy's
Question for you S6R experts i have just installed my first S series receiver in a plane and finally got it working as in when i move the plane the surfaces deflect my TX is the horus X10 and i can monitor the axis's on the screen so when i move the plane i can see the numbers change for aileron and same for elevator but nothing for rudder i turned the gain all the way up to make sure i was not missing it move question is have i missed something in the gyro gain setup as this is my first time using this type receiver or is this just a bad unit.

Thanks
Dennis

dalerc

New User
Reaction score
Hi Guy's
Question for you S6R experts i have just installed my first S series receiver in a plane and finally got it working as in when i move the plane the surfaces deflect my TX is the horus X10 and i can monitor the axis's on the screen so when i move the plane i can see the numbers change for aileron and same for elevator but nothing for rudder i turned the gain all the way up to make sure i was not missing it move question is have i missed something in the gyro gain setup as this is my first time using this type receiver or is this just a bad unit.

Thanks
Dennis
Have done the self check yet?

Mozella

New User
Reaction score
I've successfully configured several S6R and one S8r receivers. The first one took an entire weekend and the one I did yesterday took only about 20 minutes, so I am still able to learn.

The stability, auto level, and panic modes work great. I've even figured out how to do things with the Lua script such as tweaking the Aileron gain to make the self level reaction on one of my planes less violent.

But none of my models will fly exactly straight and level in auto level mode. Conventionl trim won't correct the out of trim condition except in yaw. I experimented with one model which flew a little bit nose down and slightly right wing down with auto level on. I though by putting the model on a bench and tilting it slightly to the left and slightly nose up, I could perform a self check and that would bias the auto level mode so that the plane would fly perfectly. In other words, I was trying to trick the S8R into thinking "down" was in a slightly different direction. No such luck. The equipment refused to be fooled and the plane still flew slightly out of trim.

Then I discovered that in addition to stabilization gain adjustments, the Lua script has adjustments for autolevel Ele and autolevel Ail. I'm optimistic that this is what I need to adjust to trim out what the receiver thinks is perfectly level flight. But the adjustments are labeled "offset".

So my question is, which way to go with the offset adjustment and how much to try. I'm guessing a positive offset will trim the auto-level more nose up, but that is STRICTLY a guess. And how much offset should I try the first time I test?.........1?.......10? ......... more?

How about auto-level offset for Ail? Which way will trim the aircraft right wing down?

Or, I suppose my assumption about what auto-level Ail offset does is completely off base.

Does anyone have actual experience with tweaking auto level using the Ail and Ele offset adjustment or is everyone just happy with the factory defaults as long as the system will help reduce pilot error crashes.

Too Many Toys

New User
Reaction score
Denis, as said do the self check correctly, including the Stick calibration as this may prevent one or more surfaces
from working at all or only half work.
Also if in Auto Level Mode the Rudder is not used, ALM only requires Ail and Ele to work.
But if in Stability Mode the Rudder is required and should work. Stab needs a lot more (Ch9) gain than ALM usually.

Mozella

New User
Reaction score
I partially answred my own question about auto-level offset in the SxR.Lua script. It turns out that the offset range for self level Elv and Ail only goes from -20 to +20. By adjusting the offset and watching the control surfaces carefully I could determine that Plus Ele makes the nose go up and plus Ail makes the right wing go down. It was also clear that the movement of the control surfaces was VERY small. I didn't measure it, but after running the normal trim to the normal trim limits, I would estimate that the SxR.Lua script self level offset adjustment is only about 1/10th as powerful as normal trim. I was worried that the adjustment might get me into trouble if I went too far, but it appears to be a very subtle trim correction which I am eager to try out tomorrow, weather permitting.

Too Many Toys

New User
Reaction score
Mozella, if you do the Self Check correctly (Wings level, slightly Nose Up attitude and Stick calibration)
Then the plane will fly exactly that way in ALM, it can only fly that way, and no other way.
Unless you didn't complete the Self Check correctly, have one surface backwards or something or selected
the wrong mode.
If done correctly beforehand the Auto Level Mode is basically WYSIWYG (exactly as set during Self Check)
Even if you tied a brick to the Tail, ALM would try to level the plane as you set it up during the SC.

Added: I have never had the need to use offsets in the SXR config for many different plane types.
If the plane dives slightly in ALM, simply raise the nose a tad (repeat the Self Check) until it's OK.

Last edited:

Dennis

New User
Reaction score
Dalerc
Yes i have performed the SC the unit ran all the control surfaces and then i performed the stick movement to the extremes i finally got the switches working along with a knob control for gain at least this is what i am seeing on my TX screen in monitor mode on the screen i can read what mode the unit is in what mode should it show , so if i understand correctly the unit may be in a different mode and not using rudder how dose a 3 axis gyro not use rudder still trying to figure all this out first time user and all thanks guy's for the help.

Dennis

dalerc

New User
Reaction score
Dalerc
Yes i have performed the SC the unit ran all the control surfaces and then i performed the stick movement to the extremes i finally got the switches working along with a knob control for gain at least this is what i am seeing on my TX screen in monitor mode on the screen i can read what mode the unit is in what mode should it show , so if i understand correctly the unit may be in a different mode and not using rudder how dose a 3 axis gyro not use rudder still trying to figure all this out first time user and all thanks guy's for the help.

Dennis
Set the stabilization for knife edge then you'll know if the rudder is working

Too Many Toys

New User
Reaction score
Forget about what you think you know and focus.
For ALM the Rudder is not required.
For all other modes the Rudder is required and used by the SXR.
If you were in Quick Mode and thought you were in Standard Mode, or Std v Quick, then your switches
would be giving you totally different modes than expected.
Hint, Ch 11 is ignored if in Quick mode. Therefore no KE or Hover.

Too Many Toys

New User
Reaction score
Don't assume anything about the SXR.
Don't compare it to other similar Stabilizing, Gyro or Self Leveling devices or you will probably be wrong.
The SXR does it's own thing and in it's own way, though the result may appear similar or resemble other devices.

If you set up the SXR exactly as described in the FrSky manual it will work flawlessly.
The defaults are usually fine for most plane types, offsets are there but I have never had the need to use them as yet.

Dennis

New User
Reaction score
Too many toy's
I am using my TX X10 running FROS to set up the SXR receivers not the STK tool so this is why i have questions regarding the setup and what is normal operation as a first time user of these receivers it's a learning curve thanks to you and other s for the help

Too Many Toys

New User
Reaction score
If you are having trouble with the LUA config, try moving the Tx a little further away from the Rx.
When you are too close < 0.5m you may get signal swamping and things may not work well or lock up.
Don't rush things with LUA or PC, STK, even on a PC it can take up to 15 Sec to read/write and populate
all of the little boxes/fields with updated data.
If in Quick Mode and the Throttle is raised slightly the Self Check won't start, a safety feature they added.

Dennis

New User
Reaction score
I have been getting self check by depressing the receiver button can't get it to work from the TX