What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RX6R and RB-20 power problem

Heli_3d

New User
Reaction score
Greetings,

I recently purchased a pair of new RX6R receivers, and an RB-20. After the tedious process of soldering the Smart Port/S-Bus connector to the board (whew!), I tested each RX6R receiver individually, and all works as expected. I also tested the RB-20 with a pair of known-to-be-good X8R receivers, and all works as expected there, too.

The problem I'm facing is when either (or both) RX6R is connected to the RB-20 using the provided cable harness, the RX6R doesn't seem to power up when power is applied to the RB-20. (the provided RX6R harness has a normal 3-pin connector for the Smart Port, and a single pin, "signal only" connector for the S-Bus. These were connected from the RX6R to the Smart Port and S-Bus ports on the RB-20.) I then tried connecting a receiver battery directly to the RX6R, and all servo signals and telemetry are active via the RB-20, but when I rely on power "pass through" from the RB-20, the RX6R simply won't power up.

Summarizing:
  • RX6R standalone - works (servos connected to receiver function normally)
  • X8R standalone - works (servos connected to receiver function normally)
  • RB-20 (power via MPX connector) + X8R (power from RB-20 via S-Bus cable) - works (servos connected to RB-20 function normally)
  • RB-20 (power via MPX connector) + RX6R (power from RB-20 via Smart Port cable) - receiver fails to power up
  • RB-20 (power via MPX connector) + RX6R (power via direct connection to battery) - works (servos connected to RB-20 function normally)

Does receiver power HAVE to come via the S-Bus connector, and not the Smart Port?

FYI, the RX6R is still on the initial software release, so there are no firmware updates to apply.

Any ideas?
Steve

Last edited:

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I have not played with the RX6R that much, but I suspect you can apply power from the RB20 via a male to male connector on an open channel on the RB20, or add in a Y connector if all channels are in use.

Heli_3d

New User
Reaction score
Thanks Wayne. That DOES work, and gives me a way forward. Still, I'm curious if the Smart Port connector ought to provide power to the RX6R from the RB-20, or not.

I appreciate the feedback.

Steve

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Sbus can supply power, but don't think the Sport is designed to do that. I honestly have not looked at the layout or tested that. I do know you want to be careful of loads when powering via Sbus port, it is not designed to carry many amps.