What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redundant setup for giant scale plane using X8R Rx's

LazyB

New User
Reaction score
Hello all,
I need some help figuring out how to proceed now that I have seemingly stumbled upon the possibility that there was a problem with the X8R receivers and RF interference evident by the release of the new firmware and the RX8R Pro (see their literature).

With that being said here is where I am at. I have 2 gas powered RC airplanes with 1 X8R in each plane, plus I have some extra Rx's laying around the shop too. I am now trying to figure out my best option as to how to add redundancy to these planes.
1. do I go ahead and purchase 2 of the RX8R Pro receivers only and connect them via S-Bus to one of my X8R's (as a satellite Rx) in each plane?
2. do I go ahead and purchase 2 of the Redundancy Bus-10's only and connect them to two of my X8R's in each plane?

I am also needing to know if I need to upgrade the firmware on all my X8R's just to make certain they are current? Is there a way to check what is on them now? I think I purchased them after the release of the last update. Would that mean that they then have the latest firmware on them from the factory? Would I need to upgrade my Taranis Plus to the latest version of Open Tx as well? I am currently running version 2.1.9

Any help is appreciated folks.

erieqc

New User
Reaction score
I can answer your last question. There is no way to know what firmware is on the receiver. As for just buying a new one you don't know how long it has been setting on the shelf. So you should update if you want then you know what firmware is on it.

LazyB

New User
Reaction score
I can answer your last question. There is no way to know what firmware is on the receiver. As for just buying a new one you don't know how long it has been setting on the shelf. So you should update if you want then you know what firmware is on it.

Thanks for your input. I did go ahead last night and updated ALL my X8R's with the last updated firmware. Here is a video I used on how to do it from Frsky. It was pretty simple once I saw an explanation.