What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Q7x person

mrmark50

New User
Reaction score
Hello all,
I ordered a Taranis Q 7x the other day and it will arrive Wed can't hardly wait.
For my birthday my cousin sent me a Horizon hobbybind and fly plane with Safe and Gps but no radio. After a lot of research I decided on Q 7x.
Chris at Aloft said in an e-mail said with the right module this would work. The planes reciever says it is a Spektrum. Or can I replace the reciever with a Frsky reciever?
I also look forward to using the Q 7x with the Clearview flight simulator or the FPV Freerider quadcopter simulator, is there a lot to getting these to work together?
Thank for the time.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are in the USA.
Did Chris (Aloft Hobbies) mention an FCC legal plug in module that uses the DSMX protocals, for the Horizon Hobbies products?

If you are thinking of using the Hobby King orange module,please think again. I've had an 80% failure rate with these, only one out of five works. And then this one is illegal to use in the USA.

The FrSky Q7 is a great radio and Frsky has a huge selection of receivers for it. I just don't see the value of crippling the radio with DSMX.

All the best,
Konrad

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Well, to fly his new plane he will need some sort of Spektrum module. We understand this. Sadly, we are not a Horizon Hobbies Dealer as most everyone else is, so check with your local hobby shop, or Horizon and you should be able to find the DM9 module. I'm pretty sure that will do the trick for you. Once you are ready for your next plane, I think we will all suggest you use a FrSky receiver so you can really use your new radio and its features to the fullest.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/SPMMSJ...pfAcE-F212oa17O4G0JttoRmMjNO7vQEaAstOEALw_wcB

There are other knocks of this item out there from China. They are not FCC legal, so we do not offer them. Lots of people do use them though..

mrmark50

New User
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are in the USA.
Did Chris (Aloft Hobbies) mention an FCC legal plug in module that uses the DSMX protocals, for the Horizon Hobbies products?

If you are thinking of using the Hobby King orange module,please think again. I've had an 80% failure rate with these, only one out of five works. And then this one is illegal to use in the USA.

The FrSky Q7 is a great radio and Frsky has a huge selection of receivers for it. I just don't see the value of crippling the radio with DSMX.

All the best,
Konrad
Thank you I have a lot to learn but looking forward to it.

mrmark50

New User
Reaction score
Well, to fly his new plane he will need some sort of Spektrum module. We understand this. Sadly, we are not a Horizon Hobbies Dealer as most everyone else is, so check with your local hobby shop, or Horizon and you should be able to find the DM9 module. I'm pretty sure that will do the trick for you. Once you are ready for your next plane, I think we will all suggest you use a FrSky receiver so you can really use your new radio and its features to the fullest.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/SPMMSJ...pfAcE-F212oa17O4G0JttoRmMjNO7vQEaAstOEALw_wcB

There are other knocks of this item out there from China. They are not FCC legal, so we do not offer them. Lots of people do use them though..
Thank you very kindly.
What does not FCC legal pertain too?

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
The FCC controls the transmission of RF radiation through the "Type Certification" of the RF module. It is done to ensure that our transmitters don't splatter, pollute, other RF bands. We are allocated a very small part of the RF spectrum in which to transmit radio commands. Hobby King failed to get their RF modules certified that they don't pollute the RF spectrum. This is because they (HK) knew that the Module was over powered and that the side bands (splatter) would fail the certification test.

The Horizon Hobbies Spektrum DSM2 module Wayne linked to is legal as it has an FCC type certification.

Big deal you say. Well if you are shown to have interfered with the communication of a life critical service or cause some injury with your RF controlled device. And the lawyers can show you had an illegal transmitter. You bet you will be working that off for a good part of your life expectancy to cover the fine and time.

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Another issue that I recently heard about was the AMA not covering accidents when non-fcc legal gear was used. That is a bit more realistic.

PaulG

User
Reaction score
I am another proponent for using the FrSky receivers. Can i ask what plane he sent you? Some of the cheaper Horizon GPS units are horrible and will actually cause you to lose control of the plane or have it fly away.

If you go to RCGroups.com and search the forums for your model plane you will be amazed at how much info and advise you will be able to find.

mrmark50

New User
Reaction score
I am another proponent for using the FrSky receivers. Can i ask what plane he sent you? Some of the cheaper Horizon GPS units are horrible and will actually cause you to lose control of the plane or have it fly away.

If you go to RCGroups.com and search the forums for your model plane you will be amazed at how much info and advise you will be able to find.

The plane is a hobbyzone Carbon cub with safe.

PaulG

User
Reaction score
Those are nice planes and a lot of people use those as trainers. Check out RCGroups.com and you will find tons of info and advise! Also check out Painless 360 on you tube and search for the irange 4 in one TX module.

mrmark50

New User
Reaction score
Those are nice planes and a lot of people use those as trainers. Check out RCGroups.com and you will find tons of info and advise! Also check out Painless 360 on you tube and search for the irange 4 in one TX module.
Thank you

RCArk

New User
Reaction score
Just logged in to this forum.
I have been using Frsky receivers and transmitter modules on JR9303 radio for several years.
Recently I purchased Qx7 transmitter and SR6 receivers. Using a profile foame I experimented with setting up the stabilizing receiver to smooth out my 3d flying. Generally I have been satisfied and found the stabilizing effect useful when tuned down to a reasonable level so it does not interfere with my 3d (sport) flying. Last month I finished a large electric 3D plane (60" span, 6.5lb). I decided to go with Frsky servos D25sa, D50sa, B17xx, SR6 receiver and my Qx7.
My concern started with inconsistent turn on sequence. Some times the receiver takes a while to sink in with the transmitter, it takes 20 - 30 seconds to witness solid control. Often there is significant chatter on different channels. Yesterday I did not see the rudder move at all. Turned off and back on both receiver and transmitter several times. Decided to pack it in. 30 min later back at home all is working fine again.
I will read this forum and try to upgrade firmware possibly turn off telemetry (don't use it right now).
I plan to fly a 6S, 70mm jet using SR8 in the spring. Need to become more confident.

I would welcome any comments to build my trust in this system. Direct me to the correct posts.
Thanks in advance, ACark

Attachments

• IMG_20181210_1556326.jpg
    IMG_20181210_1556326.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 115

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Make sure your power supply (BEC or receiver battery) is solid and up to the task! Many BEC are not suitable for 6S batteries.

Is this what you have?
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-s6r.html

The S6R (all the stabilized Rx’s) are a bit of a pain. Its a painfully long thread!
https://forum.alofthobbies.com/inde...-s8r-configuration-questions-and-concerns.10/

I’d look for a firmware incompatibility issue. But as I hate bits and bites I’d send it in, both the rx and tx. Partial binds (connectivity issues) should not be tolerated. Something is amiss.

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:

RCArk

New User
Reaction score
Thanks,
Yes this is the receiver I have. I have gained a little experience with it. It is now my fourth plane with this receiver. Got the stabilization figured out and self check. Would like to have it default to auto level, power off, on loss of signal, so far did not get that working.

The BEC is on CC talon 90, with an upgraded heavy wire lead. I think this is solid.

The outdoor temperature was only 32F, freezing point. I have put a lot of time flying in winter. Not with Frsky, so confidence is low. Plan to do some static cold weather tests.

My experience with Frsky servos is the first on this plane. I am a little worried with the SBUS capable servos being used in a standard configuration. That is each servo plugged in own channel. I did not think this should be a problem. I am using Frsky servos because I liked the speed, size and price.

Last the q7 transmitter in cold weather?

Please stay in touch,
Ark

Attachments

• IMG_20181026_0718047.jpg
    IMG_20181026_0718047.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 167

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
The Talon has a good BEC by design, so that shouldn't be the issue. (Can't say I trust 20amps through one Jr connector).

Do you have a NiMh battery you could use to drive the radio as a test before sending the system back? ( I still think it is a power supply issue, but it could be a firmware issue) Do you have access to an oscilloscope to measure transient voltage drops (ripples and or noise)?

Using S.Bus servos in a PWM application is fine. Some folks have issues with the FrSky servo claiming that the gear lash is a bit too high for the class of servo.

But to the root of your problem I can't really offer any more help.

All the best,
Konrad.

Last edited:

RCArk

New User
Reaction score
Thanks for your update. I will try the independent receiver supply battery on future flights.

Since I juts got the hull effect gimbals in I upgraded my Q7. I also calibrated the sticks. I don't believe the stock gimbals were the issue.

Several static tests at home did not repeat the loss of Rudder channel control.
I gathered enough courage last Sunday and had four successful flights with same plane and transmitter.
There was no problem this time.

Thanks,
Ark