What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issue with STK Programmer Tool.

iflylilplanes

Strong User
Reaction score
I have the STK programmer tool, works perfectly in programming the S6R receivers, but, when set to update, it will not recognise to the COM port, my PC is running Windows 8.1, has no problem with Companion talking to the Taranis. I have downloaded the relevant driver for the STK which works in programming but not updating, and to test if it is the STK, I borrowed a second STK from a club mate and it too will not connect when updating.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

sande005

Active User
Reaction score
Likely an issue with how Windows decides to assign COM ports to devices. Try this:

Plug in the STK
Open Control Panel
Open Device Manager
Scroll down to Ports (COM and LPT)
Look for the entry "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge"
Double click on the "Silicon Labs"
Click on the "Port Settings" tab
Click on the "Advanced..." box
Pick either COM 1 or COM 2 for the STK.

If you have a device already using a port the STK needs, easiest is to go to that device in the menu, and reassign it to another port. Note: This might stop that device from working! After using the STK, check and see. If all is fine, you're done. Some devices have their own setup where you can define the port, so go there, and tell it to use the new port you assigned it to.

If not possible, or just too much to be bothered with, unplug the STK and then put the non-working device back on the COM port it originally had.

iflylilplanes

Strong User
Reaction score
I did a little testing last night and found that the USB port I use most of the time is faulty, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, the laptop is 7 years old. I swapped to the port on the other side, and I flashed 4 different X type receivers one after the other. When I programmed the S6R's the STK must have been in just the right position in the port to stay connected while I did the calibrations and settings. I need a new PC.

Thanks anyway for the advise, I will store it for future use if needed.

PS, I wonder if some of the problems others have are due the faulty intermittent USB ports.

ninod

New User
Reaction score
Folks,

I recently had an issue with my windows 10 OS not recognizing my STK tool and the CP210x USB to UBART did not show up in the Device hardware. I'm using a MAC Book pro with Windows loaded as a Bootcamp drive. No matter what I did I couldn't get Windows to see the STK USB stick once I plugged it into my laptop.

After many hours of troubleshooting, I found that the Apple USB to USB-c cable was the problem. I bought another adapter from Amazon install it and it works perfectly. I threw out the apple adapters.