What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frsky Receivers

Dennis

New User
Reaction score
Just received 2 new receivers from aloft a D8R-11 plus and a X8r along with a X10 transmitter do they all need updating of the firmware
Thanks

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
If you have the modern X10 why go backward with the D8R II plus?

I've rarely updated the Rx Firmware. But then again I'm a guy that hates to move bits and bites around!
I did update a set of X8R RX but noticed no difference in the performance. So no, I don't think you need to update the firmware. But as with all things software read the RTF file to see if the update is applicable to your situation.

I would upgrade the X10 with OpenTX and Compainion to the latest version.

P.S.
Are you using the D8R II plus with a DFT module in your Hitec TX?
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-dft-futaba-transmitter-telemetry-module.html

Last edited:

Dennis

New User
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply i am just going to leave well enough alone for now then, i am not going to install open TX at this time maybe in the future, as to the receivers being back word D8R II plus what do you mean ?
I have the DFT module and was using it in an older futaba radio worked just got tired of all the mix and match that's why i decided to go with the 10

Dennis

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Backward as in technology time line. The X series has the modern protocol. There really is nothing wrong with the D series just dated and lack the sensor selection of the X series. Also my understanding of D vs X series is sort of like the Spektrum DSM2 vs DSMX, both work but that later X series and DSMX have the modern protocols. Not that X series and DSMX are the same protocols.

So you are going to try the FS OS? I think this is the native operating system on the X10.

Last edited:

Dennis

New User
Reaction score
I am still getting used to the frsky product line i see what your saying regarding the X series and i will be purchasing them and any newer version's from here on out, yes i am going to go with the FS OS i see enough setting adjustments in it for my style of flying.

Scott Page

Very Strong User
Staff member
Reaction score
The only receivers that you might need to update the firmware right out of the box would be the S6R and S8R. The X series receivers are very stable. The D series are ... well... legacy.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Typically no need to do any firmware changes on FrSky gear unless it is a brand new product that released in the last few months or you are after a special feature that requires a firmware change. (pretty rare)

We usually will recommend you use the X series receivers with the FrSky transmitters as they will allow you to have the model memory locked to a given receiver. This is a nice safety feature. Also, tons of sensors and options for the X series. We do have some die hard folks that love the D series, so the last 2 versions are still available, but they sell pretty slowly now. They are best for folks running the older DJT, DFT and DHT modules.

I had completely re-vamped our receiver section of the website with all sorts of good data, but our site decided to eat it. Very upsetting. I need to do all of that work again.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I had completely re-vamped our receiver section of the website with all sorts of good data, but our site decided to eat it. Very upsetting. I need to do all of that work again.
Sorry to hear this! But it is good to know I'm not the only one that has issues with bits and bites.

I have to admit it took me a while to figure out what was what in the FrSky RX line. A statement stating that the "D" series is a legacy product might help others.

I still buy the D series for my Futaba Super Seven and Ace Micro Pro radios using the DFT and DHT modules. Now all my legacy JR radios use the modern XJT module and work well with the X series of RX.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Yeah, I have descriptions for each type and a bit about them and what modes they bind in, etc. I'll try and rewrite it all tomorrow. With the addition of the S, R, L12, etc it can get very confusing to say the least. I'd still like to build up a receiver chart again. It was a bit of the pain when FrSky only offered 6 receivers. Will be a more fun now. LOL

Peter

New User
Reaction score
Sorry to barge in here, but this is about receivers. I am new to FrSky, but have ordered the QX7 and have played around with OpenTx on my MacBook and I really like the software. However, I am confused about which X series receiver(s) would be the one to buy. As you see I am a biplane person and am getting into serious scale. Once again, sorry to divert the discussion.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Sorry, not sure how being a biplane scale person has any bearing on RX selection.

I assume you want a rugged RF link and enough options to operate scale features.
The RX8R pro should give you all you need. Lots of PWM channels, telemetry, redundancy capacity and a robust RF link. https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-rx8r-pro.html

All the best,
Konrad

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Exactly the receiver I was going to suggest for scale stuff, especially if you are going to run an engine with ignition.

But I typically will ask people what they are flying, it has a direct bearing on what receiver I will suggest.

-Wayne

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I meant that I don't understand what are the unique needs of a scale biplane, person or airship.

Is there any reason, other than $4, to get the non-pro version of the RX8R?

Peter

New User
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your prompt replies. Just the advice I was looking for. Thanks, Konrad for the link (cannot find that receiver on the receiver page - there is an RX6R, but no 8) Anyway, thanks for the link - it is added to my shopping cart. Much appreciated.
It's not that the biplane has any unique needs, but just to give an idea of where I am coming from - no high speed jets, or warbirds - that's all.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
With high speed high performance planes I'd be more concerned with the servo that the RF link. With a fine detailed scale model I would want the most rugged RF link possible, as my time is worth it. So your fine scale bipe is worth more than a foamy EDF jet! And as such I'd demand the best RF link.

Cleared my cache and I still see the 8's
https://alofthobbies.com/radio/frsky-telemetry-system/redundancy-receivers.html

I’m including a link to the manual to help give you a head start.
https://www.frsky-rc.com/wp-content/uploads/Downloads/Manual/RX8R PRO-Manual.pdf

All the best,
Konrad

Peter

New User
Reaction score
Once again, thanks Konrad. I was looking at the different receiver page, not the redundant page - yes, I see it there now. Thanks also for the manual link for the RX8R. Your help is much appreciated.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Yeah, it is starting to get messy on how we should list all of the receivers. We are always trying to keep the site navigation as clean as possible, but sometimes things need to be in more than one place.

Masterpiece

New User
Reaction score
If you have the modern X10 why go backward with the D8R II plus?

I've rarely updated the Rx Firmware. But then again I'm a guy that hates to move bits and bites around!
I did update a set of X8R RX but noticed no difference in the performance. So no, I don't think you need to update the firmware. But as with all things software read the RTF file to see if the update is applicable to your situation.

Couldn't agree more with you Konrad. Even though I have upgraded OpenTX firmware for the radio, I've found that too much fiddling around can cause issues with incompatibility if not careful.

If it works and isn't broken, then why try fixing it ;)

u2builder

Active User
Reaction score
I need a receiver for a 4 channel tiny park flyer. I was going to get an X4R but see they are out of stock. Is the RX4R suitable and will it bind with my Horus which is still on OTX 2.2.1? Is this receiver seen as a replacement for the X4R series, since it is lighter and seems to have more features, not that I need them for this tiny model.