What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frsky Receivers

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
That's why we are here, to help you (everybody) get the most from this hobby and their hobby dollar. Unlike other sites where the emphasis is placed on perpetuating myths and helping the sponsors sell inferior products.

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:

tb3349

New User
Reaction score
I am using a XM+ Rx as a satellite to my G-RX8 receiver. I went to FrSky and downloaded the XM+ firmware and see there are three different versions. I am looking for any guidance on which one to use? I am binding my G-Rx8 for 8 channels with telemetry if that makes any difference? Thanks

Reaction score
If you are in the US then ...

XM+FCC170313.frk: FCC MODE、full channels (ch1~ch16)

If you are in the EU using the EU LBT then...

XM+LBT170313.frk:LBT MODE、full channels (ch1~ch16)

The others send the RSSI value on either CH 8 or CH 16. That is useful for Flight Controllers and OSD via FPV generally for multirotors but not usually for a redundant receiver in a glider.

tb3349

New User
Reaction score
Thanks for that information. I am new to FrSky and its like drinking from a firehose.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
We all understand! Frsky really has is a great and powerful product line. It will take time to fully ingest its full potential. But like all great endeavors start with baby steps.

PoppyAnn

New User
Reaction score
The RX4R is the preferred RX!
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-rx4r.html

It has the more modern sensitivity (longer range) and has the added feature of allowing you to add a second RX should you want to add receiver redundancy.

I see no reason for Aloft to stock the X4R when this fine replacement is available.

Friends don't let friends fly nickel,
Konrad
Hi there, I just noticed your line "Friends don't let friends fly nickel" I have no idea what the "nickel" is for!!! Please teach this poor fool what it is for
Regards Poppy Ann.
The RX4R is the preferred RX!
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-rx4r.html

It has the more modern sensitivity (longer range) and has the added feature of allowing you to add a second RX should you want to add receiver redundancy.

I see no reason for Aloft to stock the X4R when this fine replacement is available.

Friends don't let friends fly nickel,
Konrad

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Hum, That was an inside joke. It got me banned from RCGroofs.

It all started when I was pushing electric flight way back in the 80's. Back then we used Sanyo NiCads (Nickel Cadmium) cells to drive our models. In the late 90's the lithium cell became available. Even at a discharge rate of 3C I thought that for most applications that we modelers would best be served by dumping our Nicads for Lithium (Lipo).

That "Friends don't let friends fly nickel" was my sigh off in the club's news letter.

Later I revised it to address the false and miss-leading advertising/marketing we saw with OS engines, in that they claimed that their ABN/ABL ringless aluminum pistons where ABC type*. When in fact they where are just second rate electroless nickel plated P&Ls.

* This was for performance and high performance 2 cycle engines.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with FrSky RX.

Last edited:

PoppyAnn

New User
Reaction score
Hum, That was an inside joke. It got me banned from RCGroofs.

It all started when I was pushing electric flight way back in the 80's. Back then we used Sanyo NiCads (Nickel Cadmium) cells to drive our models. In the late 90's the lithium cell became available. Even at a discharge rate of 3C I thought that for most applications that we modelers would best be served by dumping our Nicads for Lithium (Lipo).

That "Friends don't let friends fly nickel" was my sigh off in the club's news letter.

Later I revised it to address the false and miss-leading advertising/marketing we saw with OS engines, in that they claimed that their ABN/ABL ringless aluminum pistons where ABC type*. When in fact they where are just second rate electroless nickel plated P&Ls.

* This was for performance and high performance 2 cycle engines.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with FrSky RX.
Nothing to be sorry for now you have mentioned NiCad I know what you meant what I don't know is why my brain did not make the conection I think I am going senile with the amount of things I forget.
Thanks for replying Regards Poppy Ann.

HENNY

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I need a receiver for a 4 channel tiny park flyer. I was going to get an X4R but see they are out of stock. Is the RX4R suitable and will it bind with my Horus which is still on OTX 2.2.1? Is this receiver seen as a replacement for the X4R series, since it is lighter and seems to have more features, not that I need them for this tiny model.
Yes the RX4R is a later version of the X4R. It is capable of running the new FRsky ACCST D16 and ACCESS firmware. The RX6R is a 6 channel receiver and the same price if the RX4R is out of stock. OTX 2.2.1 is old but that should not matter. There is however the TX internal RF module firmware upgrade as well as flashing the receiver with newer firmware. The RF firmware is referred to as V2.1.0. and can be found on the FRsky web site. So don't confuse the OTX firmware with the RF module firmware the number as similar but refer to different parts of the radio. I guess your radio is an older model such as the X9D+ Let me have your detail and I will lead you thru the update process.