What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FrSKY R9M & R9MM combo - using as Redundant system

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Just set one receiver to model memory #1, and the other to a different model memory, #2. Now just swap from model 1 and 2 to test the redundancy. Make sure you put them both back to the same after testing.

This takes advantage of the model memory lock feature. :) The receiver will only listen to commands for the correct model memory.

Tim Callahan

New User
Reaction score
Konrad i'm having trouble understanding how that will work (more of my non tec brain) i already know the main receiver (GRX8) works because i can disconnect the RSXR and all is well. but if i disable the main GRX8 which the RSXR plugs into and gets its power and servo informatiom from there will be no way for the redundant (RSXR) to get power and the necessary servo info. unless all wirring stays, and selection of the model with only secondary rec selected it will still be able to draw the necessary info and power from thr GRX8 Forgive me if this sounds stupid.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Wayne's method of isolating the RXs is a programing trick done in the TX. Nothing is disconnected in the aircraft (RX side of things).

FrSky's data protocols have a bit that identifies not only the TX and RX but also the TX model memory location. This is what you are setting when you bind the RX to the TX.

So for testing you can use two model memories in the TX. Bind the main RX with the TX model selection being "X". Then in the TX select another model selection "Y" and then bind the redundant RX with the TX transmitting this new model memory.

To see if the main RX is working properly set the TX to model memory location "X" and do a range check. RX "Y" will not be working as it is looking for a valid data code with "Y" as the model location ID.

To range test the redundant RX change in theTX to model selection "Y". Now the main RX RF will not be active as it is looking for the data code with "X" as the as the model location ID. But now that the redundant RX is seeing the proper model location ID ("Y") it will send the servo data via the S.Bus harness to the PWM decoder in the main RX.

It is this ability of the main redundant capable RX to take in the S.Bus data that is key to this redundancy system.

Now you will want to rebind both RX's to the same TX model location after the test!

This testing method assumes that the bind was successful for both RXs after the testing.

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:

Tim Callahan

New User
Reaction score
Wow - thanks Konrad, i have another issue that will keep me away for a week or two but will get back to it as soom as i can.
Thanks
Tim