What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frsky 5db antenna in comparison to the standard 2db antenna

Masterpiece

New User
Reaction score
Hi
Just a quick question. I have an external XJT module in my X9D Taranis and i am curious if the 5db antenna would be a good addition to the module, in comparison to the one that comes with the module? Also what is the length of the 5db antenna, compared to the standard 2db antenna?

Cheers
Glen

Reaction score
Probably not. It depends what kind of flying you do. You may see some benefit if you fly FPV multi-rotors at low altitude around yourself. The higher gain should give you a bit more range close to the ground if you keep the TX antenna vertical. That is possibly hard to do on a module. You may have to point it downwards. However if you fly LOS, flight line style, the 5Db will be a detriment.

The reason is that a 3 Db omni directional antenna has a more spherical donut radiation pattern where the 5db omni has a more squashed donut shape. You trade range for directionality.

iflylilplanes

Strong User
Reaction score
I was wondering why there was little difference in range test between the 2db and the 5db, I fitted an SMA to my X9D when I hit myself with a quad and took the antenna off. Going to fit an original antenna back on soon, I seem to be having low RSSI issues since fitting the SMA antenna. I very rarely fly multi-rotor now, so the 5db is of no use to me.

Thanks for the explanation.