What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free 3d design software for Hobbiest - Fusion 360

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I had a discussion last week with my friend that likes to make little 3d parts using sketchup, for 3d printing. I asked him why he was using sketchup as i have loaded it up a few times over the years and find it very difficult to use. I told him that it seems like most people on YouTube are using Fusion 360, which led to some research on how much it is and finding out that its actually free for hobbyist and startups making less than $100k a year. Since it was free I sat down and decided to go thru a tutorial and see how it was. Turns out its not hard at all. I have linked the tutorial below where he takes you step by step thru recreated an electrical box. It was a pretty special moment to hold in my hand something that i had created just a couple hours before. FYI it works for most all 3d cnc machines. Milling, lathe, 3d printing etc.

Anyways, i figured if my friend who was into the hobby already didnt know about this than probably others dont as well.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp.../Do-I-qualify-for-free-use-of-Fusion-360.html

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
forgot to post the print of it

Attachments

• IMG_20180601_201241.jpg
    IMG_20180601_201241.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 151

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I'll see if Chris can log into the forums here. He is our resident 3D printer guy. He has been playing with Fushion 360 also. has some very nice features. Like all CAD packages there is a learning curve.

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I'm trying to plan out a scratch build and using it instead of the inkscape designs i would normally do. Fun project. It has a nice feature to convert to 2d paper plans.

Last edited:

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Gave myself another little project to learn this program. Took a rcgroups build and used it to try and make 2d drawings in fusion.
2018-06-07.png2018-06-07 (2).png2018-06-07 (1).png
2018-06-07 (3).png

evana007

New User
Reaction score
I have read all the stuff carefully as I have a great interest in 3d printing technology. I am very much thankful to you for sharing such a nice information. someone suggest me to visit hp support, this is also a nice site. the designing software you have mentioned are just fantastic.

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Hello, 3D modeling has immensely evolved with the advancement in technology and their use has now transcended to more industries including medicine and architecture. if you want any help regarding Dell repair support , you can touch .
If you guys are going to make a fake Dell support page, maybe you should finish building your website and make sure all the links you are using actually go somewhere. Or edit whatever template you stole to remove the links you dont want to use.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I picked up a 3D printer for myself, so time for me to learn Fusion 360 too. I have played with Sketchup some in the past and didn't care for it, and hearing of the issues it has from Chris here at the shop, will not waste my time messing with it when Fusion is available to us to play with. I already have some uses for the printer with some projects I have going on around the house. :)

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Still waiting for my 3D printer.. Seems I bought from a shitty source that did not actually have inventory even though they claimed they did. Not only that, but they gave the impression that they were shipping from the USA, nope from China. I thought I was buying from an OK source.. Arghh! Who knows when I'll actually get my printer. I had wanted to play with it during the Xmas break and ordered it early enough that I could have, even if shipped from China.

No wonder we get so many compliments on our FAST and HONEST dealings with our customers.

Retired

User
Reaction score
What 3D printer did you buy Wayne?
I did a lot of YouTube research and so many were giving the Ender 3 ok to good reviews I went with it.
So
Xmas brought me a Ender 3 3D printer from Amazon. $230 but arrived the day before Xmas. Just put it together dec 30. Took 1.5 hrs and I was able to print my first attempt. Printed some recommend parts, a fan cover and a control board cover. Came out good enough considering a first attempt ever.
I did watch YouTube videos ahead of time and was ready with thingiverse and cura to download and convert to G code.
I’m pretty happy with what I’ve learned and how well this printer is doing so far.
The only mod so far other than printing the fan and control board was to change the Bowden tube fitting on the feeder end to one with metal retaining teeth I also ordered from Amazon. The one supplied has plastic teeth and can slip its grip. The nozzle end assembly is ok.
Only using PLA black and white for now.
Now to learn how to design/make custom parts to print.
I’m trying Tinkercad but can’t make curved angles I need but only right angle ones.
My local RC club is losing members that attend meetings because I believe, too many are going to BNF plastic planes. They may be interested however in printing their own replacement parts so I’m going to suggest we have 3D printing demos and speakers at some meeting this year. If enough are interested maybe we can justify owning a club 3D scanner?
Hope your printer shows up soon and we can share some ideas and G files.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I got the Ender 3 Pro as I got a good deal on it, and liked the better power supply and the flexy bed. I got a good price, but the darn thing still has not shipped! I did pick up the metal feeder kit, that I have, and I have some filaments that Chris here recommended. Chris does most all of our 3D work here at Aloft. All I need is my darn printer. LOL I guess I should just cancel my order at buy from a real place.

Retired

User
Reaction score
Sorry it didn’t go well. Costs a little more but Amazon delivered mine in 2 days. I found out my 22yr old grandson is into 3D printing at our family Xmas get together. He’s been using the local colleges makerbot and is familiar with all the popular free programs.
I just ordered him a ender3 from Amazon and some Filament to hopefully spend more time with him with a common interest. Starting with putting the ender 3 kit together. I’m a big supporter of hands on to better understand and maintain it.
His dads a software engineer and a RC flyer so hopefully we can all hang out more.
RC wise, I just downloaded (thingiverse) and printed a mg90 servo activated bomb drop assembly.
Very small and it can drop 2 using a 3 pos sw on my Taranis.
I plan to use it to drop $store parachutes from my Funcub.
If I can master fusuon360 I plan on designing some hobby items for RC and ham radio I can’t buy.
Long post but I’m really excited about the possibilities this 3D printer offers.
Oh, I printed a $200 cat toy also ha ha.
Hope to read soon about your printer Wayne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I finally got my money back from the shitty vendor and bought one from a California dealer, should have it tomorrow so I can start playing with it over the weekend. I have some garage projects that I think this will help out with. Beats breaking out the grinders and welder. :)

-Wayne

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I have had a lot of fun with the 3D printer and have started work with Fusion. Little bit at a time. Heck, might draw up our office space in Fusion to help with some planning. :)

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
yeah once i copied something into 3d i started looking around for more stuff. Its pretty enjoyable. I havent even turn my printer on for a few months though.