What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flying Area Size Guide

RCdiy

User
Reaction score
Is there a general guide on size of electric aircraft/wing span vs flying area?

Basketball Court/Indoor
Tennis Court
Baseball Field
Football Field

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I would say speed is more important than size. And FPV you can do a lot smaller areas than LOS.

I think also this has a lot to do with how confident/skilled a person is.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Yeah, size can vary a lot. But when you start moving into faster aircraft, they tend to need larger landing areas.

If you are working on some guidelines for new folks. May I suggest adding something about keeping your areas clean of liter and such. Also think about noise pollution. Planes that make a bunch of noise can lead to upset neighbors and cops asking you to leave. If you keep the space clean and don't make a lot of noise, you should have much better luck maintaining your flying at that spot.

RCdiy

User
Reaction score
I received permission to fly at a baseball diamond & soccer field. It is closer than the club I usually fly at. So this got me wondering. How do beginners choose the aircraft to fit the space and flying skill. I know the concepts but would like examples.

For example
Indoor basketball court - UMX Champ
Baseball / soccer field - FT mini series? UMX Timber
Farm fields - Apprentice S 15e, Timber

The product pages are usually quite on size of flying area. Horizon has Park Flyers category but how big is a park?

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Speed is the criteria.

Most UMX models are too fast for a basketball court. And a basketball court is far too small for a beginner. Beginners need time (space) to think and react to the aircraft. But The UMX Radian should work. The UMX Vapor would work well. And the UMX YAK 54 might work.

Park Flier is a poorly defined term. I don't think the AMA has a good definition. The AMA has tried to use weight and speed as defining criteria. The over riding concern with Park Fliers is safety of bystanders so light and slow are the over riding requirements. As to field size, a baseball field would be ok for what the AMA has defined as a Park Flier.

A farm field is great for just about all models a beginner would be likely to have. Just have the tractor level a runway.

Last edited:

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I will admit that I have flown just about everything from a baseball field. From very slow fun planes to pylon racers. But we had a baseball field that was very isolated. I adjust my planes to the space I have to fly from, and how many folks are out walking dogs and playing with kids, etc. For example, the float plane we sell is about as large a plane I will fly from a baseball field. It actually eats up a fair amount of ground. Yet, the F15 jet we sell can be flown from a smaller space as it is very easy to land and doesn't actually need as much space to take off. Go figure, you would think it would be the other way around. Really depends on the planes you are considering.

RCdiy

User
Reaction score
May be I should start a new thread as ask

"Please provide examples of planes you would suggest someone who has just started to fly on their own based of the following spaces available. Someone who has just got their wings and wants relaxed flying experience."

Indoor - Sports Cub S (maybe), UMX Space Walker, Hobby Zone Champ, UMX Vapor, UMX Yak 54 (maybe)

Soccer/Baseball Fields - Sports Cub S, UMX Timber, UMX Yak 54, Flite Test Mini kits

thenated0g

Very Strong User
Reaction score
yeah takeoff and landing has a big effect on it. I fly my 90" flying wing at a running track size field, but its hand launched and belly lander (stops quick). Its size makes it easy to see (can get up higher) and so i can do big long tracks in the sky. Whereas i have a little 26" crashtesthobby scythe wing with a jet engine motor (very high wing loading as its heavy) which i find is hard as im basically turning the entire flight to try and stay in sight.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
As we can't list all models we (I'm) trying to give criteria as to what one would use to make the determination as to suitability. I feel this is of far more value than a sales ad (list). Beginners need a lot more space than those of us with years of experience. While I can fly a UMX Space Walker and HZ Champ in a basketball court. Most novice fliers would be hard pressed not to hit the walls.

As to a relaxing experience, flying fast models in a small space is NOT relaxing! Please don’t confuse "under powered" with suitability for small places. The UMX Yak-54 is nice as one can “power through” a turn and avoid hitting an obstacle. Also with the flat pitched prop it can fly at high alpha (very slowly). Again these are maneuvers a novice most likely hasn’t mastered.