What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dual frequency redundancy?

nadt770

New User
Reaction score
So can I use an RB-10 or RB-20 with an X series receiver and an R series receiver and my X9D+ with a R9M in the external bay to give me a dual frequency connection to the aircraft? You know like those expensive ones out of Florida do. Just curious.

John

3djc

New User
Reaction score
Yes, it is possible. You need to disable telemetry on your R9M since you cannot have both telemetry running (If you are running a recent OpenTX version, it should do it automaticaly)

3djc

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
@3djc
Why is that it shuts down the telemetry on the R9?

We recently setup a dual frequency and ran into the auto off feature for the R9. We actually wanted to put the telemetry onto the R9 instead on the IXJT but were not able to get around this auto off function.

The setup was going to be in a VERY DIRTY RF environment and I think the R9 had the best chance to penetrate. Maintaining RF connection was very important as the vehicle was going to be delivering a very dangerous load (in a very secured area (bomb range) with all kinds of permits, etc.

3djc

New User
Reaction score
Hello Wayne

Currently, you cannot shut down telemetry on the internal XJT if it is turned on, and you cannot have both talking over the same sport wire, so the only solution today is to turn off the R9M telemetry (unlike XJT, R9M does allow it) if internal module is ON.

Taranafobe

New User
Reaction score
Yes, it is possible. You need to disable telemetry on your R9M since you cannot have both telemetry running (If you are running a recent OpenTX version, it should do it automaticaly)

3djc
Hey 3djc
Have you set up and tested the dual frequency using the RM9 and xjt simultaneously?
I want this!!!

3djc

New User
Reaction score
Yes, there no issue with this, as mentionned by Wayne, the only limit is that telemetry can only come from internal XJT, not R9M

Taranafobe

New User
Reaction score
Yes, there no issue with this, as mentionned by Wayne, the only limit is that telemetry can only come from internal XJT, not R9M
This is exactly what I was hoping for. I just bought the RM9 combo from Wayne. Now if I can just make it work. Want to send it thru the r bus 10 to a plane I can't afford to lose?

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
What we have been doing is running the plane on the 2.4 as the primary, and then using the R9 for the second receiver.

Once the new ACCESS firmware is fully released you will be able to get the telemetry from both receivers. :)

Taranafobe

New User
Reaction score
What we have been doing is running the plane on the 2.4 as the primary, and then using the R9 for the second receiver.

Once the new ACCESS firmware is fully released you will be able to get the telemetry from both receivers. :)
Cool. So for now the signal runs into the main 2.4 receiver and through the redundency bus (for circuit protection) to the 900 Hz long range reciever (standby) via s bus
and controls the plane seamlessly if the 2.4 failsafes. Telemetry enabled only on the main receiver.
So the radio knows how to make that happen automaticly without latency? And the internal xjt and external RM 9 module run simultaneously?

3djc

New User
Reaction score
The radio knows nothing about that. The RB switches receivers when it decides too, the radio been unaware of that. As for latency, it does need some time for a receiver to decide it is unable to process signal anylonger, so it is not instant, but short enough to not loose a craft in normal circumstances

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
In testing on the bench I have not been able to tell when it makes the switch to the backup receiver.

Taranafobe

New User
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Super helpful. I just got my componets recently ( thanks Wayne!) And will be doing some testing soon. Really appreciate the insight.