What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital vs. Analog Servos

RCdiy

User
Reaction score
Could you point me to some good webpages/videos that explain:
- the differences between digital and analog servos
- when to use each kind
- differences in how to use each kind (for example I've seen reference to changing parameters on a receiver depending on servos used)
- pros, cons
- figuring out if a servo is analog or digital (phisical markings, twitchy behaviour/sounds when connected...)

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Most servo OEMs and retailers have a FAQ that address most of these question.
I assume you know this, so I'm not clear as to what you want to do with this.
https://www.servocity.com/digital-servo-faqs

Could you point me to some good webpages/videos that explain:
- the differences between digital and analog servos
Uses binary code in place of pulse width or voltage level to position output
- when to use each kind
Digital when one wants power and speed (as a result of the refresh rate the servo amp can respond to the input or output changes much faster. Most RC analog signals are clocked at a slow 20 milliseconds) Gyros are a good case for digital servos.
- differences in how to use each kind (for example I've seen reference to changing parameters on a receiver depending on servos used) See above, I thnk you are referencing RX refresh speeds
- pros, cons
Digital Cons: power demand goes up in relation the refresh rate. Oh but what benefits, speed power and precision!
- figuring out if a servo is analog or digital (physical markings, twitchy behavior/sounds when connected...)
No industry standard as to marking. If refresh rate is slow enough, in the human auditory range, one might hear a high pitched whine

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Interesting question. Is there a way to tell if a servo is digital or analog just by looking at it, and not the number on it.. LOL Not that I am aware of. A servo with a small deadband of 1 or so will for sure make plenty of noise trying to maintain a perfect centering. This is typically what people are talking about with the noise from digitals. The digital servo is much strong in this area, thus more noise.