What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cant Setup Models

Bigmac

New User
Reaction score
Total nub here setting up my new radios. I just purchased 3 radios , x9d, q7x, and an x-lite.
I am trying to set them up to run tiny hawks.
I am able to bind no problem. I cannot setup the model.
When I select "create new" the screen flashes loading model and I never get to select the model type. All three radios simply select Heli for me.

I have the manual for the Q7X but it skips over this. I have watched just about every Teranis setup video I can find and they all show me this model selection process. You know select the pic of the type of model. This just gets skipped over.
I suspect the problem is somewhere between the keyboard and the chair as it is in all three radios.

Any ideas what I might be missing?

Bigmac

New User
Reaction score
I just tried downloading the companion but I cant get the drivers for some reason.
My PC simply doesn't see my radio.
I've been at this about 5 hours.. F it I'm goin to have a beer.

Kjwright12

New User
Reaction score
What version of OpenTX running on the radio. Is it current and are you running the same version of companion??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigmac

New User
Reaction score
The Open Tx is 2-2-2 and so was the companion. I found that my X9D+ had an SD card in it but I cant read it and windows wants me to format it. I found I was unable to get into bootloader mode. I just get a blue screen.

I downloaded the SD card files but the 2.2.2 v16 wasn't available and I had to load up v 18. I plugged this in and was able to get through the model selection process. I still haven't gotten to the arming assignment which I assume will be channel 5.
After 12 hours and 2 really nice local beers I still cant fly... but I didn't go into a rage and jump up and down on anything....

Kjwright12

New User
Reaction score
Don’t you set the arming switch in beta flight or whatever you are using.

Bigmac

New User
Reaction score
I really have no idea.
I have a combination of a purchased manual and youtube videos to guide me.

The videos I have seem for binding the tiny hawk have been from people with quads programmed. I follow along until my screen dont look like their screens.

In my day job I'm the tech guy.... this is wearing me out.
I can bind my quads but I cant get them to fire up and fly.

Kjwright12

New User
Reaction score
Ya they can get discouraging I’m a tech (It) in my day job. So after you bind them I believe you need to configure so they will arm. That is what I understand. If you haven’t already check out Joshua Bardwell on YouTube he has some great tutorials. But some arm in different ways. Switch that is assigned. Some arm when you move both sticks to the bottom outside corners at the same time. I hope this helps you.

Reaction score
The thing with the model type pictures is the Wizard and it will only run if you have a SD card installed that has the Wizard script. Possibly you don't have SD cards installed or they are bad. One should comes with the X9D+ but it is extra for the Q-X7 and possibly for the X-lite. The SD cards FrSky have supplied have not always been the best and using a genuine brand name card usually avoids problems

The Wizard just creates a basic template so it while it saves a bit of work it is not required to program OpenTX. By default when you create a new model you get a 4 channel model with the 4 sticks hooked up as INPUTS connected to the MIXERS for the first 4 channels. This is all you need to fly many multi-rotors since often you can use the sticks to select the mode etc. Most people like to add a mode switch on an auxiliary channel instead of using the sticks.

To add a simple 3 position mode channel just chose the channel in the Mixer, say CH5, and set the Source field to the 3 position switch you want to use, say SA. This will move the channel between -100, 0 and +100. You will have to use flight controller configuration software (eg betaflight etc) to configure the flight controller to expect that change.

Note that the order of the channels in the default model comes from RADIO SETUP setting "Default Channel Order", which you should set to your preferred order. AETR is generally best since it is assumed for some FrSky equipment.

While you are in RADIO SETUP it is a good idea to check that the MODE is set as you expect (generally Mode 2) and it agrees with the way the sticks are configured (where the non centering Throttle stick is)

Bigmac

New User
Reaction score
Ya they can get discouraging I’m a tech (It) in my day job. So after you bind them I believe you need to configure so they will arm. That is what I understand. If you haven’t already check out Joshua Bardwell on YouTube he has some great tutorials. But some arm in different ways. Switch that is assigned. Some arm when you move both sticks to the bottom outside corners at the same time. I hope this helps you.

I watch his videos every day! I'm binding three tiny hawks and I believe they arm on Aux 1. I think the problem is how I have it set.
I think I know what I am missing now. I will download beta flight and I have to get my companion drivers to load some how..

Bigmac

New User
Reaction score
The thing with the model type pictures is the Wizard and it will only run if you have a SD card installed that has the Wizard script. Possibly you don't have SD cards installed or they are bad. One should comes with the X9D+ but it is extra for the Q-X7 and possibly for the X-lite. The SD cards FrSky have supplied have not always been the best and using a genuine brand name card usually avoids problems

The Wizard just creates a basic template so it while it saves a bit of work it is not required to program OpenTX. By default when you create a new model you get a 4 channel model with the 4 sticks hooked up as INPUTS connected to the MIXERS for the first 4 channels. This is all you need to fly many multi-rotors since often you can use the sticks to select the mode etc. Most people like to add a mode switch on an auxiliary channel instead of using the sticks.

To add a simple 3 position mode channel just chose the channel in the Mixer, say CH5, and set the Source field to the 3 position switch you want to use, say SA. This will move the channel between -100, 0 and +100. You will have to use flight controller configuration software (eg betaflight etc) to configure the flight controller to expect that change.

Note that the order of the channels in the default model comes from RADIO SETUP setting "Default Channel Order", which you should set to your preferred order. AETR is generally best since it is assumed for some FrSky equipment.

While you are in RADIO SETUP it is a good idea to check that the MODE is set as you expect (generally Mode 2) and it agrees with the way the sticks are configured (where the non centering Throttle stick is)

Thank you!
It took me all darn day to figure out my X9D+ had a bad SD card. Maybe not bad but not formatted and empty. Once I figured that out I went and bought 3 16 gig micro SD cards. This got me to a point where I could setup my first 4 channels and lead me to figure out the default channel order. Once I get one of these flying I think I will be able to apply what I learn on the other 2. I compounded my frustration by learning 3 radios in the same day.

I'm downloading BetaFlight today so I can confirm the setup is working.

On a side note... I had no idea it would be so hard to get batteries and chargers for the X-lite... what a pain in the tucus.

Bigmac

New User
Reaction score
I still cant get this dang thing to fly.
I think my radio setup is OK but I cant get connected on betaflight to check my inputs.
I had to force the driver to install to see the flight controller. But when I click connect betaflight locks up.

Now I can see the port, I just cant connect. As soon as I unplug the quad betaflight is fine.

Bigmac

New User
Reaction score
I have now tried just about all the drivers I can find.
Dangit I can see the FC I have the drivers but my betaflight locks up.
I think I'm finished for the day.

Bigmac

New User
Reaction score
Hmm plot thickens... I finally have my radio set up. End points are established.
I put betaflight on another older PC I have and was able to connect to my quad.
I set my small angle to 180.
I can verify my arm switch is correct and in the proper range. But this darn thing wont arm.
My volocameter ( sp) is calibrated and the quad it flat and being seen as flat.
Betaflight confirms the radio setup is fine.

Holy cow what do I have to do perform human sacrifice?

Bigmac

New User
Reaction score
Doh, had to disconnect and put in a battery. Now I have to setup angle mode so it will stop going nuts when I crash !

Time for a beer. I'll setup the other two another day.

Bigmac

New User
Reaction score
I learned so much from this... I cranked out two more models in about 10 min each once I figured this out.
Now if I can figure out how to get my telemetry working so I can setup the low battery alarm I will really be cookin.