Apus MQ60 setup

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Register

Wid

Feb 25, 2018
EDIT: I have solved most of my problems but leave these posts for others searching
Still looking for solution to Post #12

I just got my MQ60 and am trying to get it up and running. I am using a Taranis plus OTX2.2.2. I believe I have been successful binding. Green light is on and blue light flashes. But no throttle response.
<snip>

Last edited:

Wid

Feb 25, 2018
BUT:
Now I have a new problem. Props spin even with throttle fully down. I have re-calibrated several times, even being careful to not over do the throttle off position during calibration.

Also, after throttling up for a few seconds the throttle down (off) leaves the props spinning fast enough that the quad won't stay stationary on the floor. I have had to disarm to avoid it skidding on the floor and hitting things. Very disconcerting to not be able to throttle down completely. One of the motors has been weak since the first power up.

Video shows slow spin up when arm switch SB activated. Followed by guick full throttle and return to throttle off where props spin faster. Dud motor stops. Quad does not slide on floor because battery is near drained.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Wid

Feb 25, 2018
I have the angle/horizon modes on a 3 way switch. Each of the 3 switch positions give me different behavior.
Can someone explain what is happening? And which switch value is horizon and which is angle? The throttle issue and unreliable motor have kept me from flying it enough to find out by experimentation.

Update: The quad still will not throttle all the way down. It does fly OK though the one motor always stops spinning first and is slower to spin up. S3↓ is the horizon (gentle) mode. S↑ and S- are acro. There is a difference in behavior between S↑ and S- that I can detect at low throttle while the quad is on the ground but I can't yet fly acro well enough to say just what is happening in the air.

But inability to throttle off is a real problem. Sometimes it messes up landing enough that the quad rolls onto its back and then the motors speed up even more. Dis-arm is the only way to completely stop props and insure a good landing.

Last edited:

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 29, 2017
Novato, CA USA
You are not going to like this answer, but here goes.

This is not an issue, it is a feature.

See, I told you.. Don't like it, do you?

On a quad, if the motors shut off, the quad tumbles out of the sky. If you leave the motors running some, then the quad can stay stable and not tumble in a fast descent. I forget the name of this, but it is a setting in the flight controller.

I would suggest you keep flying the little Apus, get to know it. Once you are comfortable with it, you can plug it into your computer and start tweaking and tuning as you like. I do not recommend this until you have sometime with it though. I have seen to many folks brand new to these mess everything up in a hurry, and end up with a very poor flying quad. Stock out of the box, they are not too bad.

Hope this helps.

Wid

Feb 25, 2018
I was doing some research last night on betaflight and found reference to this "feature" . You are right, I don't like it. I have sense enough to leave some throttle on if I expect a non tumbling decent. But I am a complete noob with flight controllers and will learn. After I have a chance to study up on betaflight I will adjust things more to my liking.

I like the Quad and how it flies fine, though I only get about 3 minutes per battery with gentle flying.I have checked the slow motor for debris or hair and found none. It flys fine but spins up last and stops first. (See video) It has done so out of the box even before the first flight. If FrSky can see its way to sending me a new CW motor that would be nice. If not I can live with it.

I am curious about the 3 flight modes I get with the 3 position switch. I have only seen reference in the liturature to 2, horizon and angle . From my observation I get 3: horizon (gentle), angle level, where the quad returns to level when sticks are released , and angle hold ,where the quad seems to hold the angle It is at when sticks released. Only preliminary observation since my acro flying is very limited so far, but very obvious difference when done with low throttle on the ground.

I'll look for and study instructions for betaflight.

Thanks for your response. It helps.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 29, 2017
Novato, CA USA
Yep, tons of options in Betaflight. You can set it up many different ways. I think I still have the stock PIDs on mine, and mostly fly in the acro mode (angle??) I forget what mode it is set as, but the one that is less stabilized. I find it responds better and deals with wind gusts for the air vents in the house much better. The stabilization almost seems to confuse the little fella.

Slow motor - not uncommon on the brushed quads. Mine does the same, have a bunch of flights with it, no issues. I have not checked, but calibrating the ESCs may cure the lazy motor. (another betaflight thing..)

I should bring mine in and let Sean here tune it up, he is the master of tuning brushed quads. LOL I gave him my old Q100 that I thought was kind of tired, and he has it flying like a new quad. I think he has about 200 flights on it by now.

Flight time - Yep, these little guys do not fly very long. Just grab a bunch of batteries and have fun. At least the packs are really cheap!

Wid

Feb 25, 2018
Because internet posts live on in cyber space forever I thought I would share with other noobs what I have learned, though knowledgeable folks already know.

I have been studying Betaflight and learning a a little. The answer to my question about props always spinning that I would have liked to have received and that is also true: "It is a feature called 'airmode'. It is highly recommended to leave it on, but if you decide to turn it off it is a setting available in Betaflight configurator. Disable the "permanently enable airmode " on the configuration page. I haven't tested in flight because I broke my frame in a tumble down the stairs before I could hit the disarm switch. But ground tests indicate turning off "permanently enable airmode" has the effect I want. Turn airmode off at your own risk. It is not recommended by the experts.

Airmode explained

Though I only saw reference to horizon and angle modes in the Apus literature. Internet searches revealed 3 modes available : horizon, angle, acro. Horizon and angle have self leveling and acro does not.

My new frame should be here by Tue.

Last edited:

Wid

Feb 25, 2018
I have now moved airmode to a switch so I can use it when I want, pretty much all the time except when landing. I have learned airmode adds stability and control authority in most situations and is well worth having on most of the time.

I really like the MQ60. Tough little bugger. Flys great for my needs. Low cost low stress way to learn FPV and BetaFlight.

Jan 23, 2018
I don't know if you necessarily need air mode on a switch for landing. for me it is less complicated and just as easy to disarm an inch or two off the ground if you set up a nice smooth glide patch to your landing spot. Welcome to the hobby, new things to learn all the time!

Wid

Feb 25, 2018
Not a necessity, just a preference. My disarm switch is where it has been for years for all my planes and I can hit it easily but not by mistake. But while wearing goggles I sometimes fumble for it. I have about a week wearing goggles. Not good while trying to maintain precise control. The no airmode switch is where I can hit it very easily even while wearing goggles but in some situations while wearing googles I could hit by mistake. Not a good place for disarm.

Practicing my precision landings on bar stools and such makes the ability to go around or recover from a hard bounce very useful. Disarm would defeat that.

Thanks for the welcome. I have been flying sailplanes for 20 years but flight controllers and FPV are new to me. A pretty steep learning curve. But it is starting to make more sense to me.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 29, 2017
Novato, CA USA
The more you fly it the more fun you will have. Eventually you may want to turn down some of the stability, it kind of wakes up a higher level of performance from the little guy. Just wish the battery life was better. LOL

Wid

Feb 25, 2018
How many AUX channels can I set up on my MQ60? I assumed TAER1234 meant I could have 4 AUX channels. Using Taranis+, FW 2.2.2.

I am trying to set up AUX4. I can get AUX1-3 working fine. To set up AUX 4 I have SG mapped to channel 8 on my Taranis+, channel monitor on Tx shows SG switch is moving channel 8 as expected. But I get no sign of movement in BF configurator when I try to set up AUX 4.

Thanks for any guidance.

PS: MQ60 still flying great on original props and motors. Indoor flips and rolls too! Grand kids love it. I don't fly it outside for fear of losing it. Would need to set up a buzzer before I fly it over the tall grass. Have set up a Flite Test Gremlin with GPS and a buzzer to fly outside. Works great. Easy to find.

Wid

Feb 25, 2018
Channels monitor on the Taranis+ shows ch8 responding to SG switch correctly.
So does outputs. 988 to 2012.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 29, 2017
Novato, CA USA
In the model setup, page 2, you are sending out 8 channel or more?
If so, then you should see it all happening in the flight controller. Not sure what to check for in betaflight, never been an issue.

Wid

Feb 25, 2018
I have not been able to get AUX 4 working as I want but all other AUX channels are working. So I just use AUX 5 instead.
I remember something about RSSI being on CH8 S-buss and wonder if that is the issue. AUX4 does show some movement when I shield antenna on Tx.

Is there a way to turn off RSSI on channel 8? I now have the quad operating as I want but would like to know more and understand what is going on with AUX4 (which is ch8 on the Tx).

Wid

Feb 25, 2018
I just found that several switches can be on one AUX channel, so you can get away with less AUX channels and use D8. Joshua Bardwell explains how he has arm-disarm, angle mode, beeper, VTxcontrol, turtle mode all on one AUX channel: