What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aloft AD on Homepage

RICHARD CASSARA

New User
Reaction score
I could not help but notice the Ad on the Aloft Homepage with the Taranis Transmitter in Black. The tagline in particular caught my attention which read "CUZ" nothing looks better than black (approximately). Now I am not some angry over sensitive polemic oozing with truculence and itching for anything to give cause for a histrionic episode. However, I may sometimes choose my own words carefully before making them public because we now live in a country that is filled with the afore described citizen. The word "CUZ" may be such a word for careful consideration. I understand the "CUZ" is short for "because" as a phonetic play on words. I'm just saying when "CUZ" is coupled with "BLACK" it invites consternation.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I could not help but notice the Ad on the Aloft Homepage with the Taranis Transmitter in Black. The tagline in particular caught my attention which read "CUZ" nothing looks better than black (approximately). Now I am not some angry over sensitive polemic oozing with truculence and itching for anything to give cause for a histrionic episode. However, I may sometimes choose my own words carefully before making them public because we now live in a country that is filled with the afore described citizen. The word "CUZ" may be such a word for careful consideration. I understand the "CUZ" is short for "because" as a phonetic play on words. I'm just saying when "CUZ" is coupled with "BLACK" it invites consternation.
Cuz, was/is used by many of my family members. I can say this as I was often told by my family elders to do this that or the other thing, “Cuz I said so!”

It looks like one would have to have a very, very, narrow understanding as to the origin of “Cuz” to be offended. It might not be proper english and might be thought of as lower class. But I’m not aware that is has any racial connotation.

Unfortunately many of my relatives are self proclaimed racists. I’d like to know if you have any evidence that the etymology of the word “Cuz” can be traced back to Black America or that it has negative connotations based on rase. True, it might label one to a certain social or economical class.

I would love to show some of my racist family members that they are being heavily influenced by “black culture”!

But I really fail to see how this is tied to race. I don’t buy the argument that phrases or words that have their origin in the Southern American dialect are racist based on their etymology. As I recall the plantation owners were white and carried much of the accent and dialect of the south with them as they traveled north to be schooled. There is ample evidence that these whites were mercilessly teased for their use of southern language by their high brow northern class mates.

Last time I read the Constitution of these great United States, I did not see where we as a people have the “right" to be offended.
This is what invites consternation! People being offended at any and everything. Legitimate wrongs need to be addressed. We don't need to be making up new ones. There are plenty to go around.

Now I have a concern that the phrase “Cuz black is better” might put a large portion of the populous on an impossibly high pedestal.

In this application (the radio case) I vehemently disagree with the notion. Because when we are outside in the sun the black case absorbs the sun’s energy causing many of the radio’s electronic components to over heat. So I contend that the assertion that black is better is false when it comes to the housing and face plates of our radios.

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Well, unless someone is complaining, I think we are OK. No hate is intended cuz we don't do that here at Aloft.

We just like to have a little fun. If you read through some of our product descriptions on the site you will find many bad puns and silly stuff scattered about.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Actually, I told my wife about this and she thought we should modify or pull it off too.

Need to update the homepage anyhow.. Dang, we are a laziest company, aren't we? We don't blast you all with emails and marketing mumbo jumbo and hardly update the homepage or Facebook. I guess I would get an F in marketing 101.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Her reasoning is what ?

I would find it offensive that the "thought police" would prevail over an alleged offense. I'd like to see an etymology discussion that maps a real historical valid trail for any racial prejudice for the term "cuz".

As to Marketing 101 this is why I patronize Aloft Hobbies. You hold fast to the notion that the customer if first and foremost to the success of the firm.

All the best,
Konrad

Hank

Active User
Reaction score
When I saw the add, what came to my mind first is that a black colored transmitter would show less dirt than a white one like my white X7. I purchased my X7 when they first came out and white was the only color available. At first I thought a white colored transmitter would be unique. But now I wish I had held out for the black "CUZ" my white X7 looks mangy now with all the glow fuel slime on it.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I was going to say that my white X7 is nice and clean, but then you added the glow fuel statement..

Hank

Active User
Reaction score
I always hesitate to put liquid cleaners on a radio fearing I might damage it. I have used cleaners but in a limited way.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Understood. But synthetic lubes will require some kind of solvent, be it ammonia or alcohol.
Test first.

P.S.
"Cuz" synthetic lubes also act as a solvent. So it isn't a good idea to leave the slime on the surface.

Last edited:

Hank

Active User
Reaction score
Understood. But synthetic lubes will require some kind of solvent, be it ammonia or alcohol.
Test first.

P.S.
"Cuz" synthetic lubes also act as a solvent. So it isn't a good idea to leave the slime on the surface.[/QUOTE

Ok, I get the part of the synthetic lubes being a solvent as well. But as you know, I also use lots of castor oil. Good and slimy. Once that castor dries up it is as sticky as movie theater floors (YUCK!!!). At least I don't have worry about the transmitter slipping out of my hands while flying.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
No, I didn't know you used castor oil. The best lube for lapped (non ringed) model engines.

I don't recall castor having much of a solvent (cleaning) action. That sticky mess makes a good rust inhibitor. (Not sure about the stuff in the movie theater).

All the best,
Konrad

Hank

Active User
Reaction score
I got a lot of help from you with my Fox engines when you used to be in the "other" forums.

I am leaning towards getting a spare (new) transmitter shell: https://alofthobbies.com/q-x7-replacement-shells-carbon.html . Looks like it will hide the dirt better, but still be sticky and slimy. I could alternate shells once a year so that I can thoroughly clean them up at the end of flying season. That's the beauty of the FrSky radios, cheap replacement parts.

Speaking of castor stickiness, I am in the process of replacing the bearings on my 3 Fox 40 C-case engines. Those bearings are stuck real good in there because of the castor, even after heating them, they won't come out. Lots of fun. I wish some synthetic oil could be a good replacement for castor oil. I don't mind if I have to replace the bearings more often, they are fairly cheap.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Well Hank allow me to welcome you to the rational forum site. Wayne the site owner encourages us to talk plainly. No need for innuendoes, winks or inside knowledge to follow a thread. Here it is ok to call a rose a rose and a turd a turd.

I’m happy to have been of help over at RCGroups. Unlike RCG, here there is no effort to protect inferior product or despicable marketing practices. Wayne seems to looks to this site as a way to gain insight as to how products perform. Be them what he sells or what else is in the market place. It is hoped that an honest discussion, free of marketing hype, will result in a satisfied customer. And that a satisfied customer is a repeat customer. I’ve been here for about a year and can say Wayne has never asked me to pull my punches when it comes to product performance. (or anything else!)

As to bearings and lubes, most model engine have bearing that are way over spec’d. So unless you are using the Fox as a ditch digger or they are being subjected to corrosion there should be little reason to replace crankshaft bearing.

That last part (corrosion) is why I like castor oil even for a modern construction engine. Unless your engine is of a cast iron piston in a leaded steel liner construction the reduction of castor oil to being even less than 50% of the oil content won’t be a problem in the “C” case Fox. Do try to run 20% oil content fuels and avoid the 16% or less stuff. The issue is with the small end of the connecting rod and has nothing to do with the longevity of the main ball bearings.

Heck for $25 a new case might not be a bad maintenance item. But as I’ve stated before I subscribe to the notion that form follows function. So to control the thermal load in the radio I’d avoid black/fake carbon housings.

Friends don't let friends fly nickel,*:eek:
Konrad

*Lipos are the way to go! I don't think I've flown NiCads since the early 90's

Last edited:

Hank

Active User
Reaction score
I've always run 20% oil but do you think the iron piston/steel sleeve engines require all castor? Or could I get by with 10% castor and 10% synthetic ?

Regarding the QX7, I think it being available in white is a huge attraction. A lot better than many radios with fake chrome finish that peels, like my old Futaba.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
For sure iron piston/steel sleeve engines require all castor during the break in process. With these materials one is actually changing the grain structure on the surface of the piston. This results in a lot of friction heat. I know of no synthetic that can survive that kind of heat (This is very localized and on a microscopic level, or should be when done correctly). I'm loath to change nitro levels after break in, let a lone changing lubricants. Iron piston/steel are old school and as we have a long history showing great long service life with castor. I'll stay with castor for my iron piston/steel P&Ls.

LOL
Futaba with her peeling chrome (vacuum deposition nickel on plastic).

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I have always cleaned my radios with a little 409 on a rag back when I flew nitro stuff. I hate the sticky dirty stuff. Kind of miss the smell though. LOL

I spray my X7 with windex from time to time and wipe her down, but honestly it is just to remove the dirt and dust from slope flying.

Hank

Active User
Reaction score
Yep, I wiil give my X7 a good scrubdown. I still think it is an unbeatable value. I also plan on going back through all the training info to get better at OpenTx.