What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aeroic general situation.

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been off the air for a while, trying to sort out various things, so I thought I’d let you know the latest situation.:oops:

Communications:
Well, as some of you will have seen I have had it with RC Groups. It’s impossible to win there because of basic policy that dictates that Trolls are good for readership and subscribership, so they mostly get left alone by the admins. I don’t subscribe to this doctrine. I have done the research and find that far from “Oh he’s just…” whatever it is; in fact, the Troll is a person who is mentally ill. No joke. Not the guy who’ll flip you off if you make a mistake in traffic because the kids are acting up – Nope, he’ll pull out a magnum 44. I want no part of this or these sadly disturbed people, and since it’s not likely to change, he only thing to do really was to quit RCG. As to the trolls: Te futueo et caballum tuum.:poop:

Work wise.
I have had a lot to do lately for my two “day jobs” both the engineering consulting and the marine engineering business – but that’s a good problem to have. Planes are coming along OK and I have taken time and slowed everything down, and made what I hope are good SOP’s to try further improve overall quality and supply times. I have moved from China but not entirely divorced from them. If I had I would have suffered considerable losses so the moulds are still being made there. Unfortunately the combination of circumstances has put some pretty severe delays on model supply, but I'm happy to say I'm catching up fast and hopefully will soon be back up to speed.

Planes.
I'm sure the changes I’ve made will lead to better overall quality and better accessory packages for the models in the future, and in that direction already improved the included packages for the models which now have all the clevises and the wiring harnesses. I’m working on wing/fuselage bags too, though I have to admit I have not made too much headway there yet. I have also been talking to people in the USA for mould CNC machining quotes for the new fuselage for the Aresti 108. Soon I’ll be making moulds for the big Alpenbrise 158, the Firebird 60, and the MU 28 138” scale plane - aall hopefully before the end of the year and I’m also sourcing parts from China too. Not sure when those new planes will come onstream yet though.

Travels.
I have been over to China recently for the consulting business and I have to say I don’t enjoy those trips very much. Tallying-up the Chinese entry stamps in my passport I find that I have 56 over the last 8 years, and that, gentlemen is enough! But we are hoping to come back to our favorite Bay Area again next year for the ISR and hopefully some other excursions. We love to come and see you all and fly with you guys. Maybe I’ll get in a bit more flying both here and in the USA now I’ve isolated an irksome vision problem that turns out to be minor - though it was very worrying!:cool:

Hopefully not so much radio silence from now!
Cheers, all: James & Julia.:love:

Last edited:

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Doc. Good to see you back.

I’m ecstatic to learn that you are implementing new SOP’s and quality programs. This can only make your great products even greater. But I have to admit that amongst the bay area’s flyers I hang out with, AEROIC never had a quality issue, delivery maybe but quality never!

I would like to ask when will we see product being shipped?

All the best,
Konrad

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Doc. we agree as individuals RCGoofs isn’t worth the time of day. But as a business we may have to put up with them. I don’t want you to throw out the baby with the bath water.

What you and I call a troll or unstable person is NOT what RCGroups calls a troll. A troll to RCGroups thinking is an account that jeopardizes their ad revenue and or doesn’t hold the management in high esteem. Thats it.
I know of what I speak, as I’ve done both in the interest of the membership as a whole.

RCGroups loves drama. That is why they keep LTUP forum. It helps with their Google score. A number they can use to justify their cost structure to potential ad customers.

If you want to control the discussion on RGGroups you need to become an advertiser* (Sponsor). And then as an advertiser demand that undesirables be banned. Its as simple as that. I think Deep Throat (Mark Felt) said it best; ” Follow the money”.

Now I don’t know how much value you could get for your advertising dollar spending it at RCGroups. I can tell you I only go to that site if somebody directs me there. I will say that of the last 1000 or so of my hobby purchases have been driven by word of mouth or ads in AMA’s Model Aviation. The last time I was influenced by RCGroups in purchasing a product was when they were E-Zone and that was for a company called Aveox.

We might want to ask Wayne what value he has seen in being a sponsor of RCGroups. I can’t think it is much if any. Today I think one’s advertising dollar is best spent on Google products. A You Tube channel will draw more potential buyers than any out of control thread on RCGroups. Now I have to say as a engineer I don’t understand the irrational world of marketing. But this is business and as such it involves more than just a solid engineered product. The world's best mouse tray won't sell if nobody know about it.

*I’m sorry if you already have bought ad space on RCGroups. It kind of reinforced my position that it is money flushed down the toilet!

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Doc. Good to see you back.

I’m ecstatic to learn that you are implementing new SOP’s and quality programs. This can only make your great products even greater. But I have to admit that amongst the bay area’s flyers I hang out with, AEROIC never had a quality issue, delivery maybe but quality never!

I would like to ask when will we see product being shipped?

All the best,
Konrad

Really soon now, Konrad - just waiting for some more planes off the line and a final last from Wayne.

Cheers and thanks for the confidence.

Doc.

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Doc. we agree as individuals RCGoofs isn’t worth the time of day. But as a business we may have to put up with them. I don’t want you to throw out the baby with the bath water.

What you and I call a troll or unstable person is NOT what RCGroups calls a troll. A troll to RCGroups thinking is an account that jeopardizes their ad revenue and or doesn’t hold the management in high esteem. Thats it.
I know of what I speak, as I’ve done both in the interest of the membership as a whole.

RCGroups loves drama. That is why they keep LTUP forum. It helps with their Google score. A number they can use to justify their cost structure to potential ad customers.

If you want to control the discussion on RGGroups you need to become an advertiser* (Sponsor). And then as an advertiser demand that undesirables be banned. Its as simple as that. I think Deep Throat (Mark Felt) said it best; ” Follow the money”.

Now I don’t know how much value you could get for your advertising dollar spending it at RCGroups. I can tell you I only go to that site if somebody directs me there. I will say that of the last 1000 or so of my hobby purchases have been driven by word of mouth or ads in AMA’s Model Aviation. The last time I was influenced by RCGroups in purchasing a product was when they were E-Zone and that was for a company called Aveox.

We might want to ask Wayne what value he has seen in being a sponsor of RCGroups. I can’t think it is much if any. Today I think one’s advertising dollar is best spent on Google products. A You Tube channel will draw more potential buyers than any out of control thread on RCGroups. Now I have to say as a engineer I don’t understand the irrational world of marketing. But this is business and as such it involves more than just a solid engineered product. The world's best mouse tray won't sell if nobody know about it.

*I’m sorry if you already have bought ad space on RCGroups. It kind of reinforced my position that it is money flushed down the toilet!

All the best,
Konrad

Hi Konrad,
No I have not bought any advertising space on RCG - I'm happy to say. I'm pretty sure I never will either, as it seems so biased that it defies all sense of fairness. Honestly, when you have people who actually describe themselves as an "International Troll", idiots who have been banned from every single forum in thier own countries - even the one they started themselves (!) and who are STILL allowed to post. And this despite a deluge of negative rhetoric from other posters each time they do, then you have to question the judgement calls.

And yes you are right about the RCG/Troll definition. RCG are only concerned at whatever may have a direct effect on the $$$.

My concern is quite different. As I honestly did not (and still don't) understand why someone might deliberately want to be nasty to someone else - especially over something that should be simple fun. So I did what I normally do in a situation that I don't understand a Time is Sheller but eve now I strongly suspect that if these people actually met in person there would eta nd that's do the research. What I found was far more serious than I had imagined.

What I thought was, that it was simply malcontents, you know, those people who are never really happy whatever they have or whatever anyone does - the "Oh he's just..." Or "Thats how he is..." etc etc that display this type of behaviour. I was badly wrong and what I found was entirely different - darker, deeper, and far more sinister.

Honestly if you had seen some of the private emails I have had about these trolls - three of them, and one in particular, you'd get the cold shivers. Apparently they have really upset more people than me, and far more seriously. Compared to these otherwise entirely reasonable guys missives, my reactions, mainly defensive in nature, were quite mild. At least two of my correspondents were really venal and for want of a better expression, were out for blood.

So I found myself wondering what this is all about? This toy hobby that could produce such hate and vitriol? A hobby where the objective is to make friends, fly planes, relax, have fun, laugh, exchange knowledge, take the kids, take the wife, just ENJOY!

How could this apparently innocent quest for enjoyment deteriorate into what with a few gentle nudges in at least 2 cases become a homicidal vendetta?. Was I wrong in my innocence? When from the age of six I used to gaze in the model shop window, rapt at the impossibly beautiful tissue covered creations for hours (My mother used to "Park" me there as she knew I'd never wander) or at seven when I first put a razor blade to a piece of balsa wood?

Well that was sixty years gao now but I'm happy to say that no, I was not wrong. Its a great hobby with everything I need to keep my mind happily occupied, and that in fact it still is a really great hobby with 99.99% really great and genuine people enjoying it.

Honestly though, you have to wonder what it must be like to live in the mind of a Troll. A very dark and violent place. To be always searching for negatives, ways to put people down, ways put a bad slant on anything. Happily, I really don't know, but I do know I have crinkle marks round my eyes due to smiling and laughing - mostly at myself!.

But in the end, with the intractability and apparent ignorance that RCG displays, there was really no choice but to to remove myself from what was becoming a very combative situation. As the wise men say, if there is enough Sierra-Hotel-India-Tango being thrown around, some its is bound to stick.

As to advertising, I don't do any really. I have my facebook pages where I put new stuff or things I'm working on, and answer people's questions, but they are only marginally effective because many people - and I respect this - do not want to be involved with this type of social media.

What I would like is suggestions from anyone as to where the meagre advertising dollars that I can afford might be well spent. I'll certainly look in to AMA - as I'm a member anyway.

Anyway the sun is shining, its a another brand new day, and I'll spend it happy that you and the rest of the great Bay Area guys like the quality of the planes I make - I'm working hard to make it even better!

Chers,

Doc J.

Last edited:

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I do advertise there, mostly because I have many friends there and due to the good info from the past. I sponsor the glider section, and a classified section. That is it. It gives me more PMs there and gives me a leg up when I complain about a troll, but otherwise it is a donation to the community. I think it helps very little when complaining about a bad user.

Ultimately I started this Forum due to this very issue with RCG. I much rather invest my time here where I feel I am able to help people rather than read messages about people fighting and bickering with one another. This should be fun.

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I do advertise there, mostly because I have many friends there and due to the good info from the past. I sponsor the glider section, and a classified section. That is it. It gives me more PMs there and gives me a leg up when I complain about a troll, but otherwise it is a donation to the community. I think it helps very little when complaining about a bad user.

Ultimately I started this Forum due to this very issue with RCG. I much rather invest my time here where I feel I am able to help people rather than read messages about people fighting and bickering with one another. This should be fun.

I completely agree here.

I think this forum is far more balanced and fair, and as Wayne said, its really directed at what it supposed to support and that is good old fashioned fun.:cool:

As to advertising, probably for me, at least with my very small portfolio of products, word of mouth and the ad space that my helpful distributors give to me is enough.

As to the trolls, I dont think they will try to make much of an appearance here - though I got a message from one that he'd "Been approved" and would "soon start posting" - but there ya go. I don't think any Troll post would last very long in this environment.

Like Wayne, I have a lot better things to do and think about than trying to take the field to battle with Trolls.
I'm really happy to be out of it. Bugger it! Say I - let the sales and performance of my products speak for themselves.

In any case the Trolls don't need my help to look like idiots - they do a great job all by themselves.:ROFLMAO:

I'm loving the calmer existence. (Going to start on the Bhuddist mantras soon if I'm not careful! :sleep:)

Cheers,

Doc J.

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
UK Buddy sent me this picture - typical weekend scene at a local slope in the UK - then I realised that every single model that is visible was designed by me. Crikey!

Attachments

• 52719291_813884185612614_2179914074173734912_n.jpg
    52719291_813884185612614_2179914074173734912_n.jpg
    773.3 KB · Views: 160

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
It really is a thrill to see one's ideas take flight!

On the down side it really is frustration to see one's ideas poorly implemented.
(I'm assembling one of your designs; two Strega from RCRCM. What a frustration with the materials and workmanship issues!)

All the best,
Konrad

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
It really is a thrill to see one's ideas take flight!

On the down side it really is frustration to see one's ideas poorly implemented.
(I'm assembling one of your designs; two Strega from RCRCM. What a frustration with the materials and workmanship issues!)

All the best,
Konrad
That was the main reason I decided not to cooperate with the guys any more, Konrad.

With this manufacturer its endemic as its policy. Any experienced manufacturer will tell you it takes the same amount of time to do it right, as to do it wrong. Problem is, these guys think that bad construction fails faster - which it does - so people will buy more spares, which unfortunately, they do.

I am more of an aeromodeller and flyer than a businessman, and take pride in my work so I take the flyer's side and try to do it better.

Cheers,

J.

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Hi Guys - I have been asked a number of important questions by Jeremy (Diceman) and many others.

Here is a general rundown of the situation right now:

Jeremy, and anyone else who reads this.
As many of you know, I was dissatisfied with my previous manufacturer, Zhou over quite a long period. Crazy situation actually as I had taught him how to make models well and strong and with good fit and finish. I went there - to his original place in China, I spent time, days, and actually step by step, hands-on, taught him how to make models well.
Problem was, as he became more competent, the quality started to deteriorate as he cut corners, and to this day I have no idea why. I had to call a halt when it became dangerous. With four air and one landing failures due to poor construction, there was no choice.

Nose Breakage - more below.

Anyway, the end result was that there were many defects, a lot of which could not readily be identified - weak noses is a new one for me actually, but not at all surprising.
I can only humbly apologise.?

(Jeremy)
Looks great James.
I think the concern everyone had with the older models was the weak fuse in front of the wing, I have know quite a few on a not so hard landing that they broke. Can you elaborate on what was done to resolve this?

OK, first, before I get to specifics, the overall quality of the stuff coming from my new guy Frank is really really good. To quote the Guys in Germany, and in the UK:

"Quality, including weight, strength, fit and finished have changed beyond all recognition."

"We are really happy with the quality which is as good or maybe even better than the European made aircraft."
"This is a real slope rocker"

"I have never in 45 years of flying slope seen a model that can accelerate and fly so fast with no ballast."

Now to the specifics:

(Jeremy) Maybe to shorten the nose or strengthen that area with Kevlar? We all need to put weight in the nose to balance a plane, I have always said I would rather put weight in the nose with added Kevlar and thicker weight glass than to add more lead.

Yes Jeremy you are right, its better to put something that adds strength in the nose, so we now do it with extra glass plies and a Kevlar layer - its much, much, stronger now, and no need to shorten the length.

BTW, Frank makes the DYNAMIC series of DS models so he is well aware of strength/weight issues.

(Jeremy) Plus are you still making all the other planes? Gremlin, Redshift, etc and is this company going to make those as well?

Yes the new company will make all the models from me.
OK here is the rundown - its all changed quite a lot:

• Gremlin 60 - Gone. Name now changed to Zanzara 60, coming out early next year. Similar model but new look with the front now already adapted to take an electric motor.
  • Firebird 60 - Gone. Name now changed to Sessanta 60. New 4 degree wing, completely new layup - lighter, stronger, better finish.
  • Schwing Corsa 108 - Gone. Name now changed to Corsa 108. New tailplane, wingspan increased, new airfoil wing, general layup changes, lighter, stronger, better finish.
  • Stormbird Forza 80 - Gone. Name now changed to Forza 100. New Taiplane, new airfoil wing with increased span, general layup changes, lighter, stronger, better finish.
  • Aresti 80 - Gone. New model under design.
  • Aresti 108 - Gone. No plans.
  • Redshift 118 - Gone. Will be replaced by the all-new Redshift Spada in 2021. Design is done, CAD on the way.
  • Apenbrise 157 (4M) - New -milling now.
  • MU28 3.5M - Scale model - CAD done - out in 2021
  • MU32 Scale model - CAD done - out in 2021
All of the moulds for my old models were stolen by Zhou. It's impossible to e them back legally.

(Jeremy) Other questions I have is did you have to make a new set of molds?

Yes I did and I'm still doing it. Cost so far 55,000 US$

(Jeremy) Or did you get your old ones back from the other manufacture facility?

No they were stolen.

(Jeremy) And your planes are now made in Germany, correct?

No, they are made in a new factory in China.

(Jeremy) Sorry for all the questions. Your designs are great, not trying to attack at all, just trying to get some info. :)

Thats great Jeremy - please use the information above as you wish. I'm sure there are a lot of people wondering what happened to me.

Cheers,

Doc.

Last edited: