What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10S vs. 12S Differences

Hank

Active User
Reaction score
Aside from the obvious packaging differences, what are the other differences between the Horus 10S and 12S?

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
The 12S looks to be aimed more at the bench flier as it looks to impress.

I like the 10s better as it has side sliders (I love these). Also the screen takes a lot less power to run. As I often need to hike into many of the slope flying sites the weight saving is noticeable! I often swap this weight for water. The 10S comes with a Li Ion battery a big plus.

While I've had 12 channel radios since the 90’s (Multiplex, Profi 4000 and Royal Evo 12) I’ve never used all 12 channels.

If spending your own money I’d look at the Horus X10S. I think it is a much better RC TX rather than the bench jewel that is the X12S

From the Aloft sales page:
X10S
  • 16 channels (32 channels when combined with an external XJT or Ranger module)
  • Ball bearing gimbals equipped with Hall Effect sensors
  • High Resolution TFT, Transflective Screen, visible in direct sunlight
  • Antenna malfunction detection and SWR telemetry
  • 2 internal antennas and one external removable antenna (can operate on either option)
  • Audible Speech Alerts (values, alarms, settings, etc.)
  • Safety power switch (no accidental power downs)
  • Li-ion battery pack
  • 6 position encoder
  • FrSky FrTX OS
  • Option to install OpenTX
  • Protected Internal Antennas
  • JR Style Module Bay (to expand you RF options)
  • Full Telemetry · RSSI indication and alarms
  • USB and SD card slot for system expansion
  • Data Logging
  • Trainer Port
X12S
  • 16 channels (32 channels when combined with an external XJT module)
  • CNC Aluminum - 6 ball bearing, gimbals equipped with hall effect sensors
  • High Resolution TFT, Transflective Screen, visible in direct sunlight
  • Antenna malfunction detection and SWR telemetry
  • Audible Speech Alerts (values, alarms, settings, etc.)
  • Safety power switch cover with integrated strap attachment point
  • Two types of trainer ports
  • 6 position encoder
  • MP3 Player
  • FrSky FrTX OS
  • Option to install OpenTX OS
  • Stereo Speakers
  • Protected Internal Antenna
  • Internal GPS
  • JR Style Module Bay
  • 16MB on Board Flash Memory
  • Full Telemetry · RSSI indication and alarms
  • USB and SD card slot for system expansion
  • Data Logging
Disclaimer; I don't own ether.

All the best,

Konrad

Hank

Active User
Reaction score
So really they are functionally about the same. Just weight, packaging, and price.

I am enjoying the "cheapie" X7 for now. Just wondering if I outgrow it someday....

You West Coasters are lucky to have the slopes for soaring. I am 5 hours drive from any respectable slopes and I am not interested in any other form of soaring at the present.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
You'll be hard pressed to out grow the X7. If it had side sliders I'd buy one to keep the family ranch in the Denver area for when I visit. Read getaway from the family madness! And I've been flying for over 40 years! The power really is in the Open TX software.

Scott Page

Very Strong User
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just going to say it. The X12S is a (n):poop:. FrSky learned a whole bunch from the Horus 12Xs release and they incorporated those lessons into the much better X10. I prefer the tray style layout of the 12XS with the screen on top and really wish FrSky would revamp it and release with improvements evident in the X10 (such as diversity internal antennas, reset option, accessibility to the electronics, etc.) 12Xs has features that few if anyone has ever used - such as the mini joystick, and Tx GPS.

What Konrad said about the X7 is very true. It does 100% of what 90% of pilots need. (Ok... I made those numbers up, but you understand the hyperbole). Frankly, other than not having internal antennas and really great screen, the X9D+ does everything the X10 does. I prefer the X9D+ because it has a bootloader (like the X7 does) which makes doing computer connections easier. However I believe that 2.2.2 will bring a bootloader to the Horus Transmitters as well.

Hank

Active User
Reaction score
I am very happy with my X7 and OpenTx. I hope to use it for a long time. The small screen is no problem for me, just that I would like the extra switches and sliders that come in the X9D+ and X10. My older TX is a Futaba 9C that has similar layout to the X9D+.

Skye

User
Reaction score
I have a 12s and 10s. I pick up the 10s every time and the 12s sits in its case.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Scott and Skye,
As an engineer and customer I love this kind of brutal honesty about a product. I'm sure Wayne appreciates it, as it helps his customer base make informed purchases, even if it means that the X12s age in inventory.

The X12 is a tray style radio? I'll have to try holding it as such. I come from using the Multiplex Profi 4000 radio and have to say the X9E pulls at my wallet every time I'm in Aloft Hobbies.

As my Profi 4000 was getting long in the tooth (72mHz) I bought the X9D+ (Taranis plus) solely on the programing arcitecture of OpenTX. Much to my chagrin, Fr Sky came out with the X9E (tray radio) a few months after I purchased the X9D+.

PaulG

User
Reaction score
I agree with the OP you will be hard pressed to outgrow the X7. While it would be nice to have a larger screen like the X9, it is really not a necessity IMHO. Since the X7 is my first radio I don't miss the X9's sliders . I do appreciate the jog wheel on the Q7 over the 3 button system on the X9. Once again just my opinion but I bet as the X10 matures and price drops a bit, and X9 becomes more long in the tooth you will see FrSky phase out the X9, but that may take a couple years.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
You may notice that we do not stock many of the X12S.. The funny thing is the sales of the X12S actually picked up after the release of the X10 radios. I prefer the Taranis options (X9D, X7, X9E) or the X10.

The X12S can play MP3 files. o_O

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
It doesn't have the stereo speakers. ;)

Just something FrSky did to make the radios different.

Skye

User
Reaction score
Say, with the 10s I bought from you, I’m trying to slow down the swing wing servo on my Kyosho vision. The servo is on channel 4, and output to aux 2. I can’t figure the ex mixer thing out in fros. Thanks

Skye

User
Reaction score
Uh, never mind...it’s amazing what you can find in the manual if you read it. Speed. 👀

Hank

Active User
Reaction score
I am planning on upgrading the gimbals on my X7 to M7 hall effect types. But I am still debating whether to use the M7 or the M7R for the left stick to reduce throttle travel.

What do y'all think?

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Can't say as I've ever felt that my throttle response was ever limited or dictated by the stick movement.

With I.C. engines I find that throttle response it is more a chemistry issue maintaining the proper flame front (air fuel mixture)

With electric power I actually slow down the torque as the instantaneous nature of the electric motor will stress gear trains and props.

So the short of this is go with the longer sticks. It also helps with the resolution. I find it helps a bit to have longer stick when hovering a helicopter.

FYI: I'm a "pinch" the sticks type flier as opposed to thumb pusher.

Hank

Active User
Reaction score
Can't say as I've ever felt that my throttle response was ever limited or dictated by the stick movement.

With I.C. engines I find that throttle response it is more a chemistry issue maintaining the proper flame front (air fuel mixture)

With electric power I actually slow down the torque as the instantaneous nature of the electric motor will stress gear trains and props.

So the short of this is go with the longer sticks. It also helps with the resolution. I find it helps a bit to have longer stick when hovering a helicopter.

FYI: I'm a "pinch" the sticks type flier as opposed to thumb pusher.
Thanks, Konrad.

What you say makes sense. I was thinking more in terms of effect on rudder when throttling up/down. I am a pinch flyer on the right stick, but thumb'er on the left stick because I hold the transmitter with the left hand. I don't use neck straps, especially when hand-launching a plane. I thought with the shorter travel throttle, I will less likely end up bumping the rudder when I didn't need to. I also considered going with the 3-axis stick on the right side and throttle only on the left stick, but that is quite a departure and would confuse me when I go back to use my old radio on the older planes.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
It doesn't have the stereo speakers. ;)

Just something FrSky did to make the radios different.
Like we need to be distracted listening to the "Ride of the Valkyrie" or to a podcast of Johathon Livingston Seagull:whistle:

Hank, I need to thank you and Wayne for finally getting me to retire my collection of Multiplex Profi 4000.
When I was at Aloft Hobbies taking care of another issue this X9E grabbed my wallet and came home with me!
https://forum.alofthobbies.com/inde...-not-ready-for-the-mass-market.227/#post-1814

Again great knowledgable customer service.
X9E.jpg