What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glider RX in the wing?

Akoaih

New User
Reaction score
I'm eyeing the Topmodel Elite V. In order to get better antenna diversity I was pondering putting the RX in the wing so I can run one antenna at 45 degrees into each side of the center wing panel. Ailerons and flaps would connect to the RX and an SBus to PWM converter in the fuse would handle the tail servos and motor. Mounting the RX to the bottom surface of the wing seems like it leaves the RX in a position to suffer hangar rash. Cutting into the wing in order to recess the RX could weaken the center joint.

Any thoughts?

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
There is a logic to putting the RX near the 4 wing controls verses next to the 3 fuselage controls. Take a look at this thread to see how the wing is built. I think the center section is strong enough to hold the Rx as long as the spar is kept intact.
https://forum.alofthobbies.com/inde...d-thread-on-alofts-forum.125/page-7#post-2141
https://alofthobbies.com/top-model-elite-v.html

Now if I was concerned with antenna placement I'd go with a redundant RX in the tail. The "Elite V" has a short 1.5m fuselage so 2 or three grams in the tail won't hurt.
https://alofthobbies.com/xm-plus.html

Or do this and use antenna mounts. The antenna come out close to 90°.
https://alofthobbies.com/antenna-fin-mount-transparent.html

Last edited:

Akoaih

New User
Reaction score
Thanks, Konrad. To minimize the material removed I had also thought of just removing enough sheeting so that I could mount the RX to the side of the center rib(s), instead of cutting into the rib itself.

I had not thought of putting an RX in the tail. That's interesting. I would be concerned about ensuring the RX lead and antennas did not interfere with the pushrods. Also, this doesn't do much for diversity.

I've looked at those antenna mounts but they look easy to damage, especially if storing the fuse in a bag.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I'd try to mount the RX inside the wing by attaching it to the top sheeting from the inside. You could tape the RX to the bottom of the wing. Just make sure it is down enough that should the wing bolts (nylon) shear, the fuse would cut the thick double sided tape and not slice (crush) the RX.

I’m thinking a second redundant RX in the tail (four antennae) would be best if your primary RX supports this. But as you can see in the Samsara build I had no issue with keeping the RX in the conventional location.

Smooth push rods should not interfere with the SBus leads back to the primary RX.
But I hate push rods and their associated control issues with flex and weight. With the Elite V I’d place the V-tail servos in the V-tail. The panels are thick enough for this. It makes a noticeable improvement in control response. The wiring harness if keeping PWM servos would only need to have 5 wires. The rear servos and RX would share the same power bus bar (leads). With that nose this might actually make a lighter set up putting the servos in the back. Unless you are going to use a light weight small, deep gear boxed motor.

As there is little carbon in the Elite V, antenna orientation (yes 90° is a goal) really isn’t of too much concern. I like putting the antenna outside the fuselage to get the signal around that large battery and motor . Those “fins" work great and are easily replaced if ever damaged. I've only damage them with the dead fish (fuselage) sliding along the runway.

All the best,
Konrad

P.S.
Putting the rear RX antennae in tubes inside the V tail is another workable idea.

Last edited:

Akoaih

New User
Reaction score
Thanks again, Konrad. I'll order the Elite soon and then I'll be better able to see which mounting options work best.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
While I have done this in the past, I do find it easier to service if the receiver is in the fuselage. If for antenna reasons, I don't think it is a very good argument, the Elite V has plenty of room for the antennas inside the fuselage. If you are running something like the FrSky telemetry receivers, then no worries at all. That RSSI feedback will let you know if you have poor antenna placement. :)

Motowncali

Active User
Reaction score
I just saw this thread. In a DLG I put the receiver in the wingthrough the servo hatch. Since a DLG has a throwin* blade, I put the receiver in the opposite wing panel. Worked great. Batter, switch and tail servos were in the fuse. Four pin connector did the job of two signal wires and the positive and negative to the receiver. Worked great, full carbon fuse, glass wing.