What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

X9E aileron control issue

LarryG

New User
Reaction score
I have been having problems with my X9E aileron control. When operating the ailerons, they sometimes are very slow moving, don't go to their full throw setting, and don't always return to center. This has happened on three different aircraft with multiple receivers. This issue probably caused one of my planes to auger into the ground. Switched over to my X9D Plus and the ailerons worked properly on one of my planes; battery went Tango Uniform on the X9D so I had to order a new one, so I couldn't check the other airplanes. Any ideas?

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Have you run a calibration routine on the control stick. Also does the channel monitor show this behavior.

LarryG

New User
Reaction score
Did the calibration. The ailerons now show the behavior I explained above. Takes seconds for the ailerons to center. After moving the aileron stick several times, it finally would snap to center like it should. The other controls snap to center like they should the first time. I think there is something wrong with the ailerons. This explains why I have trouble controlling the airplane in flight sometimes, and actually crashed one. Guess I'm out of luck for a while. Aloft Hobbies does repair, right?

LarryG

New User
Reaction score
Thanks, Konrad. I will contact them about getting my tx repaired.
Konrad--do you this the problem is with the gimbals? They look simple to replace and would be a whole lot cheaper and quicker to replace myself.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Without knowing the gimbal Pot output I couldn't say where the issue is. But all the stuff that makes up our toy radios is easily replaceable. Be it at the assembly level or board level. Now at the discrete component level some parts might be beyond the scope of many modlers.

But to your question, yes you should be able to replace the gimbals yourself.

Disclaimer:
Please do not rework any of the RF section unless you have the tools, license and knowledge to work on RF components.

Last edited:

LarryG

New User
Reaction score
Flew a "sacrificeable" plane this evening. The radio worked like it is supposed to with no glitches. Still don't know if I should trust it, especially with a more expensive airplane. As soon as I get the new battery for my X9D+, I will try it.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Was this sacrificial plane flown on the X9E with the aileron issue? Other than the dead battery is there an issue with the X9D+?

Have you checked that the aileron pot is secured in the gimbal, body and shaft are not loose in their gimbal housings? Sounds like you might have a mechanical rather than electrical issue with the aileron gimbal

LarryG

New User
Reaction score
The X9D+ operates just fine. Got the new battery a couple of days ago but I haven't been able try it out yet due to weather. I checked to X9E gimbal. Seems there was one screw that had backed out quite a bit. Tightened that down and checked all the others; now the stick snaps back like it should with no delays. Maybe that was the problem. Lets hope so, I will continue to keep an eye on it. Thanks you so much for your help. You may have saved me a lot of money.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
My pleasure.
Now do perform a stick calibration to train the radio to the limits of the "repositioned" pot

Was the issue that the stick did not return to center or that the aileron servo did not follow the stick?

If the spring tension was so loose as to not allow the stick to return to center. Upping the tension should have fixed this issue. These gimbals allow one to custom set this tension to ones own preference.

I thought the issue was that the pot was loose in the gimbal housing (servo did not follow the stick). A loose pot would have explained the erratic behavior.

But you mention "snaps back like it should with no delays" leads me to think you just had the gimbal tension to low, if so then the radio was always following the stick movement.

Reading the manual from my X9E I see it is very deficient in covering how to properly use and adjust the gimbals.

The Taranis User Manuals go into detail about this.
https://alofthobbies.com/taranis-plus-user-manual.html

Scott Page

Very Strong User
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like it MAY be a dodgy wire in the gimbal.. I'd start by swapping the gimbals out for new. If Hall sensor gimbals are available for the X9E (not sure) then this would be a great upgrade.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score

LarryG

New User
Reaction score
Don't know how old the radio is since I bought it used. I've only had it a couple of months. I will continue to use it with my "expendable" airplane until I'm sure it works properly and consistently. I might be able to contact the guy I bought it from to find out how old it is. That could determine if it is time to replace the gimbals. My X9D+ is new. Got it for Christmas last year and didn't start using it until March or April. Again, thank you guys for your inputs.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
The X9E really isn't that old a radio. It really is more a matter of use. I assume that since it was sold used that the previous owner wasn't using it much and therefor sold it. But do check the connections.

Can you post a photo of the screws you tightened?

ogopogo

New User
Reaction score
had exactly same issue on ailerons only. played with gimbal harness and it went away. ordered and just received new M9 gimbals

LarryG

New User
Reaction score
Thanks ogopogo. Unfortunately, Aloft is out of stock on the upgrade package.

Wingfloat

New User
Reaction score
I have been having problems with my X9E aileron control. When operating the ailerons, they sometimes are very slow moving, don't go to their full throw setting, and don't always return to center. This has happened on three different aircraft with multiple receivers. This issue probably caused one of my planes to auger into the ground. Switched over to my X9D Plus and the ailerons worked properly on one of my planes; battery went Tango Uniform on the X9D so I had to order a new one, so I couldn't check the other airplanes. Any ideas?
I have been working on this problem for several years on my X9E. It turns out it is bad gimbal wiring connections. Get some Deoxit and clean all the connections. Unfortunately the connectors are not gold plated like they were 40 years ago on any good quality set.