What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RX8R Pro binding problems

LazyB

New User
Reaction score
I purchased a new RX8R Pro Rx and cannot get it to bind by following the instructions in the package.
I went ahead and upgraded my Open Tx version to 2.2.1 even though I was told that I would not have to...(they were wrong) I had to in order to be able to flash the newest firmware release to these brand new Rx's which I was only able to do once I was running the newer version of Open Tx

Here is what I've been able to do on my own:
1. Updated my Taranis X9D-Plus to Open Tx version to 2.2.1
2. Updated my Taranis X9D-Plus XJT firmware (internal module) to version 170317
3. Flashed firmware to new Rx- version RX8R_Pro_FCC180223

Still not binding!

What I'm trying to do is a redundant setup with an old X8R Rx as the slave.
HOW DO I DO THIS!!!! Please anyone.
I am so frustrated with Aloft Hobbies and their lack of customer support to paying customers it is ridiculous. I am seriously considering getting rid of my Frsky stuff because radio setup is a learning experience (PIA) every time. I just want to fly not do HOMEWORK.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I have no idea as to where your issues are. But in this thread you mention that all your models no longer bind since you did the 2.2.1 upgrade. I suspect you have a setting wrong on the model set up page (2/13). https://forum.alofthobbies.com/inde...etup-and-change-upgrade-the-rx.328/#post-2629
All 4 of my Fr-Sky Radios (three X9D+ and one X9E) work with 2.2.1

All of my computer radios be it the Ace MicroPro 8000, Futaba Super Seven, JR 8310, Multiplex Profi 4000 or Royal Evo12 require homework when I start setting up another program. Often times this take a week to get into the mindset of the program developer. Yes, even OpenTX gives me a bit of a hassle as there is often more than one way to do things. Once I remember why I did the things the way I did, things start to flow naturally. OpenTX is very nice in that it is open source (nobody is trying to protect "proprietary information") this can't be said of many of the programs of old.

Have you seen this thread in the Fr-Sky section?
https://forum.alofthobbies.com/index.php?threads/rx8r-pro-binding-problem.276/page-2

Last edited:

LazyB

New User
Reaction score
I have even resorted to attempting to re-do the steps I followed to get me to this point thinking maybe I did something wrong. 2nd attempt and same results.
Nothing works.
Does Aloft do repairs? I want to just send them my radio and have them fix it.

LazyB

New User
Reaction score
Perhaps pictures may help me explain

20180612_134409.jpg

20180612_134240.jpg

now on my 2nd attempt I can no longer get the firmware flash options screen to work. It's almost like it is locked somehow. Here is what it will let me do...

20180612_160721.jpg

none of my Rx's will link to my Tx!
How do I begin again? I obviously don't want to lose my models that are already saved to the card.
I have copies/backups of my stuff before I began this disaster but I don't have a clue how to go back to it.
Is there a video out there as to how to restore a previous setup?

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Yes, Aloft Hobbies is the North American repair facility.

Are you using Open Tx's Companion program?

LazyB

New User
Reaction score
So how do I get them to give me a call to have them REPAIR my stuff?? :cry::sick:
Yes I'm using Companion. I've tried attempt number 3 or was it 4 last night still no luck.

I can't even get my Rx's to go to bind mode anymore. They just sit with the red and green lights both on solid (upon power up with F/S pressed) for a bit then they go to green OFF and red BLINKING (signal lost).

I am thinking I may resort to a FACTORY RESET tonight then try reflashing Open Tx back to the Tx since I already have it on my computer (as companion).
Here are the 2 methods I've attempted to follow with no success.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score

LazyB

New User
Reaction score
I've tried that contact us link with multiple question emails. While one of the emails (only 1 so far) was answered, it raised more questions thus making the problems worse IMHO. o_O
Where as a person can seemingly get a lot more accomplished by just picking up a phone and talking with the customers.
:unsure: :eek:

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Maybe.
I find that emails are far beter as they can give links to the answers. The phone eats up a lot of time particularly when trying to work through various layers of programing architecture. I for one like it when customer support directs me to the relevant reference material. This almost always saves me time and the vendor time allowing for lowering costs.My cost in shipping and their's in manpower.

Yes, at time I too have punted and sent the components/system back to for service. I had a radio that would not work with a Windows machine. Windows did not read the USB port to allow mounting the drive. But Aloft using a MAC was able to mount the drive and perform the upgrade from 2.0.9 to 2.2.1 . Yes, it can a benefit to send the radio back for service.

Sorry I can't help with your issue. But if you have been using OpenTx Companion and the models are backed up on your computer a reset to default setting might be worth the effort. Again I don't know what precautions you made prior to attempting a firmware update.

LazyB

New User
Reaction score
According to this video I may have a "conflict between firmware on Tx vs Rx (he begins to talk about it around 5.30 into video) EU vs International...:mad:

will try again later! :cry:

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
That's a regulatory "power and band use issue" with the EU. Do you recall which one you down loaded. As I recall Companion asks you how you want to configure your radio prior to going out and looking for the latest firmware updates. Some of these setting are EU setting, FAI setting , Luna script, etc. This is all part of the power and flexibility that is FrSky and OpenTX.

LazyB

New User
Reaction score
So after much head scratching, fist biting, and lots of :censored:...
I had to dump the "XJT" firmware folder that I downloaded from the FrSky website. The EU firmware is the only one that would show up when SD card was viewed through my Taranis. Had to delete their folder and it's contents, create my own with another name, drop the Non EU version into that folder then I was able to actually re-flash the XJT module.

After I re-flashed the module my Taranis can once again connect/bind to my existing models with the X8R's in them. :love:
I still cannot get it to bind to the RX8R- Pro Rx's....o_O :censored: :mad: once I repower it no green. all I get is a flashing RED light.

So after updating to the newer Open Tx and lots of :mad: I'm right back where I began.

Can someone please shed some light on how to bind these RX8R-Pro's please?

LazyB

New User
Reaction score
I have tried this method...

I am using a slave X8R and the RX8R Pro
cannot get it to work.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
That looks like a problem with your power supply to the RX. As the servo starts to move the the battery can't supply the needed power (current). Have you tried a lower current demanding servo or a larger battery/BEC (power supply Vss)?

Last edited:

tvoth3

New User
Reaction score
UPDATE: Nevermind. I'm an idiot. Bad RX battery...

I am having problems binding the RX8R pro I just got as well.
Can get an initial bind but then the reciever flashes red/green alternating. Radio reports initial telemetry connection and then low rssi then telemetry lost etc...
Any thoughts? I can successfully bind the XM+ I am using for the redundancy reciever to the same model number.
--Tom

Last edited:

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to us with your findings.

"Telemetry lost" is usually just the front end of the receiver getting swamped. Moving the TX away a few feet cures this. I think there are a few firmware updates that address this, but I haven't used them as my fix is to move the TX.

Last edited:

mervintt

New User
Reaction score
I am unable to bind my RX8R Pro also with the DJT Module. Please help anyone ?

My Radio is RM TX12 Mkii (elrs)

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I think this is a Radio Master problem. Check the documentation as to which RF protocols and their revision number are used. Make sure the RF protocols match between the RX and TX. Note this is not an OpenTX issue but Radio Frequency protocol issue