What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas Powered Glider Tug problem with RX8 RX

AussieBob

New User
Reaction score
Thanks for checking that the reach is different. They both show on NGK site they both have resistor. But I picked up a BPMR6A this morning and I am going to try it to see if it makes any difference to the RF.

AussieBob

New User
Reaction score
Well I'll be!
Changed to the correct plug, problem solved! Both plugs are listed as resistor, so it shouldn't make any difference!
I will need to run a redundant receiver to make sure signal is strong.

I have a club full of glider pilots who are waiting for me to get in the air so they can fly their favorite glider.

Does anyone have a spare redundant receiver? RX8R or RX8Rpro

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Thank you!!!
I wish more folks on the "internet" would close the loop like you did. Far too many ask for help and then runaway without so much as a thank you.

AussieBob

New User
Reaction score
I feel much more confident that this aircraft will now get in the air, thanks to the help of the many in this forum. Several of you including Wayne pointed to the plug as the point of possible RF problem.
So a big thanks to everybody. But I still need a redundant receiver to get airborne.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I think FrSky will be getting us our restock shipment sometime next week.
I don't know if we will have the PRO or not..

AussieBob

New User
Reaction score
Just an update, I received an RX8R pro rx and installed it. Also installed an XM+ redundant in the rear of the fuselage. Range numbers are higher than I have ever seen on this model without the motor running. I then ran the motor and have no RF interference and excellent range numbers, much higher than on other models.
The weather has been too windy to get out and test at the field, but I cant wait for a good day and I will be out to test the range and hopefully fly the model!

BigD61

New User
Reaction score
I just want to add my experience is almost identical to KennyMc description. NGH-17cc, Frsky S8R receiver. Lockup requires receiver power cycle to link with Tx. Issue was corrected by installing the small spring in the spark plug cap and ensuring a good lock on cap to spark plug. Next run no issue. Also for what it is worth, the electric tachometer did not work when receiver had lockup issue.

Jim0000

New User
Reaction score
I have had the same problem using a X8R receiver in a CDI 40 cc powered tug plane. Crashed on maiden. Rebuilt and flown, but fortunately it failed again on the ground while tied down doing engine telemetry tests.
I have now got rid of all my "X" series receivers after reading many reports of similar lockouts. See this thread and others:

I now have a good stock of the older "D" series receivers as I swapped my fabled "X" series receivers for some to add to my stock.
I figure what "D" series I have now will serve me for the remainder of my active modelling career.

I will be very happy to leave behind me all the notices about "emergency upgrade required" and the like.

FrSky is sadly going the way of other former very good companies; Toyota, Volkswagen, Boeing et. al.

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I still have high hopes for FrSky.

FrSky has been adding better filtering for use with ignition systems. Just one of the features they build in these days but don't bother to tell people.