What's new
Aloft Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunset beach camping un May.

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Well ya have a choice...Are ya going to bring anything...well are ya?
Go Ahead Monk...make my day!

Well lads what are you going to bring to this gala fete?

Do tell!

PICS PICS PICS!!!!

Doc James AKA "Hambone the impaler"

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
IMG_8954-Large-1000x698.jpg

For those that may not know James is asking about the Annual Sunset State Beach Camp n' Fly weekend we sponsor in California on the weekend of May 5-6. This is a really nice site right in the middle of a state campground. If you are interested in joining us you may want to see if there are any campsites left. If there aren't don't worry, we might be able to squeeze you into one of our sites if you don't mind sharing.

Sunset is a always a great time, it is sand dune right off the ocean with sand or ice plant to land in. So far we have not been skunked on the weather. (knock on wood) This is the 5th annual event! We get a great mix of planes, normally the lift will be light in the morning hours, so floaters and some small electrics can be seen on the slope, then as the day progresses the lift grows and the heavier ships start showing. After the flying is over we head own to our campsites, warm up with some yummy food and usually share stories and such. Always a good time! Hope you all can make it!

Attachments

• Pene 2.JPG
    Pene 2.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 20170506_143124_resized.jpg
    20170506_143124_resized.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 20170506_130830.jpg
    20170506_130830.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1678.JPG
    IMG_1678.JPG
    493.8 KB · Views: 159
  • c420adbc3b1c84be5879f203b7cc67e2.jpg
    c420adbc3b1c84be5879f203b7cc67e2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 155
  • sunset_state_beach_campground.jpg
    sunset_state_beach_campground.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 232
  • 1517635403.jpeg
    1517635403.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 469

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Here is the plane I think I might be able to have ready for the events:
hqdefault.jpg

Been keeping busy lately... My wife is out of town and I have been thinking about taking over the kitchen counter for those 3 meter wings. :)

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Kitchen counters, heck I take over the whole kitchen! And with the speed I build, I loose about 40 lbs by the time I'm finished with a 3 meter ship!

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Kitchen counters, heck I take over the whole kitchen! And with the speed I build, I loose about 40 lbs by the time I'm finished with a 3 meter ship!
That's why I didn't do it the last time she left me at home alone. It would still be there on her return and I would be dead meat!

"But honey, I couldn't move it until the glue cures."

"I don't understand why you are so upset.."

"Ahh, that? It will buff right out of the countertop."

"What? Why no, I'm not hiding anything under my shoe.. I think that mark was already in the brand new floors..."

Hmm, I might be having second thoughts about this plan.

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
That's why I didn't do it the last time she left me at home alone. It would still be there on her return and I would be dead meat!

"But honey, I couldn't move it until the glue cures."

"I don't understand why you are so upset.."

"Ahh, that? It will buff right out of the countertop."

"What? Why no, I'm not hiding anything under my shoe.. I think that mark was already in the brand new floors..."

Hmm, I might be having second thoughts about this plan.

Woo...sounds horribly familiar...What can you do? Women!

Diceman

Reaction score
Word of advise to all you would be campers, the raccoons invade at night! Make sure to put away your coolers in your vehicles even if they lock with a twist lock. The raccoons will open them! I saw a raccoon get into someones cooler and the raccoons had a nice steak dinner! LOL

Diceman

Reaction score
Ok. Here is a design for the t-shirts for the Sunset event. I make them myself so if anyone wants one I do need to know far in advance. Probably going to have one more design, but here is one.
Good, bad? Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_4712.JPG
    IMG_4712.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 174

Diceman

Reaction score
Thank James!

Ok, new design everyone seems to like better. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_5027.JPG
    IMG_5027.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 150

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Jeremy, I have absolutely no talent whatsoever with graphic designs or colours - that why I always ask for help.:p

I like all of these designs very much, but maybe the last one does have the edge.

Yowser!:love:

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Actually, just thinking about it, organizing an event like this is a thankless task.o_O

There really is so much to do, and so many small things to think about. I'm just really happy that there are people like Jeremy who have the enthusiasm to do it.

Julia and I are really looking forward to it, and we'd like to thank Jeremy for his great efforts!

Remember - having fun will be rigidly enforced!:cool::D

J&J in Taiwan.

Doc James Hammond

Very Strong User
Reaction score
I'm bringing:

Aresti 2M
Stormbird
Schwing
Schwing Corsa
Redshift F3f

And I think Wayne will have a Gremlin.

Plus I'm donating a Schwing 88 to some lucky raffle winner...talk to the Diceman.

Not only that...ALL OF THEM (Except the raffle plane) WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR TRIAL FLYING!!!

Oh yeah...

James & Julia.

Konrad

Very Strong User
Reaction score
Wow, I just got back from two days at the Camp and Fly gathering. Good weather, good friends and good food, what more could one ask for.

Well, that would be the great organization by Jeremy. Much to my surprise there was a bowl of great spaghetti waiting for us at the top of the hill for lunch. I don’t know how it was done but it was the rival of any you would get at the best Italian restaurants in Manhattan. And to top it off there was no sand in the sauce. This is no small feat with 20 mph winds on a sand dune!

Jeremy had some of the best raffle prizes I’ve ever seen. I think I saw an unobtanium Dream Flight “ahi”. And from James Hammond I saw a high performance carbon molded sloper (Schwing 88). It was such a nice piece of kit that I stayed on the hill leaving my wife to sit waiting outside the Monterey Bay Aquarium, while I tried for a chance to win the raffel. Actually I’m glad I didn’t win it as I know I couldn’t do justice to the model. You guys have no idea how hard it was for me to admit that!

Wayne of Aloft Hobbies gave away some stuff that he admitted was just collecting dust in his shop. Now it wasn't modern but it was nice vintage stuff. I’m sure it has gone to a good home.

I really like that the soaring community really pulled together to help the younger ones at the site. I recall a large troop of young kids coming by with the usual kid questions. Everyone was very indulgent and friendly towards these kids.

I recall a young flier having damaged his glider early on. It looked like he was out of the game for the whole weekend. Again Jeremy stood up and gave the young lad his ready to fly Zulu. Well done Jeremy!

Jeremy and Aloft Hobbies, Thank You for putting on a great gathering!

Well now I need to up my game, its been about 15 years since I last sloped, and it showed!
Again Thanks to all that where involved in getting this together

Thanks,

Konrad

P.S.
I need to give Chris (Aloft Hobbies) a big thank you for finding my lost UMX ASK 21.

Last edited:

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
That was a lot of fun, and such a great gathering. Really only one mid air that was not part of combat fun. That is amazing considering all of the planes in the air.

Here are a few pictures.

Anytime you can camp and have sexy gliders to play with is a check mark in the WIN column!
sunset - 1.jpg
Even if some guy is a little hungry and tries to eat one of the planes.
sunsetsb - 1.jpg
We were serving coffee and breakfast burritos on Sunday morning, so we had an audience in the trailer...Mmmm bacon!
sunset - 2.jpg
Have you seen my plane?
sunsetsb - 2.jpg

More below.

Attachments

• sunset2 - 1.jpg
    sunset2 - 1.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 139
  • sunsetsb - 3.jpg
    sunsetsb - 3.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 144
  • sunsetsb - 4.jpg